Preseason Week 1 Rants and Raves - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Indianapolis Colts

Preseason Week 1 Rants and Raves

Moderator: Football Moderators

Preseason Week 1 Rants and Raves

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:53 am

Just some quick rants and raves about the week one matchup...

QB- Obviously, Jim Sorgi has an edge over anyone else because of his experience with the Colts, but Quinn Gray really showed me something. Throwing on the run is tough enough, but throwing on the run and hitting wideout 30 yards downfield is really impressive. He zinged a ball to Onrea Jones while quickly rolling out to his right. It's obviously very early, but Gray has a very legit shot of making the final roster if he continues to play like that. As for the Pillsbury Throwboy, cut him yesterday. Dear God, Lorenzen looked like crap. Where Jim Sorgi seems to hold on with the ball to long, Lorenzen tosses it far to quickly and makes very sloppy decisions with the ball. Replace him with anyone right now. I'm sure Kelly Holcomb is available. Hell, sign Jared from Subway for all I care.

RB- Wow, talk about a deep group of guys. It was so sweet seeing Dominic Rhodes back in Colts blue. He showed his usual zip and spin moves, hitting the hole with great burst. I'm far more excited to see him out there than Kenton Keith, who seemed a bit lost out there at times. I really do think he'll be the odd man out given how well both Clifton Dawson and Mike Hart played. While Dawson certainly held his own with some decent runs, Hart just blew me away. Not a single run of less that ten yards for Hart. I don't care if he was playing against the second and third teams out there, the guy did everything right. He waited patiently for blocks to develop, showed great vision and hit holes as soon as they were available. He even blocked well. I really dig this guy and think he's going to continue impressing.

WR- First off, I'm a believer in Marvin Harrison's comeback. However, if he doesn't come back full strength, there's a pretty solid group behind him. Wayne and Gonzo are given starters in the Colts three-wide sets, but there's more. First off, I thank God that Aaron Moorehead is gone from this group. Devin Aromashodu looked like he belongs on the Colts final roster. I've heard he's been as solid as anyone in camp at the wideout spot and certainly backed up those claims by running very well with the second unit. Crisp routes and great hands will get you points with Colts WR coach Clyde Christensen and both Aromashodu and rookie Pierre Garcon looked great in both departments. Roy Hall also looked strong when he got some playing time, though he played more with Lorenzen than Gray. Outside of the TD score, I didn't see much of Onrea Jones. Courtney Roby played mostly special teams. I will say, I was disappointed not to see Sam Giguere, but I have a feeling he wasn't ready to go. Clyde Christensen has been especially tough on Giguere, who has shown a fair deal of mental lapses in practice. Still, word from Terre Haute (Colts training camp), is that the coaches are especially tough on him because he has shown serious potential. Hopefully, he gets a shot in week two.

TE- While I will always have fond memories of Ben Utecht and Bryan Fletcher, I don't think I'll miss them quite as much if Gijon Robinson continues playing like he did on Sunday. What a beeeeeaaast!!!! The guy is a brooding fullback in tight end's clothing. I swear the man caught everything thown his way and took some big hits without flinching. While Robinson would get smacked over the middle and hang on to the football, Utecht would have both fumbled and limped off the field. Very impressive work from the second year TE, Robinson. Jacob Tamme looked a lot like a young Dallas Clark when he received playing time. I can't wait to see what the Colts do from the two-TE set this season.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Indianapolis Colts