Your Thoughts on Paying Dues - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Your Thoughts on Paying Dues

Moderator: Football Moderators

Your Thoughts on Paying Dues

Postby fearthepanic » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:39 pm

So we have pretty decent league and everything - but with busy schedules and laziness, the dues and player pick up charges are often hard to get from everyone.

I was wondering if anyone has tried (or has some input on) using Paypal as a payment method. We're thinking about stating that all owners much be paid up by a certain date (or have actions frozen) - and then have their pick up costs paid by a certain date...yada yada....
- and having Paypal as an easy method of doing it.
Note - we're strung out all over the country, so people need to mail checks - and for whatever reason...everyone sucks at doing it.

Any thoughts? I need to do more research - but I think PP might be free for person to person transactions?

Anyway - just curious if peeps have tried something like that out - and what I might expect.

Are there other electronic options I haven't thought about?

Pizzout - and have a good season -
fearthepanic
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Your Thoughts on Paying Dues

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:25 am

Paypal is a good method. Secure to.

You need to do something to incent paying on time. Maybe payment determines your draft order. Run it through paypal and the first to pay gets 1st pick. 20% gets added on if not paid by draft day.

My money league of 20+ years just ended because of this. I simply told everyone that paying for 3 people every year was too expensive.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby fearthepanic » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:51 am

I hear you - we've had at least one person have a problem paying almost every year.

So do you have info on the PayPal thing? Is it as simple as having everyone sign up - and then one person acting as the treasurer and collecting? If so, that's awesome.

But are there any fees...or minimum amounts? Any other little 'catches' we should know about.

Thanks for the feedback -

out
fearthepanic
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Angry_Amish » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:00 pm

I accept PayPal, with a 2.5% extra charge to cover PayPal's 2.5% fee. I do not give out login info until the team is payed in full. Since we have to deny people a team slot due to high interest, those who want to play pay up pretty quickly... if they don't , they don't play! ;-)

Returning members get the first invitational email and after one week the new prospects get their invitation. If you wanna play, you gotta pay, just like in everything else. If you dick around then you are not that serious and I want serious managers in my league.

Have a league people want to join and they will pay. Good luck!
Angry_Amish
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Ek » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:40 am

My league isn't a money one, so we're just dealing with covering the pay league dues, and it's a smaller amount, but basically, after the draft, I lock down any teams from all functions other than posting that haven't paid until they do. If you do it right after the draft, they won't even be able to put any players into their lineup. That gets them to pay pretty quickly.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby spodog » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:46 am

Angry_Amish wrote:I accept PayPal, with a 2.5% extra charge to cover PayPal's 2.5% fee. I do not give out login info until the team is payed in full. Since we have to deny people a team slot due to high interest, those who want to play pay up pretty quickly... if they don't , they don't play! ;-)

Returning members get the first invitational email and after one week the new prospects get their invitation. If you wanna play, you gotta pay, just like in everything else. If you dick around then you are not that serious and I want serious managers in my league.

Have a league people want to join and they will pay. Good luck!

Yep. Ditto here. We use Paypal a lot, owners who send payments that way have to cover the 2.5% fee, just as above.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:47 am

We also incent prompt payment with discounts. You pay your entry fees by a certain date, it costs X-15% to get in the league. You pay by the later date (the actual due date), it costs X to get in.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:02 pm

ive only been in charge of collecting money once, and ended up eating some of it bc i couldnt get money from people that i ended up not seeing anymore in person. so what i did the next draft where everyone wanted to make it a money league was told them that i wasnt getting caught down on money anymore. either someone else collect the money and take the risk, everyone have their money to me by draft time, or its not a money league.

i know its harsh, but i wasnt about to eat the money just bc i stuck my head out there and volunteered. one league actually ended up just not being a money league bc nobody wanted to take the responsibility.

and yes paypal is really easy.
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Commissioner's Corner