2008 Lions Training camp updates - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

2008 Lions Training camp updates

Moderator: Football Moderators

2008 Lions Training camp updates

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:05 pm

OK, here goes, another year. These have been a huge success in the past, so just post your thoughts or articles(don't forget to link them). MSB started this a couple years ago and I did it last year. A lot of mine will come from mlive and Killer. Take them for what they are worth. I liek Killer, but don't always agree with him or his articles, but they are a good starting point.....fire away
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2008 Lions Training camp updates

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:14 pm

Healthy Lions

detnews wrote:The Lions' offseason conditioning program and the practice habits stressed by head coach Rod Marinelli have paid dividends in the first week of training camp.

The Lions have had no serious injuries to front-line players. Wednesday marked the seventh day of training camp, and the team remains in good health.

"It's very encouraging that we've practiced as hard as we practice -- and we practice hard -- and that we haven't had any serious injuries," head athletic trainer Dean Kleinschmidt said in his daily press briefing Wednesday morning.

"I attribute that to the conditioning of the team, and that he (Marinelli) has a practice-safety lecture every day. He tells them what he expects, and how to protect your teammates."

Nice to see. I have said before that the Lions have had poor trainers or something. They have a large number of injuries and bad conditioning compared to other teams. I've posted before about other teams doing streatching on the field before games while the Lions do not. Hopefully they can continue to stay healthy.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:20 pm

Shaun Cody
mlive wrote: Shaun Cody looks different this year.

The Detroit Lions defensive tackle, for the first time since joining the team as a second-round draft pick in 2005, showed up at training camp looking, well, normal.

In years past, Cody would be sporting some kind of eccentric hairstyle, either shaving his head bald, dyeing his hair blonde or growing a Mohawk.

While Cody has straightened up his appearance, he's done the same thing with his approach to football. Entering the final year of his contract, Cody has admittedly underperformed in his first three years in the league.

A toe injury slowed him down in 2006, but he was healthy last year -- even if his numbers weren't. Cody didn't have a single sack last season and knocked down just one pass.

dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 pm

CJ2

mlive wrote:Detroit Lions cornerback Ramzee Robinson lined up against receiver Calvin Johnson in one-on-one coverage during a play in Monday's camp workout. Johnson was running a fade route and, when they both took off, they were stride for stride.

When the ball finally came down, Johnson was five yards ahead of Robinson and caught the touchdown pass.

"The dude is a monster, man,'' Robinson said afterward. "A lot of guys out here, you can just line up and stay in a foot race with them and run up on the ball and make a play. He's just a different beast, man. There's something about when the ball's in the air, the cat has that extra gear. When you line up against him, you've got to jump on your horse -- and then some.''

"He's a ... I don't know. I'm speechless when it comes to him. He's fast, big, strong, athletic, you name it,'' Bodden said. "I played him in the preseason last year but I only saw him for a little bit. Now, seeing him all the time, I am amazed at how big he is. He's probably the biggest receiver in the league right now and he's so fast. He's just got a lot of talent. He's going to be a good one for a long time.''

and

mlive wrote:After a mediocre rookie season – at least according to expectations – that saw him battling a back injury during most games, Calvin Johnson is going to blow up this season. And Tom Kowalski not just talking about the 1,300 yards and 10 touchdowns kind of "blow up."

In fact, MLive's Lions Insider thinks those kind of numbers are a bit low for the man they call Megatron for his eyeball popping blend of size, speed, hands and attitude.

"It's just unbelievable what Johnson can do. You can't cover him with one guy; it's just impossible."

First article, is that good for our WRs (CJ2) or bad for our CBs (Robinson) :-b

Second - these are the kinds of things that leave a bad taste in peoples mouth about him :-/
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:45 pm

dream_017 wrote:Shaun Cody
mlive wrote: Shaun Cody looks different this year.

The Detroit Lions defensive tackle, for the first time since joining the team as a second-round draft pick in 2005, showed up at training camp looking, well, normal.

In years past, Cody would be sporting some kind of eccentric hairstyle, either shaving his head bald, dyeing his hair blonde or growing a Mohawk.

While Cody has straightened up his appearance, he's done the same thing with his approach to football. Entering the final year of his contract, Cody has admittedly underperformed in his first three years in the league.
A toe injury slowed him down in 2006, but he was healthy last year -- even if his numbers weren't. Cody didn't have a single sack last season and knocked down just one pass.

maybe he can have a slightly above average year and we can sign him to a $50 million dollar contract [cough]Corey Redding[/cough]
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:53 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:maybe he can have a slightly above average year and we can sign him to a $50 million dollar contract [cough]Corey Redding[/cough]

I was thinking the same exact thing, maybe he will have a real good year and then we overpay and he comes back to reality
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:39 pm

This article makes Kevin Smith and Dizon sound promising.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... in_dr.html

Kevin Smith looks strong in drills
by Tom Kowalski
Thursday July 31, 2008, 10:57 AM
Training camp observations:

• One of the best one-on-one drills to watch in camp is the running back blitz pickup session against a linebacker. It's a tough test for both players because the running back is standing still waiting to absorb the impact of a full-speed linebacker while the linebacker has to engage the back and then get past him in one fluid motion.

--- Linebacker Paris Lenon beat Tatum Bell cleanly on the first one-on-one matchup.

--- Rookie back Kevin Smith stuffed Alex Lewis, mostly because he stood his ground and allowed the action to come to him and didn't lunge at the blitzer. Smith also does a good job of keeping his head up and doesn't put it down, a mistake made by most young backs.

--- Brian Calhoun did a decent job initially on linebacker Teddy Lehman, but then had to hold him to stop him.

--- Rookie linebacker Jordon Dizon crushed Artose Pinner and bowled him over with a bullrush move. "I'd be thrilled if he did that in a game, but that's not really what we're working on,'' said defensive coordinator Joe Barry. The one-on-one drill is designed for linebackers to work on pass-rush moves -- like a club-and-rip or spin -- not to bullrush. The drill is also designed for backs to keep their feet moving side to side to combat the pass-rush moves.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:42 am

The Killer’s comments should always be taken with a grain of Cornbread. The man knows who cuts his checks and basically feeds us whatever the Lions want us to hear. That said I do think Franchise should make nice strides. I do worry that he has to change to a different system (sounds familiar, eh?) and it may take him time to own it.

Cody? Who is he other than a career underachiever looking to do whatever it takes to earn a spot and a chance at another pay day. If he makes it through the season uninjured I will be stunned. If he does anything I’ll be even more so.

Is any one a little concerned that we are hearing of the great blitz blocking that Smith is doing instead of busting out a great play or two? That really bothers me that I don’t recall reading about even one stellar play. And you know they would love to tell us anything good he does. And this is against our D. I'm getting a bit worried about that.

Any truth that Staton looks like crap? Again, should he run one good series and we would hear of how he is really coming on. But we aren't hearing it are we.

Believe in now! :-b

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:11 am

Not sure if this fits here, but maybe a lame Lions comment on the Great Jon Kitna. From Killer on MLive http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/07/lions_not_interested_in_favre.html

Lions not interested in Favre
by Tom Kowalski
Thursday July 31, 2008, 10:23 PM
Amid growing speculation that the Green Bay Packers would trade quarterback Brett Favre to an NFC North rival -- and Detroit was included in the mix -- both Lions president Matt Millen and head coach Rod Marinelli shot it down Thursday night.

"Nope, not at all,'' Millen said. "We love Brett Favre and we respect Favre and the Packers, but we're fine with the quarterbacks we have here.'''

When Marinelli was asked if the Lions had an interest in trading for Favre, he said: "No, we're not. He's a great player but we've got our quarterbacks now.''

Classic Lions. Don't even consider a move that might improve your team. Disregard it like it is the silliest thing you ever heard. Idiots.
I am not saying that Favre would help that much, but he would be better than Kitna. More importantly by not wanting to add another player more talented than what you have is the sort of silliness that has made the Lions a laughingstock. Sayeth the Moochman "If you are afraid to take the chance you'll never get to dance".

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:45 am

moochman wrote:And this is against our D. I'm getting a bit worried about that.

This is what always bothers me. We hear how good our Off is doing, but in reality it is just how bad our def is :-{

moochman wrote:Classic Lions. Don't even consider a move that might improve your team. Disregard it like it is the silliest thing you ever heard. Idiots.

Amazing that they would not even consider it :-t
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Next

Return to Detroit Lions