Greatest ALL-Time Fantasy Players? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Greatest ALL-Time Fantasy Players?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Greatest ALL-Time Fantasy Players?

Postby CrimsonTide » Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:49 pm

Someone asked who is the best player in Fantasy Football currently. I figured why not start another thread - greatest FF players of all time.

You can post both keepers and one-season guys.
Keepers should be based on longevity and scoring ability. One year wonders are exactley that who would you like for a one season run.

Here's my list of keepers:
RB: Emmitt Smith (91-96)
WR: Jerry Rice (85-95)
QB: Steve Young (91-97 run)

Here's my list of guys for one year (I'm excluding the ones above or it might be a repeat except for qb)
RB Terrell Davis 1998 - 2000 yards and 20+ tds
WR: Randy Moss
QB: Kurt Warner for you new guys - 4000 yards and 40 tds

All time season Dan Marion 1984. - 5000 yards and 48 tds.

List a qb, rb,
CrimsonTide
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:17 pm

Even though this is my first year I still think I am entitled to my opinion. First of all, I don't see how you can say Moss as a one year player. He is one of the best keepers there is. He has nerv had less than 1200 yards in a season. I suppose that Jerry Rice may be have been a little better than him, I wasn't doing this in Rice's prime, or maybe you were only referring to guys who are retired...

Anyway, I think that Barry Sanders was a pretty good Fantasy player while he was playing. He had a lot of great years, and he could have broken the all time record. I agree, you can't go against Steve Young. A WR, I don't like Rice, and am a VIking fan, so I think Cris Carter. He had some of the best hands in the game and was part of what Moss is today.

One-year guys, Warner was phenomenal in 2000. His stats were awesome. (I think it was 2000) And for a RB I would say, Emmitt in 95 when he rushed for 1700 and 25 TDs was pretty awesome. WRs, Moss has had some great years, but none as good as Mavin Harrison's last year. 1800 yds.

How is that for not showing team pride? These may jnot be great since i never played then, but they were some good years by those guys.

All-time greatest player: Randy Moss! I can't make a post in a thread like this without mentioning his name. He won't ever beat Rice's records, simply because he won't play as long. By the time he retires though he will have more yards in his career than Rice's first as many years as he plays. I don't know if that makes sense, but it is true!
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CrimsonTide » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:40 pm

Read my article... I said I made the one year player awards while excluding the guys I thought would be all time keepers... thus Jerry Rice or Emmitt couldn't be the #1 one year player.

When I use the term one year player, I meant who would you draft in non-keeper leagues - not one year wonders.. And yes, Emmit's single season is better than Davis'. I just wanted to pick different players.

For the record, in his prime Jerry Rice was a much better FF player than Moss. He had about a 10 year run as the #1 WR. In a keeper league that is incredible. Longevity is a key to keeper leagues. You are correct, Moss will not match the #'s Jerry Rice has posted. Sorry to tell you but Jerry Rice was a better WR in his prime than Moss is in his. He ran better routes and had much better hands. Randy might be more physically gifted but Rice is the superior receiver.

Barry Sanders was great in yardage leagues that awarded long distance bonuses and performance bonuses. Yet, he was not as great as you would think because Wayne Fontes never gave him the ball around the goal line.

As for Cris Carter, he was decent but he's in the same league as Carl Pickens, Issac Bruce, etc... good for a short time.
CrimsonTide
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Justifiable_Sin » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:47 pm

QB-Marino
RB-E.Smith and E.Dickerson
WR-Rice and H. Moore
TE-T.Christiansen
PK-M.Andersen
Def-85 Bears
***A clear conscience is only a clear sign of a horrible memory***
Justifiable_Sin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: on foot...approximately 40 miles south of the mental institution

Postby guester » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:10 pm

Aside from football, I think the greatest fantasy player of all time in ANY sport is W.Gretzky.
In 1985-86 season he scored 52 goals and had 163 assits
for a total of 215 pts. He scored more than 200 pts 4 times in his career. I don't think those records will ever be broken, especially if you consider that last years top scorer was P. Forsberg with 29 goals and 77 assist for 106 points. In fact, in the last 10 years, the top scorer has not managed more than 120 points!!
Putting it into perspective, if you equate Forsberg with the NFL's current top scorer, say P.Holmes, then Gretzky's output is equivalent to some NFL player having DOUBLE that stats of P.Holmes, i.e, somewhere in the neighbourhood of
4000 yards rushing and 50 TD's...
guester

Friendliness: %

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:11 pm

CrimsonTide wrote:Read my article... I said I made the one year player awards while excluding the guys I thought would be all time keepers... thus Jerry Rice or Emmitt couldn't be the #1 one year player.

When I use the term one year player, I meant who would you draft in non-keeper leagues - not one year wonders.. And yes, Emmit's single season is better than Davis'. I just wanted to pick different players.

For the record, in his prime Jerry Rice was a much better FF player than Moss. He had about a 10 year run as the #1 WR. In a keeper league that is incredible. Longevity is a key to keeper leagues. You are correct, Moss will not match the #'s Jerry Rice has posted. Sorry to tell you but Jerry Rice was a better WR in his prime than Moss is in his. He ran better routes and had much better hands. Randy might be more physically gifted but Rice is the superior receiver.

Barry Sanders was great in yardage leagues that awarded long distance bonuses and performance bonuses. Yet, he was not as great as you would think because Wayne Fontes never gave him the ball around the goal line.

As for Cris Carter, he was decent but he's in the same league as Carl Pickens, Issac Bruce, etc... good for a short time.

So for not being there my picks were pretty good.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Arlo » Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:40 pm

I think the greatest fantasy players are those who stand head and shoulders above the crowd at their position. Taking the hockey example, and without taking anything away from the Great One, Bobby Orr might have been an even greater star in a fantasy league in his era.

Gretzky certainly topped the list of scorers, but there were other solid forwards as well. Orr, at one time, was pretty much it as far as scoring defensemen went, and owning him would have been one heck of an advantage. ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk