Ethics/Fairness issue - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Ethics/Fairness issue

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ethics/Fairness issue

Postby Spartan03 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:56 am

I'm running an in-person auction league for the first time this year with a group of guys who have been around a few years. Like everything else in life, even if I tell my league 4 months in advance the draft date (which I did), people still make plans on that specific night for some reason. One owner who really wants to play, but likely can't make it wants me to bid on his behalf. The guy just says he wants Brady and Moss (Pats fan) and to spend the rest of his money however I see fit. I'm the commissioner, and I don't want to be seen as colluding with the other guy. I was honestly just thinking of trying to help the guy out so he can play, because he trusts my judgment and just wants to play with us no matter what. If I draft for 2 people (myself and him), is that even fair? I can see how people would think it's not, but my intentions are not to screw him over and make competition weaker. This guy won the league last year, so it's probably more sensitive than if he was last place. To clear things up, I would not be playing 2 teams, only drafting for 2. Thanks in advance.
Spartan03
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ethics/Fairness issue

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:02 am

It's one thing if it's a redraft and a guy can provide a list of players ranked in advance. For an auction league, you don't have much leeway that I can see. Hopefully some of the Cafe experts can provide some advice. Could perhaps he, or you or someone else, find a person who is familiar with FF and could maybe perform his draft for him, based on his initial instructions of brady/moss? And really, shouldn't announce that kind of thing up front... i'd be inclined to run up the bid knowing that I could bankrupt someone in the process ;-)

Good luck, hope you find a solution.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:46 pm

for the last 2 years in one of my baseball auction leagues my roommate and i have shared a computer while drafting. we very early learned that this could be tricky. so what we did was establish as soon as the player came up who needed or wanted him more. this was a little easier in our situation bc if we both wanted him we would state how high we would go, and the higher of the two got to bid on him.

so you could do similar to that here. obviously if a guy comes up that you dont like, then dont bid on him for either team. but if a guy you like comes up, see which team needs him more, or would bid more on him and let that team go for it

of course do not let yourself suffer by having to draft the other guy's team. so this inherantly gives the other guy a dissadvantage, as he will be getting guys over what you would pay, or guys you dont need. but that's what comes with not being at the draft and not finding a third party to draft for him. at least he isnt autodrafting
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:49 pm

and yes, my roommate and I's way of handling drafting together is probably a little collusion...but hey, its worked out good for me the last 2 years and not for him...so ill take it :-b

which brings up the point if its considered collusion if you draft for 2 teams. i would say yes, a little. as that takes out one potential bidder that could bring it up taht extra $1 or 2. so i would definately let the other drafters know beforehand and see if they dont want it to happen
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mozzy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:13 pm

I'd say write up a list of players at each position and have him put a maximum bid on each player that you listed, and follow the numbers he listed. For example, if it is a 10 team league with 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, 1 team DEF, and 1 K, list 11 QBs, (brady plus 10 potential backup QBs) , 20 RBs, 25 WRs, (Moss plus 24 potential others), and 10 TEs, DEFs, and kickers. Hopefully out of the 45 RB/WRs you can get a flex player. That way, he will have the ability to draft his entire starting lineup as well as potentially some backups. Hopefully that will be enough to make your league happy. I agree this is a time consuming and tedious suggestion, but it is the only suggestion I can think of that will potentially satisfy the rest of your league, as well as yourself.
mozzy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Commissioner's Corner