2008 Lions Training camp updates - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

2008 Lions Training camp updates

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2008 Lions Training camp updates

Postby RWLongy4 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:31 pm

"No, we're not. He's a great player but we've got our quarterbacks now.''

Since when!? We have a past his prime (if he ever had one to begin with) QB with no arm, no worries though because he has "good leadership". But hey I suppose when you compare it to who he is competing with he probably does look like a stud. I don't think Favre is any kind of answer, but if the price is right then there is no reason we should rule out a vet that could not only improve our team in the short run but maybe teach our young guys a thing or two about winning because we have very few on the team that actually know what its like.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:35 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:
"No, we're not. He's a great player but we've got our quarterbacks now.''

Since when!? We have a past his prime (if he ever had one to begin with) QB with no arm, no worries though because he has "good leadership". But hey I suppose when you compare it to who he is competing with he probably does look like a stud. I don't think Favre is any kind of answer, but if the price is right then there is no reason we should rule out a vet that could not only improve our team in the short run but maybe teach our young guys a thing or two about winning because we have very few on the team that actually know what its like.

Consider too, the impact of landing or even pursuing a player like Favre. The rest of the team couldn't help but think "Hey, maybe we are for real". Instead they can all rally around the Kristian Katapult Kitna as he leads the team to losses whenever the games mean anything.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby moochman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:41 am

Here is a little blurb from Yahoo:
Sat, Aug 2 Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said there haven't been too many big runs by RBs Tatum Bell and Kevin Smith so far. He noted the team has had some penalties and need to avoid shooting themselves in the foot. Bell and Smith are rotating into the offense. Marinelli said he has to wait until he gets them on film to see the cuts and vision they have on the field. "When you don't tackle them, it's hard to really (get a) feel," Marinelli said

This echoes my concerns over the lack of big play ability shown by Kevin Smith. But that isn’t the part that bothers me. What does is what Coach NimRod says. “He has to wait until he gets them on film to see the cuts and vision they have on the filed”. Why this bothers me is the I just read a blurb about McFadden and his OC says that he can see as the plays is being run how Run DMC is seeing the holes and making all the cuts that should be made.
So the Raider OC can tell the press about his RB’s progress, yet we have to wait and see how mastermind Marinelli thinks our boys look in on his beloved film.
Does he not trust OC Colletto views?
Can’t OC Colletto see a play develop in real time?
Or is there simply no vision or cut making to be seen by our running firm of Smith & Bell?
Is my cynical paranoia hitting mid-season form?

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:31 pm

moochman wrote:Here is a little blurb from Yahoo:
Sat, Aug 2 Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said there haven't been too many big runs by RBs Tatum Bell and Kevin Smith so far. He noted the team has had some penalties and need to avoid shooting themselves in the foot. Bell and Smith are rotating into the offense. Marinelli said he has to wait until he gets them on film to see the cuts and vision they have on the field. "When you don't tackle them, it's hard to really (get a) feel," Marinelli said

This echoes my concerns over the lack of big play ability shown by Kevin Smith. But that isn’t the part that bothers me. What does is what Coach NimRod says. “He has to wait until he gets them on film to see the cuts and vision they have on the filed”. Why this bothers me is the I just read a blurb about McFadden and his OC says that he can see as the plays is being run how Run DMC is seeing the holes and making all the cuts that should be made.
So the Raider OC can tell the press about his RB’s progress, yet we have to wait and see how mastermind Marinelli thinks our boys look in on his beloved film.
Or is there simply no vision or cut making to be seen by our running firm of Smith & Bell?

From that blurb, it sounds like we are already in mid-season form :-{
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby LT Blue Colt » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:02 pm

moochman wrote:Here is a little blurb from Yahoo:

:~( :~( :~( That's all I got.
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LT Blue Colt » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:06 pm

Yahoo Sports - Lions coach Rod Marinelli still would like to sign free agent linebacker Takeo Spikes, who visited Detroit before training camp. But it appears Spikes is waiting to see how training camps play out around the league before signing anywhere.

Hey did you guys see this one? I don't think it would be too bad. I've always like Spikes. Strong and kinda crazy. Fine with me. But, by the sounds of this rumor, he's holding Detroit as a last resort. :-b

LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:36 pm

LT Blue Colt wrote:
Yahoo Sports - Lions coach Rod Marinelli still would like to sign free agent linebacker Takeo Spikes, who visited Detroit before training camp. But it appears Spikes is waiting to see how training camps play out around the league before signing anywhere.

Hey did you guys see this one? I don't think it would be too bad. I've always like Spikes. Strong and kinda crazy. Fine with me. But, by the sounds of this rumor, he's holding Detroit as a last resort. :-b

Yeah it does. I don't know that were he to come here that it wouldn't just be another Woody type money grab.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:26 am

LT Blue Colt wrote:

Well 49ers got Spikes... Hopefully he ends up sucking. Would have been nice to have a solid vet to round out our linebacking core though :-t
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:27 am

RWLongy4 wrote:Well 49ers got Spikes... Hopefully he ends up sucking. Would have been nice to have a solid vet to round out our linebacking core though :-t

What does this say about the respect that NimRod gets in the league. Unless you were a Tampa Bay player you'd rather go play D in a new Martz regime in San Fran. hmmmmm San Fran or Detroit. I guess I can't damn that man for making that choice.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LT Blue Colt » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:18 pm

moochman wrote:
RWLongy4 wrote:Well 49ers got Spikes... Hopefully he ends up sucking. Would have been nice to have a solid vet to round out our linebacking core though :-t

What does this say about the respect that NimRod gets in the league. Unless you were a Tampa Bay player you'd rather go play D in a new Martz regime in San Fran. hmmmmm San Fran or Detroit. I guess I can't damn that man for making that choice.

Hell, the 49er's probably even offered him less $ and he took it. :-b :-D

LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Lions