Ahman Green and Houston running game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ahman Green and Houston running game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ahman Green and Houston running game

Postby TommyZND » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:36 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:
TommyZND wrote:Houston we have a problem: my opinion on the situation
-I'd look for Steve Slaton to get more time then Darius Walker. They have a similar style, but slaton is better at it.

I'm pretty sure Walker is the FB. Plus you forgot Taylor

At 5"11 and 205 lb's I'm sorry to say Darius Walker is not the FB. He's listed as RB on houston's depth chart and i dont think that is going to change. I watched him his whole career at Notre Dame and blocking is not his forte. I'm not going to comment on Taylor because blind people dont talk about rainbows, i dont know anything about him thats what i put it was my opinion on the situation.
MY TEAMS:
NCAA- Fighting Irish
NFL- Steelers
MLB- Pirates
NBA- Knicks
TommyZND
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:26 pm

dmacblue wrote:Green restructures deal to stay. looks like he's not geting cut

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLi ... &hl=121047

Obviously the Texans don't have a whole lotta faith him if they want his salary to be structered on a per game basis.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby WeekSixteen » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:02 pm

I disagree. I think this contract restructuring says the Texans are commited to giving him a shot, they just don't want him to get hurt in the first game and boo whoo himself on the sidelines all season. I think for Green he can make what he would have originally if he can stay healthy for the entire season. This says to me he will be trying hard and is worth a flyer. I have him as my 3rd RB with Chris Taylor backing him up.
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby Montana » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:29 am

Chris Taylor's going to be the man........I give it 2 or 3 weeks max.
Montana
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:20 pm

COMMENTARY
Running game remains problematic for Kubiak & Co.
By RICHARD JUSTICE Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
Aug. 29, 2008, 12:08AM

Were the Texans really prepared to cut Ahman Green? We may never know the answer to that one.

To do so would have meant opening the season with Chris Taylor and Steve Slaton, neither of whom has started an NFL game.

Then again, they’re both young and healthy, and it’s impossible to know how good they are until they get a chance.

Slaton’s talent should separate him from everyone else on the depth chart at some point this season anyway. He has shown flashes of being something special, but coaches are reluctant to throw him into the mix when the Steelers start firing blitzes at Matt Schaub in the opener Sept. 7.

It might not come to that. NFL teams should always be judged more on what they do than on what they say. So while the Texans said all the right things about Green being ready for Pittsburgh, there clearly was some doubt.

We know this because general manager Rick Smith approached him two weeks ago and asked him to take a pay cut.

Smith offered a deal that would substantially reduce Green’s base pay, but give him the chance to actually make more if he stayed on the field.

That the Texans didn’t simply release him says they haven’t given up on him. One reason might be that they’ve invested so much. Another might be that they don’t have anyone else with anything close to his talent.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spo ... 72968.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby bobbing_headz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:36 pm

Walker just got released and Brown's either gonna be cut or go on IR. That leaves Green, Slaton and Taylor to battle it out.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bobbing_headz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:23 pm

Just found this:

Texans beat reporter John McClain predicts that "at some point" rookie Steve Slaton will be the team's starting tailback.
Presumably McClain is speaking of this season. McClain compares Slaton (5'10/203) to Warrick Dunn and Clinton Portis, who've excelled in line coach Alex Gibbs' zone blocking scheme before. Ahman Green will start Houston's opener if healthy, but Slaton has the most fantasy upside in the backfield.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Bmonkey » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:47 pm

do you think slaton is worth losing 2nd waiver priority to get? he was dropped a day ago
Bmonkey
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bobbing_headz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:02 pm

Bmonkey wrote:do you think slaton is worth losing 2nd waiver priority to get? he was dropped a day ago

How many teams in your league?
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Bmonkey » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:13 pm

Bmonkey
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk