What do you hope to see from X-game 1? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

What do you hope to see from X-game 1?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What do you hope to see from X-game 1?

Postby dream_017 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:15 am

Pre-season games are on tape delay, it was show at 9:00 last night, and will probably be on again over the weekend some time.

Well, I did go to the game and it made me remember why I hate going to pre-season games. It's not the product on the field, but the other people in the stands. Mostly guys that think they know football, but the only games they can go to are pre-season. I had some guy in front of me keep yelling for K Smith, even after his first carry. Some other guy turned around and said that was Smith and the guy shut up the rest of the game.

On to my thoughts from the game:

Very nice first drive by the starters. I liked the mis-directions and roll-outs. Kitna still had problems hitting WRs in stride. He had a number of passes including the TD to Williams that was thrown behind him. He did make a nice pass to the sideline for Calvin's big catch. Very nice play. The O-line I thought played terrible. Backus missed a guy on the first drive that Kitna had to avoid to make that big 3rd and 3 play. Gosder had a rough go. I hope it was just nerves or something but 2 penalties and then on a run he missed his guy bad(the run was to the opposite side, but still), then at the end of the half he missed again and Orlovsky was almost sacked. They didn't have a lot of passing routes with the 1st team so I didn't get to see if WRs were getting open, besides the 1st drive plays, but they were very quick routes. Calvin made some nice quick cuts to get open on his catches. The O-line opened one hole all night :-t Tatum is going to come out looking bad, but it wasn't all his fault. I didn't much speed from K Smith when he tried to break one outside, but agian there was nothing for him to run through.
Overall, very impressed with the 1st drive play selection and execution. Very concerned about the run blocking.

The defense overall palyed OK I thought. With that said, they did get pushed around a lot on the line of scrimmage. Darby I thought played a very good game. Francis seemed to be getting through the line pretty good and had some pressure on the QB. The DBs stayed with the WRs and caused some dump-offs that were rushed and turned into incompletions. I think the back-ups had a rougher time and the Giants were able to move the ball pretty good.

The lines didn't play that great which is what I was looking for them to be improved on. It could be a long season if they don't get that worked out. The WRs were solid, Kitna still needs to hit them in stride for bigger plays. I was really impressed with the roll-out and play action, I really liked that and they worked good too, which eventually may open up more holes for runs.

Hard to judge based on a couple of series, but a 7-0 win (1st teams vs 1st teams) I'll take ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:49 pm

I agree with pretty much what you said, Dream, save the T Bell part. I thought he looked very very slow and showed no inclination to hit the hole hard (Sorry about the puny hole, but the holes were tiny). What was nice to see was that the passing game wasn't abandoned. I wonder if they get any success at all with the run game if they will still throw, or if they will put us into a coma with 3 td runs.
Franchise looks almost ready to take over. I think you will not be able to draft him outside of the top 15 next season. Roy looked odd, don't really know how or why I feel that. He just looked out of sorts.
Here is where NimRod needs to shed his Nimroddiness. He needs to make a couple adjustments in his starting line-up.
Gosdar should be starting instead of Foster. Foster sucks and changing the blocking scheme isn't going to make him better. Stick the rook in there and live and die with your draft picks.
Cut Tatum Bell. Okay, a bit extreme, but there is no reason that he should be playing in front of Smith and Pinner. Period. Your first X-game and he ran like he was on his period and worried about someone pulling the string.
Put out an APB for our D-line. I remember White making one play, and it was a broken play. You need to seriously consider firing the D-line coach. These guys weren't ready. Remember before the warchant was sign all the Bucs secondary? Your anthem was put pressure on the QB. You have failed miserably.

Didn't see Stanton. How did he look?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:30 pm

moochman wrote:I agree with pretty much what you said, Dream, save the T Bell part. I thought he looked very very slow and showed no inclination to hit the hole hard (Sorry about the puny hole, but the holes were tiny). What was nice to see was that the passing game wasn't abandoned. I wonder if they get any success at all with the run game if they will still throw, or if they will put us into a coma with 3 td runs.
Franchise looks almost ready to take over. I think you will not be able to draft him outside of the top 15 next season. Roy looked odd, don't really know how or why I feel that. He just looked out of sorts.
Here is where NimRod needs to shed his Nimroddiness. He needs to make a couple adjustments in his starting line-up.
Gosdar should be starting instead of Foster. Foster sucks and changing the blocking scheme isn't going to make him better. Stick the rook in there and live and die with your draft picks.
Cut Tatum Bell. Okay, a bit extreme, but there is no reason that he should be playing in front of Smith and Pinner. Period. Your first X-game and he ran like he was on his period and worried about someone pulling the string.
Put out an APB for our D-line. I remember White making one play, and it was a broken play. You need to seriously consider firing the D-line coach. These guys weren't ready. Remember before the warchant was sign all the Bucs secondary? Your anthem was put pressure on the QB. You have failed miserably.

Didn't see Stanton. How did he look?

I'll agree that Bell did look slow, but really there was nothing but a bunch of butts to run into. Actually everyone seemed pretty slow, I haven't been to a pre-season game in a while, maybe that was it or maybe just not seeing any football for a while :-?

Personally, I think they are going to continue to pass, and why wouldn't they with the weapons they have. If they do get the run blocking and the running game takes off, I think they could actually move the ball with a threat of both the run and pass. We have usually had either one or the other.

I don't think it will be long before K Smith gets his chance and keeps it with the 1st team. Couldn't really hit on the Roy comment, maybe watching the replay I will get that but he seemed into it from afar. I couldn't agree more with Godsar, that may have contributed to his false starts too, sitting there for 1 1/2 quarters waiting to get into the game. He may have just been rusty, but he needs to play with the 1st team no doubt. I forgot to mention Foster, he did look bad.

The D-line did get really pushed around out there. I watched just them for a whole series and the Giants just pushed them wherever they didn't want them and opened huge holes. Francis did look good though. The linebackers looked a little lost out there. Not sure if it was the headsets(if they made mention during the broadcast or not), but they looked liek they didn't know what was coming or who to cover.

Stanton - very odd playcalling his first series(maybe even his second) From there I ended up meeting one of my friends in the 4th Q so I didn't see much of the end, so I can't comment on his performance, but I thought the big O did decent as the back-up.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Previous

Return to Detroit Lions