Vikes Training Camp - AD looking better than last year. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vikes Training Camp - AD looking better than last year.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Vikes Training Camp - AD looking better than last year.

Postby thedude » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:09 pm

What was the last time a team claimed a guy looked "worse than last year?" Every year everyone is in the best shape of their careers, or so they say. Obviously that cannot be true. AP will probably have an amazing year. And it is expected that a sophomore will be better than a rookie. Nevertheless i would take anything said during training camp with a grain of salt.
thedude
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:15 pm

thedude wrote:What was the last time a team claimed a guy looked "worse than last year?" Every year everyone is in the best shape of their careers, or so they say. Obviously that cannot be true. AP will probably have an amazing year. And it is expected that a sophomore will be better than a rookie. Nevertheless i would take anything said during training camp with a grain of salt.

I hear this alot, and its really not true...Not everyone looks great during the off-season, not everyone is a pro bowler at this time of the year, matter of fact I have heard and read about quite a few guys struggling and looking bad: John Beck, Troy Smith, Javon Walker, Mike Jenkins, Jerome Simpson, and I'm sure the list is alot longer...Some guys really do look good in training camp, that is a possibility, but its not like every report you read is all positives because I have seen just as much about guys struggling throughout camp.

Obviously you take it with a grain of salt, but I have seen reports give both sides of guys play.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby My team is injured » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:36 am

LS2throwed wrote:I hear this alot, and its really not true...Not everyone looks great during the off-season, not everyone is a pro bowler at this time of the year, matter of fact I have heard and read about quite a few guys struggling and looking bad: John Beck, Troy Smith, Javon Walker, Mike Jenkins, Jerome Simpson, and I'm sure the list is alot longer...Some guys really do look good in training camp, that is a possibility, but its not like every report you read is all positives because I have seen just as much about guys struggling throughout camp.

There are a whole hell of a lot more reports about players looking great this time of year than negative news coming out, especially for non-injured, entrenched starters. Not saying you can't take anything from the pre-season as that was the main reason I picked up Colston prior to the season starting his rookie year, but I agree with the above poster to not put too much stock into camp reports on their own.
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:08 am

LS2throwed wrote:
thedude wrote:What was the last time a team claimed a guy looked "worse than last year?" Every year everyone is in the best shape of their careers, or so they say. Obviously that cannot be true. AP will probably have an amazing year. And it is expected that a sophomore will be better than a rookie. Nevertheless i would take anything said during training camp with a grain of salt.

I hear this alot, and its really not true...Not everyone looks great during the off-season, not everyone is a pro bowler at this time of the year, matter of fact I have heard and read about quite a few guys struggling and looking bad: John Beck, Troy Smith, Javon Walker, Mike Jenkins, Jerome Simpson, and I'm sure the list is alot longer...Some guys really do look good in training camp, that is a possibility, but its not like every report you read is all positives because I have seen just as much about guys struggling throughout camp.

Obviously you take it with a grain of salt, but I have seen reports give both sides of guys play.

True, but I wish I had the patience to run some kind of statistical analysis on how this news translated to actual performance during the season.

If I recall, last year Lendale, Portis, and Westbrook were the guys that were looking bad in camp, and all had great seasons relative to what was expected of them.

The guys who looked good were a little bit better, with lots being made of how good Randy Moss looked (which worked out), but TONS of other guys "looked great" and never amounted to a thing.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby treat24 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:39 am

Watch out for our secret defense. Bollinger at Safety and Booty at Linebacker... intimidated? I thought so :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby RiffRaff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:48 am

treat24 wrote:Watch out for our secret defense. Bollinger at Safety and Booty at Linebacker... intimidated? I thought so :-b

And the Vikes will be signing Trent Dilfer to Play a Deep Stinger position.

In all seriousness though, it's a good way to make Brooks earn his training camp money. ;-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:50 pm

treat24 wrote:Watch out for our secret defense. Bollinger at Safety and Booty at Linebacker... intimidated? I thought so :-b

More intimidated than I am by the thought of either of them lining up under center.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk