Bad draft, but good team??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bad draft, but good team???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bad draft, but good team???

Postby LeBron James » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:27 pm

I remember 2 years ago I actually took Mike Bell in the 2nd round!! That was the year he was going off in pre-season for the Broncos, and we all know how that turned out. Well amazingly I still finished 3rd in my league. I guess I lucked out with Drew Brees in the 4th round and Marion Barber in the 7th I think.

So what about you guys, did you waste a high pick on someone but still finished strong or even win your league through trades or waiver wire pick-ups or just luck???
Last edited by LeBron James on Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bad draft, but good team???

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:31 pm

In one of my leagues last year I had Larry Johnson (1st round), Carson Palmer (3rd round, he was strong in the beginning but later on was not :-t), and Javon Walker (4th), and I ended up getting 2nd place because I played the WR and RB carousel very well and a whole lot of luck.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:42 pm

I drafted SJax number 2 overall here at the Cafe last year and won the league ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

Postby treat24 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:09 pm

I've had some bad drafts that panned out... gates rookie year getting him at the end of the draft comes to mind...

I think the real question is how Lebron James drafted Mike Bell in the 2nd round! Must have been your first year playing fantasy football. His ADP has never been above the 6th or 7th round, if even that high. Brees and the 2 Barbers saved you man, congrats! ;-D

a few years back i dropped sjax in a keeper in lieu of DD... dominick davis... now dominick williams. yeah... I didn't win that year, but I was the best team in the league and lost in the playoffs. Manning/LT/LJ/Gates/Ravens D etc...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby LeBron James » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:26 pm

treat24 wrote:I've had some bad drafts that panned out... gates rookie year getting him at the end of the draft comes to mind...

I think the real question is how Lebron James drafted Mike Bell in the 2nd round! Must have been your first year playing fantasy football. His ADP has never been above the 6th or 7th round, if even that high. Brees and the 2 Barbers saved you man, congrats! ;-D

a few years back i dropped sjax in a keeper in lieu of DD... dominick davis... now dominick williams. yeah... I didn't win that year, but I was the best team in the league and lost in the playoffs. Manning/LT/LJ/Gates/Ravens D etc...

Lol, I don't know, I must have been smoking something good! I tend to reach for some players too high I guess. No, this is actually my 6th or 7th year in FF. I know I'll do better this year since I discovered this forum, lots of great info and tips in here!
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby biju » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:30 pm

I had the 11th pick of a 14 team PPR draft in 2002 and figured for sure that David Boston was a lock at that spot.

I ended up winning the league with some great trades before the season started that landed me both Ricky Williams and Peyton Manning though.

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby footballsimp » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:46 am

3 years ago I took Duece Mcallister and Daunte Culpepper for my 1st and 2nd pick. they both tore ACL's halfway through the season.

I won the league. I drafted a dude named Larry Johnson in the 14th. He did ok.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Motown Blues » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:31 am

Last year I drafted Frank Gore at #1 and won the league. Of course, i traded Gore and Marvin Harrison for LT after week 1. :-D
Motown Blues
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby B-eAsy510 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:29 am

Last year I drafted Travis Henry in the 1st and M.Harrison in the 2nd. But... drafted romo in 5th, welker in 11th and Marshall in 12th. Its a keeper league so I had Barber, JAcobs and Maroney already. I traded Harrison a week before he went down for Santonio Holmes and Big Ben. The funny thing is that I played the same guy for the championship and sat Romo for Ben and sat Brandon Marshall for Holmes just because lady karma told me too and I beat his Brady and ADP. I can't wait until I see this dude at the draft this year.
B-eAsy510
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:18 am

Last year, my first 2 picks were Maroney, Steve Smith. And I won my league. I had McGahee as a keeper (it is a unique one player keeper league). I followed up those picks that turned out lousy with Gates, Brandon Jacobs, Tony Romo, Philip Rivers and I got Wes Welker off the waiver wire early. I also had the Pats D and the two of the top 5 kickers. I was soft at RB all year, but I was among the best in our league at every other position - and I got lucky of course - a lot of my matchup moves seemed to work out.

Our league is a little different (20 rounds with a 1 player keeper), but it is still proof you can overcome bad early picks and injuries.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk