Rules change in my league--Is it fair?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Rules change in my league--Is it fair??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rules change in my league--Is it fair??

Postby hammertoes » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:11 am

I joined a brand new league last year, my first fantasy league ever, which I won. Our rule that was established for keeping players was that you could keep up to 2 players that you drafted in rounds 1-5, and up to 2 players that you drafted in rounds 6-14. For every player you kept, you lost your highest draft pick. (For example, if you drafted Brady in the 10th round, you would still have to give up your 1st rnd pick to keep him, and if you also kept LT who you got in the 8th rnd, you lost your 2nd rnd pick.)

I know this system is not very common, but it was what our commissioner had decided on.

Now the commissioner of our league (my best friend) has decided to change the rule. His brother, who is also in the league, convinced him to make it where if you keep a player, you lose a pick in the round you originally drafted him in.

This system is much more common, and I really don't have a problem with it in theory. The only thing that I have a problem with is that this new keeper rule is much more advantageous for the commissioner (B. Rothlisberger - Rnd 12, J.Witten - Rnd 13) and his brother (ADP - Rnd 5).

What do you guys think? Was this a snakey move or am I makeing too much of it?
hammertoes
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rules change in my league--Is it fair??

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:18 am

hammertoes wrote:I joined a brand new league last year, my first fantasy league ever, which I won. Our rule that was established for keeping players was that you could keep up to 2 players that you drafted in rounds 1-5, and up to 2 players that you drafted in rounds 6-14. For every player you kept, you lost your highest draft pick. (For example, if you drafted Brady in the 10th round, you would still have to give up your 1st rnd pick to keep him, and if you also kept LT who you got in the 8th rnd, you lost your 2nd rnd pick.)

I know this system is not very common, but it was what our commissioner had decided on.

Now the commissioner of our league (my best friend) has decided to change the rule. His brother, who is also in the league, convinced him to make it where if you keep a player, you lose a pick in the round you originally drafted him in.

This system is much more common, and I really don't have a problem with it in theory. The only thing that I have a problem with is that this new keeper rule is much more advantageous for the commissioner (B. Rothlisberger - Rnd 12, J.Witten - Rnd 13) and his brother (ADP - Rnd 5).

What do you guys think? Was this a snakey move or am I makeing too much of it?

Unfair. My parents always told me to make the rules before you play. I think its obvious that the commish sees the value in doing this for him and his brothers team.

It is called collusion. Just tell them no thanks this year and find a more reputable league.

Oh and there is a forum called Commissioner's corner where this will get more pub.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:33 am

Definitely complain about the rule change. The only way that rule change is fair is if it goes into effect next season, not this season, and if the ENTIRE league agrees to it. In this case, neither is true. They may not be doing it solely for their gain, but it's still wrong to change the rules now.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby dgan » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:02 am

steelerfan513 wrote:Definitely complain about the rule change. The only way that rule change is fair is if it goes into effect next season, not this season, and if the ENTIRE league agrees to it. In this case, neither is true. They may not be doing it solely for their gain, but it's still wrong to change the rules now.

;-D What he said. Your argument to the Commish should be, "If I had known that would be the case, I would have drafted differently. We can put that into effect beginning next year, and that way everyone can adjust their drafting strategy accordingly this year."
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Humpback » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:03 am

Agreed- although I like these rules better than your original, it is a pretty major change, one which could easily help or hurt certain teams in the league. For one, the commissioner himself should never be able to just change a rule without a league-wide vote. I don't think it should have to be a unanimous vote necessarily, but it should be more than a simple majority as well.

If anything, you should come up with some kind of compromise, especially since it seems to favor them so much. Instead of losing the round you drafted them, have them lose their 3rd rd pick for Ben and 4th for Witten, something like that. It seems kind of arbitrary, but there's a HUGE difference between losing a 1st and 2nd vs. losing a 12th and 13th pick, and you can't just have one person make that change for everybody.
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby moochman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:21 am

Any rule change like that should only be enacted starting with this year's draft. The old rule should be in effect for this season, meaning that last year's draft picks would fall under the old rule. That is the only fair way to make a change that would clearly favor some teams over others.
Be very clear to the league that this is not acceptable and if it isn't changed-leave that league. There is point to playing in a league with a commish who will change the rules to favor he and his bro.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby fantasyfirefighter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:12 pm

I agree with all the posters above. Rule changes should not be made after the fact because teams plan according to the rules they believe will be in effect. I would try and have the commish start the rules next season so everyone has a chance to plan their draft accordingly. If he insists on keeping the new rules without having asked for any team input or a vote then I don't think thats a league you want to belong to anyway.
fantasyfirefighter
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner