Steve Smith knock-out in camp - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steve Smith knock-out in camp

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Steve Smith knock-out in camp

Postby Rodge » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:30 pm

SLAMLLC wrote:The article I read stated that it wasn't a fight. It was a extreemeely cowardly move by Smith. From the article and I can post if I find it again, Smith took the shot when his teammate was on the sideline helmet off on one knee! Thats a coward move if I ever heard of one. He deserves what he gets. For you guys saying its part of the game... I bet you don't have any kids playing high school sports. If another kid did that to your kid while he was on one knee on the sideline and broke his nose would you be saying "Its just part of the game" I doubt it. It was a simple coward thug move. Outside of what is acceptable.

I admit I did not read that article and I really don't know what happened, but I still do not like the idea of taking away from the team's chances of victory.
"I won't get you sixty, but I'll get you ten sixes."
~Brian Piccolo
Rodge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Rodge » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:36 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
Azrael wrote:I'm still drafting him late 3rd.

Same here ;-D I want this guy for the fantasy playoffs more then anything.

Getting back to fantasy implications, I don't think this diminishes his value too much. He hopefully will play in 13 other meaningful fantasy games. He will still be the teams go-to, number 1 WR. I am hoping that other people drop him significantly in their ratings and he will fall in the draft.
~Brian Piccolo
Rodge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:43 pm

Rodge wrote: I am not sticking up for Steve Smith; what I am concerned about is how the Panthers handled the situation. Let the players work it out. By suspending Steve Smith, the Panthers are only hurting themselves and taking away from their chances of victory in the first two games of the season. I think that there was a better way of dealing with this than taking away from the potential success of the team.

so what do you do for a living? do you think if one of your co-workers assaulted you that you should be responsible for working it out yourselves without him getting any consequences, even if your bosses saw what happened? what if it was a person who was vital to your jobs success that hit you...does that change your answer?

if things worked the way you talk about it would be complete chaos. there needs to be consequences and reprocussions for those of us that cant abide by rules.
Last edited by deluxe_247 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SLAMLLC » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:43 pm

Well that is what is wrong today. If the Panthers lose their first two games people will blame the management for doing what is right and they will not blame Smith for doing what is wrong. Put the blame where it belongs. If they lose the two games its Smith's fault not the teams for suspending him.
SLAMLLC Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Amazinz » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:47 pm

Rodge wrote:...I still do not like the idea of taking away from the team's chances of victory.

Accountability. I think you're putting the onus on the wrong party. Steve Smith should have worried about the Panther's chances of victory prior to acting the way he did.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:57 pm

Nevermind that this is the SECOND time that Smith has been suspended for attacking a teammate.

The Panthers had no choice. You think they wanted to suspend their star receiver? He left them no alternative. He's apt to get a trip to New York too.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Rodge » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:00 pm

SLAMLLC wrote:Well that is what is wrong today. If the Panthers lose their first two games people will blame the management for doing what is right and they will not blame Smith for doing what is wrong. Put the blame where it belongs. If they lose the two games its Smith's fault not the teams for suspending him.

I am just going to have to disagree with everyone here. I think the Panthers made a mistake and may pay dearly for it. I really don't think that they would have beaten the Chargers anyways, but who knows. If they somehow lose to the Bears in week 2 because they couldn't get the ball downfield and then miss the playoffs by 1 game I bet they will regret their decision also. I just don't believe that Steve Smith is an absolute monster. I bet Ken Lucas is not completely innocent. Maybe Steve Smith did go over the top a little, but people are making him out to be something like a serial murderer.
~Brian Piccolo
Rodge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kilroy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:08 pm

Rodge wrote:
SLAMLLC wrote:Well that is what is wrong today. If the Panthers lose their first two games people will blame the management for doing what is right and they will not blame Smith for doing what is wrong. Put the blame where it belongs. If they lose the two games its Smith's fault not the teams for suspending him.

I am just going to have to disagree with everyone here. I think the Panthers made a mistake and may pay dearly for it. I really don't think that they would have beaten the Chargers anyways, but who knows. If they somehow lose to the Bears in week 2 because they couldn't get the ball downfield and then miss the playoffs by 1 game I bet they will regret their decision also. I just don't believe that Steve Smith is an absolute monster. I bet Ken Lucas is not completely innocent. Maybe Steve Smith did go over the top a little, but people are making him out to be something like a serial murderer.

If an unprovoked attack that left a teammate with a broken nose is "a little over the top", then what's a lot? If he went Last Boy Scout and shot him dead? The Panthers aren't who screwed up here. Steve Smith was when he couldn't control his temper like a grown-up. What about that is so hard to understand?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:08 pm

Rodge wrote:

so if an assult should not be suspendable where do you draw the line? when someone takes a baseball bat to someones knee? at that point you jump in and say..."hey guys...you can punch each other and fight, but only to a certain degree". give me a break.

it almost sounds like your only argument is that it was steve smith and how it will hurt the team. would you make these statements about the suspension if it was a backup kicker?

he knew what he was doing when he assaulted a member of his team...again....and should be punsihed for it.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:21 pm

Rae Carruth was a pretty talented player as well - I'm sure they lost some games by not having him on the team. Just because someone is talented doesn't mean they are above the law or the rules - it is that attitude that got us into this mess with pro athletes over the last couple decades.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk