inattentive drivers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

inattentive drivers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: inattentive drivers

Postby Metroid » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:25 pm

knapplc wrote:
Metroid wrote:Yeah now that I think about it I guess I have seen them do that before just not so much in Oregon or Cali. :-?

I think in Cali they're more worried about "real" crime rather than traffic violations. It's a good thing that they have time to spend catching speeders here, I guess. Well, that and the odd drug bust from the mules running up and down I-80.

Ain't that the truth. :-b

Yeah when you mentioned how you see them all the time in the median there in Nebraska it made me think of what other states I've driven in. I remember in Texas seeing troopers in the center of the highway a lot, also through Arizona. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:44 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i'm gonna disagree here...you want to give tickets, find a location that isnt in the middle of traffic

I think he's commenting less on the giving of the tickets than he is just ranting about shatty drivers not obeying the law. In Oregon we have the same law, you must get over as far as possible and slow down if there is an emergency vehicle on either shoulder. If you see an emergency vehicle on the right shoulder get over to the left, if you see an emergency vehicle on the median get over to the right. The law applies to police vehicles, firetrucks, ambulances, tow trucks, and even people broke down on the side of the road.

maybe i read the OP wrong, but it sounded like the cop is just chilling with his radar gun and his car halfway into the lane...in that case move the hell over before you cause an accident...but yeah, if he's got someone pulled over or there's an ambulance or whatever then move out of the way.

When they redid 465 (the beltway) and I-70, they put in extra wide shoulders on both sides and concrete barriers between northbound and southbound, so if someone had to pull off on to either shoulder, there'd be enough room for them to do it safely. So now the police use it to sit there and clock people. It's particularly bad on 70, where the dividers are high and the curves are sharp enough that you can't see around them. State troopers will sit there on the left shoulder, and drivers can't see them till they're right on top of them. This of course results in lots of people stomping on their brakes and is exacerbated by the limited line of sight of the traffic behind them. I'm surprised there aren't multi-car pileups every week.

Sometimes they will go half-on half-off the shoulder/left lane when they're pulling over multiple cars at the same time. Happened to me last night. An unmarked car that I'd spotted from behind started to pull someone over, got them to the shoulder, and pulled part way back out to gesture other cars over. There was a semi next to me so I couldn't change lanes, and as I came up on the cop he was still gesturing to the median, so I thought he wanted me, too. I pulled behind him, he walked up to the car in front of his cruiser that he'd stopped, talked to them, comes back to me and says "Oh I didn't mean you, I was just giving too many signals I guess, you can go" and then walks back to the vehicle stopped behind me. Now, I'm two feet off the bumper of his cruiser, have a minivan right behind me so I can't see any oncoming traffic and have no room to accelerate. I had to sit there while he wrote the guy behind me up. Then he comes walking back up to me and says 'let's get you out of here' and a moment later yells "GO NOW!" so on blind faith I had to angle sharply enough to get around his cruiser, floor it to pick up speed, and then angle back before crossing out of the other side of the lane.

Arrghh... there I go ranting again. Needless to say, it's not been a good week of commutes for scott.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:41 pm

State troopers regularly hang out in the median on the interstates in Illinois too. They're usually parked slightly angled though, so there's no danger of their cruisers sticking out into traffic. Parts of the interstate with grass medians are usually wide enough for two cruisers to park front to end if they wanted to.

I've seen cars that refuse to move out of the left lane when an ambulance or state trooper come blaring their siren and flashing their lights. I even saw one car cut off and run a state trooper into the grass median. Some people are just clueless.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:43 pm

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby boojumsnark25 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:07 am

Eh, I don't get worked up about it. I would be willing to wager that everyone hear has gotten the ol' horn honk and 1 finger salute for being careless, or at least done something less than perfect in a car. I used to get all bent out of shape, but then I figure that when I make a stupid mistake, I'd be pissed if someone else started freaking out.

Let him who is without driving error make the next complaint :-b
boojumsnark25
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:44 pm

boojumsnark25 wrote:Eh, I don't get worked up about it. I would be willing to wager that everyone hear has gotten the ol' horn honk and 1 finger salute for being careless, or at least done something less than perfect in a car. I used to get all bent out of shape, but then I figure that when I make a stupid mistake, I'd be pissed if someone else started freaking out.

Let him who is without driving error make the next complaint :-b

I'm a perfect driver. :-° Now get bent. ;-7 :-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:52 pm

Metroid wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Metroid wrote:Yeah now that I think about it I guess I have seen them do that before just not so much in Oregon or Cali. :-?

I think in Cali they're more worried about "real" crime rather than traffic violations. It's a good thing that they have time to spend catching speeders here, I guess. Well, that and the odd drug bust from the mules running up and down I-80.

Ain't that the truth. :-b

Yeah when you mentioned how you see them all the time in the median there in Nebraska it made me think of what other states I've driven in. I remember in Texas seeing troopers in the center of the highway a lot, also through Arizona. :-?

I live in Texas and have never seen that. :-?

I have seen people get pulled over a couple of times on the interstate and that was nearly always by a cop driving on the interstate and an idiot blowing past him. At least in the day. I drive to work at night, so have seen more people getting pulled over then. I never got pulled over until I started driving to work at 3 am and it has been three times in about 6 months. None of them have resulted in a warning or ticket, but were just random lame excuses each time. (no blinker, wide right turn, and registration was out on computer, but after looking at my sticker he said it must have been a glitch). :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:51 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
I live in Texas and have never seen that. :-?

I have seen people get pulled over a couple of times on the interstate and that was nearly always by a cop driving on the interstate and an idiot blowing past him. At least in the day. I drive to work at night, so have seen more people getting pulled over then. I never got pulled over until I started driving to work at 3 am and it has been three times in about 6 months. None of them have resulted in a warning or ticket, but were just random lame excuses each time. (no blinker, wide right turn, and registration was out on computer, but after looking at my sticker he said it must have been a glitch). :-b

Yeah if you're out on the roads past midnight cops will generally try to find any reason they can to pull you over. It's not that they're trying to be @ssholes, they're just looking for DWI's and drugs. 99% of the time if all you did was fail to put on a turn signal or something they'll let you go. They're just being aggressive in trying to catch drunk drivers and drug runners, which is exactly what we as a society should be wanting them to do.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:39 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:I live in Texas and have never seen that. :-?

You may not have noticed, but Texas is kind of a big place. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:41 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:I live in Texas

Sorry.

:-b
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk