Steve Smith knock-out in camp - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steve Smith knock-out in camp

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Steve Smith knock-out in camp

Postby BigBadBrawler » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:08 pm

A 2 game suspension might not be the only outcome of this fight:

Per Rotoworld:

There are reportedly "rumblings out of Panthers camp" that the team is fed up with Steve Smith and is considering trading him.

There is reportedly feeling that Smith has become "divisive," and some team players vowed to discipline him themselves if the coaching staff didn't. ESPN's Matt Mosley suggests that Dallas would be interested. We'd guess that many others would too. Smith doesn't have an unmanageable contract and is a top-ten receiver. If dealt, his suspension wouldn't carry over because it was set forth by the Panthers, not the NFL. Still, the odds are heavily against a trade.
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:11 pm

Send him to the Patriots. We took care of Dillon and so far Moss is happy, we can handle Smith. :-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:12 pm

I just read that report also, I think its funny how every media outlet(Schefter, Mort, etc etc) links every big name player that might be traded to Dallas, does anyone else know this? Doesn't matter if there is any truth to it, or if anyone has spoken with a Dallas rep, but it always makes for a good story, and everyone always assumes Dallas will be a big player(Jason Taylor, Deangelo Hall, Boldin, Fitz, CJ, McFadden, etc etc).

I'm pretty sure Dallas is fine going into this year with Sam Hurd picking up the slack on the outside to push Crayton back to the slot, and giving Miles Austin extra reps, not only that, salary cap ramifications, after Dallas has re-signed all these players, I really don't think there is any room.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby dgan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:17 pm

BigBadBrawler wrote:A 2 game suspension might not be the only outcome of this fight:

Per Rotoworld:

There are reportedly "rumblings out of Panthers camp" that the team is fed up with Steve Smith and is considering trading him.

There is reportedly feeling that Smith has become "divisive," and some team players vowed to discipline him themselves if the coaching staff didn't. ESPN's Matt Mosley suggests that Dallas would be interested. We'd guess that many others would too. Smith doesn't have an unmanageable contract and is a top-ten receiver. If dealt, his suspension wouldn't carry over because it was set forth by the Panthers, not the NFL. Still, the odds are heavily against a trade.

What player in trouble is Dallas NOT interested in? :-b

I can't see this happening for the reasons mentioned. He doesn't have a big contract and he is a top-ten receiver. There is no way you can get equal value for trading that - it is the ideal scenario that you hope all your players become. On an underachieving team with locker room issues, generally the coach will get the axe before they start shipping out their best players.

This sounds like a nobody ESPN reporter blowing a bunch of hot air to try to be the next John Clayton. eeew. :-o
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:53 pm

Two things. Matt Moseley is a former Dallas Star writer I believe. He has an affinity for Dallas. It was also written in his NFC East Blog. It was obviously written in a purely speculative context and shouldn't carry any more weight than if I were to make a post here that I thought they should try and trade Steve Smith. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing TO and Steve Smith across from each other, but it just flat out isn't going to happen I don't think. Not going to say for sure because there always is Jerry Jones, but I would be very surprised.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:57 am

BigBadBrawler wrote:A 2 game suspension might not be the only outcome of this fight:

Per Rotoworld:

maybe they can swap him for Chad Johnson?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk