2008 Lions Training camp updates - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

2008 Lions Training camp updates

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2008 Lions Training camp updates

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:07 am

Marinelli angry Lions lost out on Spikes
by Tom Kowalski | Opinion
Monday August 11, 2008, 3:56 PM

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli has been in a foul mood for the last two days because the Lions failed to land free agent linebacker Takeo Spikes, who signed with the San Francisco 49ers.

The Lions, who also failed to sign free agent Jonathan Vilma -- a high priority target -- are a bit handcuffed because of the salary cap. The 49ers originally offered Spikes $1.5 million and might have increased that offer. The Lions only have between $3 million to $4 million under the cap and need to save most of that money for signings during the season in case of injury.

Signing Spikes would've solidified Detroit's linebacking corps. Spikes would've started at strong side linebacker and allowed Paris Lenon and rookie Jordon Dizon to stay in the middle. Lenon would've remained the starter until Dizon was comfortable with the complicated defense. Dizon might've been ready in two weeks or two months but, with Spikes on the roster, it wouldn't have been a big issue.

Now that Spikes isn't around, the Lions will likely be forced to move either Lenon or Dizon to the strong side. The Lions don't want to move Lenon until Dizon is ready for the middle and they don't want to move Dizon because it'll take away from his preparation of eventually taking over in the middle.

Rod's pissed :-b
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:30 am

RWLongy4 wrote:
Marinelli angry Lions lost out on Spikes
by Tom Kowalski | Opinion
Monday August 11, 2008, 3:56 PM

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli has been in a foul mood for the last two days because the Lions failed to land free agent linebacker Takeo Spikes, who signed with the San Francisco 49ers.

The Lions, who also failed to sign free agent Jonathan Vilma -- a high priority target -- are a bit handcuffed because of the salary cap. The 49ers originally offered Spikes $1.5 million and might have increased that offer. The Lions only have between $3 million to $4 million under the cap and need to save most of that money for signings during the season in case of injury.

Signing Spikes would've solidified Detroit's linebacking corps. Spikes would've started at strong side linebacker and allowed Paris Lenon and rookie Jordon Dizon to stay in the middle. Lenon would've remained the starter until Dizon was comfortable with the complicated defense. Dizon might've been ready in two weeks or two months but, with Spikes on the roster, it wouldn't have been a big issue.

Now that Spikes isn't around, the Lions will likely be forced to move either Lenon or Dizon to the strong side. The Lions don't want to move Lenon until Dizon is ready for the middle and they don't want to move Dizon because it'll take away from his preparation of eventually taking over in the middle.

Rod's pissed :-b

I don't know that he is pissed as much as he is scared. He knows he is one 10 loss season from being unemployed and the FO now seems unwilling to help him out. Spikes would have been a very valueable piece to a very shakey D. He could have held his own while helping other players in learning what it takes to be a play-maker in the NFL. But the Lions would rather save money for injuries. ???? How bout just not being cheap and signing injury replacements to one year deals? That way you go over the cap for this year only. This could be a Millen maneuver to set up his next scapegoat.
DoorMatt definetly wins the Survivor-Allen Park edition.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:46 am

moochman wrote:
I don't know that he is pissed as much as he is scared. He knows he is one 10 loss season from being unemployed and the FO now seems unwilling to help him out. Spikes would have been a very valueable piece to a very shakey D. He could have held his own while helping other players in learning what it takes to be a play-maker in the NFL. But the Lions would rather save money for injuries. ???? How bout just not being cheap and signing injury replacements to one year deals? That way you go over the cap for this year only. This could be a Millen maneuver to set up his next scapegoat.
DoorMatt definetly wins the Survivor-Allen Park edition.

i wonder if Millen would get rid of Rod after another 10 loss season (which i think is pretty much a slam dunk). we all know Millen isnt going anywhere, so why not just let Rod ride it out another year. i dont even care anymore if he knows what he's doing (or his brainless assistents for that matter)...i just want us to pick an identity and stick with it and draft accordingly for 5 years instead of hey we're a West Coat team now, so lets cut all our smash mouth players...oops, our new coach is Air Martz, so we need those players...oops, now were a (trying to be) smash mouth team again (which is funny :-b )...seriously, it seems like all the good franchises have an identity and stick with it, so every year you just plug in a few free agents and draft picks and keep on being sucessful...i guess the Lions just dont get it
[/rant]
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:28 am

it seems like all the good franchises have an identity and stick with it, so every year you just plug in a few free agents and draft picks and keep on being sucessful...i guess the Lions just dont get it

Truer words were never spoken. The Lions change something every season or two becuase they lack conviction. So here comes NimRod talking a consistant game, but not being consistant in his own beliefs. He had to take on an OC who was a total opposite to satisfy WCF becuase he had no real credentials. Now he shows no ability to evaluate talent so he falls back on old staff members in his son and son's father-in-law and as many ex-Buc players as he can get. So if you think about it, what NimRod is trying to do is build a D with a lot of older players....just like the last winning team we ever had. And the only young exciting players we have are two WRs that NimRod would have never drafted and the so-so Sims. Recipe for disaster, and when that happens in Lionland change is next.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Detroit Lions