Rookie manager needs advice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Rookie manager needs advice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rookie manager needs advice

Postby farticus » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:19 pm

Finally going to get my feet wet, decided to get in a money league (a fool and his money, I know, they love me at the riverboat too)
Who runs a reputable league? Should I go to Yahoo, CBS, ESPN, what?
Is one scoring scheme better for beginners than another, or is my best bet to understand the scoring for the leauge I join?
I'm fairly confident in my ability to draft, but there is a lot of diversity in the positions that you have to start. Again, is one scheme better for a beginner?
Are beginners a pain to the other owners? I'd like to avoid most of the common mistakes if at all possible.
farticus
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rookie manager needs advice

Postby joejlitz » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:55 pm

Are you going to run a $$ league or join one? We use CBS for our $$ league.

If you are just going to join one, check out the Classifieds section on this web-site. There are always people looking for fish...I mean owners. ;-D

Scoring schemes are all about personal preference. Just know what the scoring rules are before you join/draft. PPR vs. non-PPR is the first major rule that comes to mind that will definitely affect how u draft. Good luck!
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby bspel55 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Yahoo is really straightforward in my opinion. The problem a lot of people have with it is it isn't incredibly deep compared to other sites, but I think it does the job just fine.

It's where I started and I turned out ok lol
bspel55
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby cstorms » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:26 pm

i am on Yahoo, which has a pretty solid system for fantasy sports. I have heard from a few that CBS is decent, and I have heard from many that ESPN is terrible. In fact people have gone out of their way to tell me to stay away from ESPN fantasy sports. Just things my friends and people online have said. Overall yahoo seems to be pretty reliable...hope this helps...good luck
cstorms
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:41 pm

farticus wrote:Finally going to get my feet wet, decided to get in a money league (a fool and his money, I know, they love me at the riverboat too)
Who runs a reputable league? Should I go to Yahoo, CBS, ESPN, what?
Is one scoring scheme better for beginners than another, or is my best bet to understand the scoring for the leauge I join?
I'm fairly confident in my ability to draft, but there is a lot of diversity in the positions that you have to start. Again, is one scheme better for a beginner?
Are beginners a pain to the other owners? I'd like to avoid most of the common mistakes if at all possible.

Welcome to the Cafe! ;-D

I agree with joe about the classifieds if you don't have enough people to start your own league. They are here:

viewforum.php?f=4

As far as websites? They're all reputable. Some have different features than others. Free yahoo doesn't allow a real waiver system so I try not to play there. They have it 1st come 1st serve all the time, no other options. :-t You can get a real waiver system if you pay for yahoo plus. I think myfantasyleague.com is the best pay site out there (that I know of). Very customizable and only amount to about $6 a piece for 12 team leagues. For beginners, I'd just go with the default settings of the site you choose. Those are almost always as basic as you can get and good for beginners. ;-D

Otherwise, the Cafe is the best place to start. Stick around, read, ask questions. Cheatsheets can be found here:

viewtopic.php?t=139810

I hope that helps a little. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby glackk » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:15 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:Free yahoo doesn't allow a real waiver system so I try not to play there. They have it 1st come 1st serve all the time, no other options. :-t You can get a real waiver system if you pay for yahoo plus.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "real waiver system," but free Yahoo does have waiver priority based initially on the reverse draft order.
glackk
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Beginner's Forum