Bye weeks in your drafting strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bye weeks in your drafting strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do you consider bye weeks when you are drafting?

Not at all
26%
Yes
17%
Very little
57%

Total votes : 23

Re: Bye weeks in your drafting strategy

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:16 am

Just like so much of my draft day strategy it is a dynamic philosophy. I don't consider it when the draft starts, and only really think of it when chosing my back-up QB. Lately I have done and about face and think if my starters share the same bye week I would rather continue getting the best talent/need than a bye week filler. My thoughts are that I would rather lose one week than hurt my team on two weeks. Say I have AP and Selvin Young, who both have a week 8 bye. Better to risk punting week 8 than pair either of these with a lesser more inconsistant RB and risk losing 2 weeks.
I don't go out of my way, but if the draft unfurls like that, it's how I'll roll.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Humpback » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:50 am

Kind of depends on the league. If you're in a large league with limited rosters and/or pick ups, you have to consider them somewhat. For most leagues, I only use them as a tie-breaker if I have players ranked the same, and even that's only for back-ups.
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby killiansjmd » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:32 am

I try not to draft my backups with the same bye week as my starters but I'm not going to pass on someone I think is going to have a big year because of it.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:53 am

lets say i'm picking my #3 or #4 WR, and i have them pretty much a coin-flip, but one has a common bye week with my starter, then i'll consider it...otherwise, not so much

also, in leagues with shallow rosters, i try to have my TE, K and DEF have seperate bye weeks so i only have to drop 1 player for each of those weeks, but more often than not i'll just drop my K or DEF for a WW option, unless i end up with a really good one somehow
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikus » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:57 am

killiansjmd wrote:I try not to draft my backups with the same bye week as my starters but I'm not going to pass on someone I think is going to have a big year because of it.

;-D
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby treat24 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:02 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:The only positions where I'll let it change the player I draft is at quarterback or tight end (if I draft a backup). At running back and wide receiver, never.

me too... if even then...

in one league I have 8 people on bye in the same week. Oh well... gonna lose that week, but I should be solid the other 12-15 :-)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:29 pm

The only other thing I thought about was if your league required you to field a full roster and you had a ton of guys on a bye that week. I guess you could forfeit, but that could be a situation to look at.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk