Strategy: Can't make the draft, list drafting - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Strategy: Can't make the draft, list drafting

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Strategy: Can't make the draft, list drafting

Postby dishnivels » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:20 am

I'm a sick puppy, and actually enjoy list drafting. I join at least one Autopick Draft league every year (only to watch most of the other managers flake out by week 10, true; but it gives me a chance at the championship every time!). You can really work it in FBasketball, with cat-stacked H2H teams.

Auto picks are a little different from list drafting, but here are some things I consider every year.

Big help #1: find out what your draft position is, if at all possible. This will give you a very good idea of not only what players should be available when your turn comes around, but allow you to make an educated guess as to what positional needs you'll have - certainly for the first 4 or 5 rounds, when it makes the biggest difference. Big help #2, what players list will everyone be using? Cafe? Toolbox? ESPN? Antsports? Yahoo!? It'll tell you a bit about ADP's for your league.

Pre-rank by position according to your scoring system and your own sense of the coming year. Some years, (in a 10 team league) you can pre-rank 30 RB's, followed by 40 WR's, followed by 10 TE's, followed by 20 QB's, followed by 20 DST's, followed by 10 PK's. Then make a list of "sleepers" guys like Hardy, Sweed, Kevin Smith, DeSean Foster: you know, round 14 flyers. You should also make a list of likely handcuffs, with instructions that say, if I get LT, gimme Sproles and/or Hester.

Then present the 8 lists with instructions to draft RB1-RB2-WR1-WR2-TE1-QB1-RB3-WR3-QB2-WR4-DST1-"Handcuff"-"Sleeper"-DST2-PK-(TE2).
(There's also the "reverse draft" strategy, which I've seen used quite well. It's basically the above order, in reverse. You can modify it, too, to RB1-QB1-TE1-DST1-PK1 etc, where the goal is to get THE stud in as many categories as possible, without sacrificing quality at the top. These work best in years where Gates, Chicago and Vinateri are "certain" to dominate...)

The basic list strategy works better in years that don't have Brady and RMoss along with a steep dropoff in the RB position. It also means you won't be shooting for players like Gates, Brady or Patrick Willis (unless you reverse draft). You can't avoid the risk of bye-week nightmares, and you may very well end up with mediocrity. But, you get to obsess over the league and your draft for days ahead of time, you can still field a competitive team in a long-standing league, and you won't miss out on a year's worth of smack!

Enjoy the league! (Winning it is just gravy.)
dishnivels
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Guru13 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:45 am

dishnivels wrote:I'm a sick puppy, and actually enjoy list drafting. I join at least one Autopick Draft league every year (only to watch most of the other managers flake out by week 10, true; but it gives me a chance at the championship every time!). You can really work it in FBasketball, with cat-stacked H2H teams.

Auto picks are a little different from list drafting, but here are some things I consider every year.

Big help #1: find out what your draft position is, if at all possible. This will give you a very good idea of not only what players should be available when your turn comes around, but allow you to make an educated guess as to what positional needs you'll have - certainly for the first 4 or 5 rounds, when it makes the biggest difference. Big help #2, what players list will everyone be using? Cafe? Toolbox? ESPN? Antsports? Yahoo!? It'll tell you a bit about ADP's for your league.

Pre-rank by position according to your scoring system and your own sense of the coming year. Some years, (in a 10 team league) you can pre-rank 30 RB's, followed by 40 WR's, followed by 10 TE's, followed by 20 QB's, followed by 20 DST's, followed by 10 PK's. Then make a list of "sleepers" guys like Hardy, Sweed, Kevin Smith, DeSean Foster: you know, round 14 flyers. You should also make a list of likely handcuffs, with instructions that say, if I get LT, gimme Sproles and/or Hester.

Then present the 8 lists with instructions to draft RB1-RB2-WR1-WR2-TE1-QB1-RB3-WR3-QB2-WR4-DST1-"Handcuff"-"Sleeper"-DST2-PK-(TE2).
(There's also the "reverse draft" strategy, which I've seen used quite well. It's basically the above order, in reverse. You can modify it, too, to RB1-QB1-TE1-DST1-PK1 etc, where the goal is to get THE stud in as many categories as possible, without sacrificing quality at the top. These work best in years where Gates, Chicago and Vinateri are "certain" to dominate...)

The basic list strategy works better in years that don't have Brady and RMoss along with a steep dropoff in the RB position. It also means you won't be shooting for players like Gates, Brady or Patrick Willis (unless you reverse draft). You can't avoid the risk of bye-week nightmares, and you may very well end up with mediocrity. But, you get to obsess over the league and your draft for days ahead of time, you can still field a competitive team in a long-standing league, and you won't miss out on a year's worth of smack!

nice first post. ;-D

edit: aahhh, I see you come from the basketball side.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:12 pm

dishnivels wrote:I'm a sick puppy, and actually enjoy list drafting. I join at least one Autopick Draft league every year (only to watch most of the other managers flake out by week 10, true; but it gives me a chance at the championship every time!). You can really work it in FBasketball, with cat-stacked H2H teams.

#1 - Draft position is determined day of the draft.
#2 - The draft is in person and therefore there is no set list of players to pick from.
#3 - As this is a semi-competitive league ADP is all across the board every year, virtually unpredictable.
#4 - I think the idea of trying to draft the #1 Def and #1 kicker is ridiculous and a huge waste of draft pick value.

The reason I don't want to let one of my league owners just draft for me without a loose set of instructions, is they might end up picking Tony Romo AND Drew Brees in back to back rounds. Or they might start the draft with 5 straight RBs while everyone else is grabbing up all the WRs and QBs.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk