Strategy: Can't make the draft, list drafting - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Strategy: Can't make the draft, list drafting

Moderator: Football Moderators

Strategy: Can't make the draft, list drafting

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:59 pm

I'm having problems this year.

#1 - I can't make my main league draft this year because I will be out of state at the time.
#2 - I will likely be on an airplane for the majority of the draft and can't text/call/select my picks.

Therefore, I will need a list that one of my leaguemates will draft from.

How do I setup an intelligent list? There are a few problems I see that I can't get a handle on. I can make rankings by position and I can make my overall rankings that combines the positions, but I can't make a list draft "smart".

For instance, a list can't tell a guy to wait a few rounds to draft a QB if 11 out of 12 owners have already taken their QBs by the 4th round. And a list can't tell a guy to grab WRs early if 8 were selected in round 2. A list can't tell the guy to draft a backup RB before a TE because all the people picking behind me alraedy have one. Most importantly for me, a list can't predict what other owners will be doing in the next 2-3 rounds and adjust the draft. I think that is what seperate experienced drafters from novices, the ability to predict the draft and adjust on the fly to get the best values.

How would you go about making your list "smart". Is there a way to beat the system?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Strategy: Can't make the draft, list drafting

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:07 pm

we seem to have 1 "list" guy in one of my leagues every year...what we usually do is 2 or 3 of us will try to determine what the "best" pick is for him is. you can try giving some instructions like you mentioned, but in the end you are pretty much end up with what they give you, which likely wont be the way you would have done it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:50 pm

The last time we did this for a guy in our league he won the league. We were nice and made realistic picks for him, and he ended up with a pretty good team. The really awful part about it is that he abandoned his team on 11/05 of that year. That day sticks out because he stopped making lineup changes after the Bye weeks, and never came back to the website. We were all really pissed that he won, too. What a joke.

I sent him his check along with a note that said you either call me, or you're out of the league. I gave him a month in the offseason, sent a couple more emails, then replaced him.

:-P :-[ :-C
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BGbootha » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:54 pm

I have never been a fan of the 'list' situation....in the past I have had a buddy that plays in a different league actually do the draft for me, that way I have a human brain behind the list.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:19 pm

I think the main problem I have with this particular league, is that it is local and not very competitive. I've won the title 2 of the past 4 years. I don't really have confidence in any of the other owners to draft intelligently for me, thus the need for a good "list strategy".
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:36 pm

Of course you can't project your thoughts perfectly. IMO organize your tiers to incorporate all positions into one giant list.

For example, lets say you have:

LT, AD, Sjax, Westbrook, Addai in RBTier1.
Barber, Lynch, Gore, Portis, Mcgahee in RBTier 2.
Johnson, Grant, MJD, Jacobs, Lewis in RBTier 3
Maroney, Turner, McFadden, Stewart in RBTier 4
Moss, TO, Wayne, Braylon, Andre in WRTier 1.
Smith, Housh, Colston, Plaxico, Holt, Ocho in WRTier 2.
Holmes, Marshall, Roy Williams, Jennings, Bowe in WRTier 3

You could tell your buddy you want them in order of: RBTier 1, RBTier 2, WRTier 1, WRTier 2, RBTier 3, WRTier 3, RBTier 4...or in other words, if one of the guys from "RBTier 1" is available, pick that guy first. If Barber or TO are available, they would pick Barber because you say RBTier 2 is above WRTier 1. Or if Brandon Marshall and Michael Turner are available, they would pick Marshall because you say WRTier 3 is above RBTier 4.

This system isn't perfect but I think it could work for you. Of course they would be whatever your tiers, like putting Moss alone in WRTier 1 and having TO + the resti n WRTier 2. It's confusing but if you want to outline the individual players as much as possible, I think that would work.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:54 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:Of course you can't project your thoughts perfectly. IMO organize your tiers to incorporate all positions into one giant list.

For example, lets say you have:

LT, AD, Sjax, Westbrook, Addai in RBTier1.
Barber, Lynch, Gore, Portis, Mcgahee in RBTier 2.
Johnson, Grant, MJD, Jacobs, Lewis in RBTier 3
Maroney, Turner, McFadden, Stewart in RBTier 4
Moss, TO, Wayne, Braylon, Andre in WRTier 1.
Smith, Housh, Colston, Plaxico, Holt, Ocho in WRTier 2.
Holmes, Marshall, Roy Williams, Jennings, Bowe in WRTier 3

You could tell your buddy you want them in order of: RBTier 1, RBTier 2, WRTier 1, WRTier 2, RBTier 3, WRTier 3, RBTier 4...or in other words, if one of the guys from "RBTier 1" is available, pick that guy first. If Barber or TO are available, they would pick Barber because you say RBTier 2 is above WRTier 1. Or if Brandon Marshall and Michael Turner are available, they would pick Marshall because you say WRTier 3 is above RBTier 4.

This system isn't perfect but I think it could work for you. Of course they would be whatever your tiers, like putting Moss alone in WRTier 1 and having TO + the resti n WRTier 2. It's confusing but if you want to outline the individual players as much as possible, I think that would work.

Too complicated.

We have a guy who submits a list almost every year in our league. He ends up doing pretty well somehow anyway.

Put yourself on the other end of it, where you are the guy who is doing the absentee owner a favor. Make life simple for that guy, don't give him some complex, tiered, "read my mind" set of instructions with a ton of IF/THEN statements on them.

Just give him a simple list with a few preferences, and trust him.

Or cancel your other plans and show up at the draft.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:01 pm

Haha I was trying to make something good for Kensat since he was worried his sub would make bad picks for him :-b

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:19 pm

I would just give some basic instructions - fill these starting postions first, don't draft a TE until at least round x, and when to draft kickers/defenses. Aside from that, leave it up to him to basically just pick the best available on your list.

Last year, we actually had a long-standing owner fail to submit a list (he's a putz, but a good player aside from that) - we all agreed to just find a magazine that had the most lengthy overall rankings and take the best player available from the list (with a priority on filling starting positions first).

What happened? Of course the mag at WRs ranked stupidly high - guy ended up with something like TO, Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, and one of the Cardinals - can't remember exactly, but it was laughable. Anyway, despite having serious problems at QB and RB, he came within a couple points of making the Championship game. None of us were helpful to him in doing a bunch of trades either, figuring he deserved what he was dealt.

So even though you won't get the team you would have drafted, just taking best player available has a good chance of working out in your favor. Trust them, and don't miss the draft next year! :-b
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bungle613 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:20 pm

knapplc wrote:The last time we did this for a guy in our league he won the league. We were nice and made realistic picks for him, and he ended up with a pretty good team. The really awful part about it is that he abandoned his team on 11/05 of that year. That day sticks out because he stopped making lineup changes after the Bye weeks, and never came back to the website. We were all really pissed that he won, too. What a joke.

I sent him his check along with a note that said you either call me, or you're out of the league. I gave him a month in the offseason, sent a couple more emails, then replaced him.

:-P :-[ :-C

Man, do I hate that. Crushes me for awhile about FF and how it really is just random crap. Then I find myself back here every year.

Did he cash the check???
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk