Interesting Scoring System Strategy Help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Interesting Scoring System Strategy Help

Moderator: Football Moderators

Interesting Scoring System Strategy Help

Postby shappy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:08 pm

So I am joining a new league this year and am interested in seeing what some people's opinions of certain players to target based on the scoring that is set into place.

A quick rundown of it is follows. For each offensive player you get points for touchdowns, however they are scaled to how long the touchdown is.

This is the following for the QBs, RBs, WRs, and TE
Plus 1 point for a PaTD of 0 to 9 Yds
Plus 2 points for a PaTD of 10 to 19 Yds
Plus 3 points for a PaTD of 20 to 29 Yds
Plus 4 points for a PaTD of 30 to 39 Yds
Plus 5 points for a PaTD of 40 to 49 Yds
Plus 6 points for a PaTD of 50 to 59 Yds
Plus 7 points for a PaTD of 60 to 69 Yds
Plus 8 points for a PaTD of 70 to 79 Yds
Plus 9 points for a PaTD of 80 to 89 Yds
Plus 10 points for a PaTD of 90 to 99 Yds
Plus 11 points for a PaTD of 100 to 110 Yds

Also for each 10 yards the RB, WR, TE all get 1 point, and every 30 yards the QB gets one point.

There is also a special scoring system in place, so if you do something that is not native to your position, as in a rb catching a touchdown or a wr running the ball they get 1.5x the points.

I am just curious as to what people think would be good players to target in this type of league, guys to stay away from. At first thought I feel like a person such as Vince Young would be a bit more valuable since he is a running QB, also brian westbrook since he catches a good amount of passes.

ANy other suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Last edited by shappy on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shappy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Interesting Scoring System Strategy

Postby shappy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:14 pm

Even if someone knows of rankings that include length of touchdown, or a place where I can get these stats so I can make my own point breakdown. That would be really helpful too
shappy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Re: Interesting Scoring System Strategy Help

Postby shappy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:56 am

my draft is on saturday, so any help prior would be great.

If you have a thread you started leave a link I will do my best to get to it.
shappy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:08 am

Players that tend to get long runs or passes will benefit the most. E.g. Brady and Moss will connect for long passes, so they are even more valuable. Adrian Peterson is also a "home run" kind of player, scoring on long runs so he would benefit.

Of course most players will get some extra points because of the scoring, I'll try to give a list of players who tend to specialize on long plays. Of course you should try to get the best players you can, and I probably left out some names, but these guys often have at least 1 touchdown from a bomb play.

QB
Brady
Peyton
Palmer
Brees
Romo
Cutler (possible)
Favre
Eli Manning

RB
Adrian Peterson
Maurice Jones Drew (benefits well from the 1.5x)
Westbrook (1.5x)
Reggie Bush (definite home-run type of player, and could benefit from the 1.5x)
Michael Turner (possible)

WR
Moss
Owens
Chad Johnson
Plaxico
Fitzgerald
Colston
Santonio Holmes
Roddy White
Lee Evans
Chris Chambers
Santana Moss
Nate Burleson

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby shappy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:35 am

I appreciate the help and agree with you on a lot of those guys. I am having some trouble deciding what to do with the 7th overall pick. I am assuming from the people in the league that Brady will not go in the top 6, and that he might be available to me, but I am not so sure if I want to make that pick with him, and instead take a rb-rb or rb-wr mix.

I think I would probably have the chance to get someone like marshawn lynch at 7 or possibly a frank gore type (although I think the person drafting 6 would take him)

I could go lynch-mcgahee with 7 and 14

could go brady - mcgahee or brady - lynch if he is still around

It is just so hard to project people's points based on these stats. Any other help or suggestions are welcome. Also if anyone knows of a stat website that has how long touchdowns were that would be really helpful.
shappy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:16 am

boy what a way to devalue the most important thing...the TD. i would assume that most TDs, especially from RBs would be inside 20 yds...so you get 2 points for that...wow. now you also get normal value for yardage. what this means to me is try and target guys who will get good yardage, not so much just on TDs. thomas jones, willie parker come to mind. guys who get tons of yards but are not so high bc they dont get the TDs. i personally dont like the set up at all. if a guy gets three TDs, but are all from under 10 yards he gets 3 points???

lynch is another guy, as he gets devauled as his offense isnt so good. but the yards should be there. i would strickly take my yardage projections and go from that. i wouldnt even worry about TDs. i dont have any facts, but i would think long TDs are so few and far between why even bother wasting time thinking about them.

of course the first round guys are a little bit different...brady, moss and ADP are the exception i would think
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk