Ahman Green and Houston running game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ahman Green and Houston running game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ahman Green and Houston running game

Postby spark0901 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:31 pm

So Ahman Green is old and will probably get injured given that I had to pick him in the first round of my dynasty draft. So who is next in line in Houston? Is it Chris Brown, or Steve Slaton? How high is Slaton's ceiling?
spark0901
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ahman Green and Houston running game

Postby logan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:44 pm

well chris brown is already in some hot water from being injured already and they just signed mike bell which could spell the end of brown in houston.i would think if brown gets cut then it would be bell getting the start and slaton being in the spell maybe third down role. bell is familiar with the system and had had success in the past.

at this point it's kinda to early to tell since alot of these scenarios hinge on what happens to brown and green though even if brown stays in houston the guy can't get out of bed without tweaking something so bell could make a nice steal late in a draft no matter what.

this is another running game where it could be a different guy every couple weeks depending on what happens and i wouldn't really be thrilled with owning any of them with the expectations of having an every week player.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:53 pm

I wouldn't plan on relying on Chris Brown, but he's in a position to succeed if he could just get healthy. But the word out of Houston is that Steve Slaton is impressing people. I have to think that he's an interesting option for this year and possibly going forward too.

While Mike Bell was just signed, I have a tough time thinking he'll be used in anything other than a short yardage role. Green, Brown, and Staton all are either injury prone or possibly too small to do that effectively. I think Bell is to be used to push Darius Walker's job.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby logan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:14 am

biju wrote:I wouldn't plan on relying on Chris Brown, but he's in a position to succeed if he could just get healthy. But the word out of Houston is that Steve Slaton is impressing people. I have to think that he's an interesting option for this year and possibly going forward too.

While Mike Bell was just signed, I have a tough time thinking he'll be used in anything other than a short yardage role. Green, Brown, and Staton all are either injury prone or possibly too small to do that effectively. I think Bell is to be used to push Darius Walker's job.

you could be right about bell but he wasn't all that happy with doing the FB/short yardage role last year in denver so if he signed with houston it may be because he was assured that that would not be his role in the offense. still it remains to be seen.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:19 am

Dynasty-wise I like what Darius Walker has to offer.

Re-draft, I'll take a flyer on Green but nothing further, relying on multiple injuries to get a player who may not even be worth while of a starting spot.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby hobo » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:57 am

I too like Darius Walker.. Not sure why he is not getting more love in Houston. This guy has performed and performed well EVERYWHERE he has ever played ball.. I just don't get it...
hobo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 38)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:16 am

I don't think at this point any of the Houston RB's are sure starters. Hopefully one comes out of the pack and gets the majority of the load.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby SirPimpin08 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:57 pm

I liek the way NO ONE mentioned Chris Taylor lol....

Darius Walker will get cut, Slayton is a 3rd down back PERIOD, Bell is a HUGE questio mark but I don ot see him doing anything other than being a training camp body

that leaves the CLEAR starter and backup Ahman and Brown.... after they die of ACL tears or whatever.... that leaves Chris Taylor by default.........
SirPimpin08
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:50 pm

Isn't Chris Taylor supposed to do some work at FB?

Regardless you can't count on ACL tears...
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby SirPimpin08 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:11 pm

aaawall91 wrote:Isn't Chris Taylor supposed to do some work at FB?

Regardless you can't count on ACL tears...

I was kidding, .But yes hes doing SOME fullback work, but IF injuries happen I see him in that Rueben Droughns role Denver had in like 2005....

I do not see Walker or Slayton as feature backs
SirPimpin08
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk