Another Reason Not to Draft Javon Walker - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Another Reason Not to Draft Javon Walker

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Another Reason Not to Draft Javon Walker

Postby Rodge » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:28 pm

Javon Walker's gone for 1300/9 exactly once in six years (2004). He's not going to sniff that this year.[/quote]

I agree that Walker probably will not reach 1300/9, but I do think that he has more upside and more of a chance to reach those numbers than many of the receivers previously listed. Just as Free Bagal stated, I would put $100 on Bryant Johnson not reaching those numbers. I would not, however, feel as confident putting that $100 on Javon Walker not reaching those numbers.
"I won't get you sixty, but I'll get you ten sixes."
~Brian Piccolo
Rodge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:23 pm

The picture is a little rosier now...

Raiders' Walker turns it on at end of camp
By Jason Jones - jejones@sacbee.com
Published 12:00 am PDT Thursday, August 14, 2008
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C3

NAPA – His coach might not like it, but maybe Javon Walker just doesn't practice well.

Raiders coach Lane Kiffin tried criticizing the wide receiver through the media, calling out Walker for being overweight and for not practicing enough.

It didn't bother Walker.

"Obviously, coach Lane, he's a new coach (for me) this year, and he really doesn't know me," Walker said. "Basically, all I know is what (I've) done against him in games. … Being critical? I've been through way too much of that. I know me, and I know my body, so the only thing I could say is if (the criticism) was something (Kiffin) would really harp on, put on the (video) tapes and watch what I've done."

Kiffin, though, doesn't really care what Walker did before signing with Oakland, and it's not exactly how he wants his presumed No. 1 receiver to think.

Kiffin's message might not have inspired Walker to do more during training camp. But Walker finished camp strong.

Walker is now visibly enjoying himself – just as training camp is ending – no longer appearing to be uninspired. The Raiders broke camp Wednesday.

Walker's turnaround was first noticeable when the Raiders practiced with the 49ers in Napa on Aug. 4. And since last Friday's exhibition opener against San Francisco, Walker has continued to look better.

Not bad considering this turnaround came days after he told the team he wanted to retire after struggling at the start of camp.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/1155907.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:59 pm

Good luck with whoever drafts this guy this year, I won't be the owner to find out how it plays out ;-D
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby treat24 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:06 pm

it's getting to the point where I'm seeing him going very very very very late. In a start 2 WR league... he might be worth a WR5

We did a mock 2 days ago. He went in the 10th round as the guy's WR5 in a start 2 WR mock. That is good value IMO. Moss and S.Smith as his starters... Driver, Curtis, Walker as depth...

That's about what he is right now. Depth that might pan out...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:03 pm

Walker showed up to camp overweight and out of shape. He's been favoring the knee. He's been getting no seperation, even against the 2nd string Raider secondary. And then he contemplates retirement before Al Davis talks him back?

This guy used to be something special, but he got messed up somewhere along the way. When I watch him play, every time he takes a hit I wonder if that is gonna be the career. I'd rather draft a guy like Bernard Berrian who is also in a crappy situation, but at least he is healthy and still talented. You just don't know what you are going to get with Walker.

And if you are being an optimist about an Oakland Raider... when was the last time that actually paid off?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk