Fat Mike - On the Road again... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Fat Mike - On the Road again...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fat Mike - On the Road again...

Postby Santacruzer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:48 pm

Titans have released Mike Williams. Out of work again. There was a line in an article earlier this year where it quotes Jeff Fisher as saying "that despite losing the 30lbs, he's so out of shape that he wouldn't even be able to play 3 consecutive series in preseason play." Very sad. So much promise, yet it only involves getting off the couch.

Despite dropping weight in offseason, WR Williams cut by Titans
Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans released wide receiver Mike Williams before Thursday afternoon's practice.

The Titans signed Williams, the 10th overall pick in the 2005 draft by the Detroit Lions, last Thanksgiving and told him after the season to get his weight and conditioning under control.

Williams weighed around 270 pounds when he signed with Tennessee and lost more than 30 pounds this offseason in an effort to salvage his career.

But conditioning, weight and endurance remained issues for the former University of Southern California star, who had unsuccessfully petitioned the NFL for early entrance into the 2004 draft.

"I just wasn't seeing the production, and when you get in a situation where you don't see the production, and you've got a young group of receivers that are emerging, I just felt like it was in our best interests to let him go at this point," coach Jeff Fisher said. "Maybe Mike can hook on some place else."

Williams spent two seasons with the Lions, catching 29 passes for 350 yards and a touchdown in his rookie year. He was traded to Oakland during the 2007 draft, but the Raiders released him in October after he dropped a key fourth-down pass against the Titans in a 13-9 loss.

LenDale White, a Titans running back and Williams' former teammate at Southern Cal, said: "You've got to do what's right for the team. I guess it's the right move for the team. Hopefully, it is."

Meanwhile, the Titans signed former Wake Forest and New York Jets receiver Chris Davis.

Tennessee also signed kicker Jon Vaughn, who was in camp with the club last year, to fill in for Rob Bironas after he strained his groin Monday. Guard Eric Scott was waived to make room.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fat Mike - On the Road again...

Postby dream_017 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:19 am

4 1st round WRs(not to mention top 10) and 2 made no impact whatsoever in the NFL, they barely even played :-t Mostly it has to do with them being out of football for a year or more and then trying to come back.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Re: Fat Mike - On the Road again...

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:29 am

What an absolute joke. I want to say a tragedy, but the fat man got paid and it's not like his life is ruined. He just ate himself out of any chance to live the dream.

Really shows the poor judgement of DoorMatt Millen. Being unable to come to his own decisions, he opts to ignore scouts advise on BMW's lack of speed and poor to non-existant workouts to follow the advice of style no substance Mel Kiper.

There is no truth to the rumor that Williams is now persuing a career in blues under the name of Jelly Rolls Williams.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Detroit Lions