Dustin Keller

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dustin Keller

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:48 pm

Rookie tight end Dustin Keller wows the competition at N.Y. Jets camp
Thursday, July 31, 2008
BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- It's one thing for a rookie to get praise from his general manager and coaches. After all, they played a part in drafting him, and his success, or lack thereof, is a reflection on them.

But it's quite another to get the stamp of approval from a three-time Pro Bowler who plays the same position and is competing with the rookie for playing time.

Veteran tight end Bubba Franks, who has made a career of working the middle of the field and catching touchdowns from Brett Favre in Green Bay, gushed yesterday about the potential of rookie tight end Dustin Keller, saying he has a chance to be special.

Keller, the 30th overall pick, made the play of the day in practice yesterday at the Jets' training complex, pulling in a 30-yard pass down the left sideline from quarterback Kellen Clemens, despite being interfered with by safety Cameron Worrell. It was the type of play the Jets hope to see often this season.

"The kid is showing some sparks," said Franks, a ninth-year pro who has 256 career receptions for 2,300 yards and 32 touchdowns. "It's pretty impressive to see him out there running his routes. He's fast. It's going to be very interesting to see him play during the season.

"He brings a lot (to the table). I enjoy watching him. I remember when I was that age coming out here. You're trying to prove a point. I think he's starting to get it a little bit. He's improving every day. He already has the signs of being a great player."

con't...

rest of article: http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf ... xml&coll=1
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dustin Keller

Postby gtabaplayr » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm

There are a number of TEs who have his type of ability, the question is blocking. If he can't block, he's just a glorified WR/H-Back. He's only 6-2 as well, so he is certainly under-sized for a TE. I don't expect a large fantasy impact this season.
gtabaplayr
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby footballsimp » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:42 am

But being at the TE position he can create som nice mismatches. I dont have him in my top 12 YET but I am keeping my eye on him and this news may get him a little higher
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby killiansjmd » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:36 am

gtabaplayr wrote:There are a number of TEs who have his type of ability, the question is blocking. If he can't block, he's just a glorified WR/H-Back. He's only 6-2 as well, so he is certainly under-sized for a TE. I don't expect a large fantasy impact this season.

blocking is not his major strength, getting down the field and catching the ball is. They already have Chris Baker and Bubba Franks to do the blocking. He's going to be lined up to create mismatches all over the field.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:38 am

killiansjmd wrote:
gtabaplayr wrote:There are a number of TEs who have his type of ability, the question is blocking. If he can't block, he's just a glorified WR/H-Back. He's only 6-2 as well, so he is certainly under-sized for a TE. I don't expect a large fantasy impact this season.

blocking is not his major strength, getting down the field and catching the ball is. They already have Chris Baker and Bubba Franks to do the blocking. He's going to be lined up to create mismatches all over the field.

I agree. I love Keller, especially as a fantasy player, which is what I assume we are talking about here. Last time I checked most leagues do not gives points for pancake blocks.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dawinner127 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:15 pm

I really think Keller is going to be a great sleeper pick to throw in at your TE spot this year. He is going to create mismatches all over the place. All the Jets have to do is get him the ball.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Patchell » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:08 am

rotoworld wrote:Jets rookie TE Dustin Keller stole the show in Saturday's Green/White scrimmage.
Keller totaled 79 yards and a touchdown on four catches, and more importantly, created quite a buzz. One writer referred to the tight end's "general unstoppable-ness." Expectations should be tempered for rookie tight ends, but Dynasty leaguers need to make it a point to target Keller.
Patchell
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:13 am

Looks like they took one of Greg Olsen's news clippings from last year and replaced his name with Keller's.

I might draft the guy as a bye week filler but I definatly wouldn't rely on him as my #1.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Return to Football Talk