Would You Like A Chance To Kill My Dreams? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Would You Like A Chance To Kill My Dreams?

Moderator: Football Moderators

I would buy and wear a brand of fantasy sports clothing if...

The clothing had a cool logo that symbolized my passion for fantasy sports
No votes
The clothing had my fantasy team name and/or logo on it
5%
The clothing had funny or relevant fantasy sayings on it
32%
The clothing had a combination of the above characteristics
No votes
I wouldn't wear ANY type of fantasy sports clothing even if you paid me!
63%

Total votes : 19

Re: Would You Like A Chance To Kill My Dreams?

Postby Metroid » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:08 am

I want to say that you shouldn't let a few comments from people you've never met be too big of a factor on your decision. Definitely let them weigh some but take our opinions for what they are...opinions. There may be a market for something like this, I can only speak for myself when I say I wouldn't be into it.

One other thing, I wonder...you aren't thinking of trying to use any sort of team or likeness of any players are you? I think that would probably be a selling point but sadly the NFL would have none of that.

Anyway I'm rambling...good luck in whatever you choose. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:16 am

It's a really far-out idea at first glance. The more I think about it, it isn't an outlandish idea. Having said that, you might be either too far ahead of the times (meaning there's no immediate want/need for your product and something you need to create a want/need) or simply it's just not a marketable idea. Mainstream media and markets are warming up to fantasy sports, with fantasy football being the gateway for all fantasy sports but I think you're too ahead. The main reason for it is because you're far from the conduit of fantasy sports in a sense. You're talking about a product that usually stays within the ecosystem of the Internet and tends to stay there despite being mentioned in other mainstream media outlets. Fantasy sports, even fantasy football, hasn't gotten to the stage where it's an all-transcending habit to the point you can sell merchandise that's not a complement to fantasy sports products.

Another thing you have to figure out is what kind of capabilities and resources you can quickly put together (while staying relatively cost efficient). Do you know how to screen branded shirts? Any techniques you know? Any access/money/know-how you can dispense in creating a product line?

Just as important is getting a good snapshot of the market and more importantly, knowing who your market is or would be. I probably pointed this out but because geek chic clothing and fantasy sports are picking up steam in their markets, can you correlate that with a surging need for fantasy sports-related apparel? That's hard to decipher without reasoning by analogy, which usually isn't the healthiest thing for pointing out a possible market opportunity.

As someone said, try going to a fantasy football convention or propose the idea to a niche shirt business (like Busted Tees). Getting 50 or 100 people that respond to your idea (better yet, your product already present) gives you a good idea if this is something that could be in demand for the future. Good luck. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:31 pm

I agree with others that there may not be much of a market, at least at this time. Also, there are others out there already doing it (not sure how successful they are):

http://www.fantasyfootballshirts.com/

http://www.fsgear.net/

http://eshirtlabs.com/

http://www.choiceshirts.com/search/FANT ... /football/

http://www.bizrate.com/kidstshirts/prod ... ylf--.html

http://www.bustedtees.com/fantasyfootball

etc, etc...
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby FFisLife » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:49 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:. It'd be nearly impossible to customize a clothing line enough to satisfy the entire fantasy community.

I think you’re exactly right about this but…. Isn’t that true for everything though? You can’t satisfy all people all the time. Trying to do so will only end up in disappointment. I think if you were to do this you would definitely have to laser focus your efforts on that segment of the market that would be into it and not try to cater to or worry about capturing the other segments of the market. Good point…Thank you for your input.

RiffRaff wrote:Never, I repeat, "NEVER", borrow money from family. Unless they are very rich and will not hold it against you. Plus; if you ever did make it big you would never hear the end of it. Frankly, no matter what happens you will never hear the end of it.

Conclusion. Never borrow money from family.

Yeah if I decide to pursue this idea I’m thinking that I might need to find another way to get the capital. Although knapplc makes a good point about trying to get funding in his post….saying,
knapplc wrote:… if you can't convince those who love you most, why should "we" invest in your idea?
Thanks for your input though.

beanoX3 wrote:What you have to do to get fantasy football gear from being a dud is to tap into the geek crowd.

I get your point here but I would have to wonder that maybe the ‘Geek’ crowd you speak of is actually just the younger crowd. Different is definitely in these days, even in the rural areas such as where I live. I just don’t know if you can classify it as the “Geek” crowd anymore… but I definitely get your point. Thanks for your input and your help.

Metroid wrote:I want to say that you shouldn't let a few comments from people you've never met be too big of a factor on your decision. Definitely let them weigh some but take our opinions for what they are...opinions.

Thanks for your optimism. I realize that opinions have to be dealt with carefully and are just that – opinions, but below the silver lining there is always some truth. What I’m getting so far from everyone that has responded is that they personally wouldn’t wear something like this. However…one has to wonder how many people out there actually would like something like this but they are afraid to speak up for fear of being in the minority? I know I would like it and I have to hope that I’m not the only one out of 300 million people. …

Perhaps I should run an anonymous poll to try to get a better feel for the true state of the feel for the idea. Maybe I can set a survey up or something that volunteers can answer without the fear of ridicule from their peers to get a more accurate scope. Thanks again for your help.

The Artful Dodger wrote:It's a really far-out idea at first glance. The more I think about it, it isn't an outlandish idea. Having said that, you might be either too far ahead of the times (meaning there's no immediate want/need for your product and something you need to create a want/need) or simply it's just not a marketable idea.

Thanks for your insight and help. Maybe I am ahead of my time or maybe it truly isn’t a marketable idea. Maybe the idea just needs to be more polished and expanded upon in a different way than it is right now. I have a few ideas that have recently come to mind that might help take it in the direction it needs to go if it was to have a chance. I’ll have to give these some more thought and then put them out there and see what you guys say.

I think maybe I’ll run a poll or survey first though if possible.

stomperrob wrote:I agree with others that there may not be much of a market, at least at this time. Also, there are others out there already doing it (not sure how successful they are): …

Thanks for taking the time to put these links together. I have seen all but one of those sites and have taken those into consideration. But honestly….those don’t even come close to the vision that I have for what I would want to create. Those are just too cheesy and isn’t what I have pictured when I think about a fantasy brand. I’m picturing a more serious, relevant identity that the serious enthusiast can relate to. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the better route is to try to create a brand by creating a product or service first and then taking it into clothing??? Anyway… just thinking out loud. Thanks again.
QB ---- Rodgers
RB ---- SJAX, Jones-Drew
W/T -- T.O., Wayne, Fitzgerald, Marshall
K ------ Elam
Def ----Tenn

8 Team PPR League
Starters: 1 QB, 2 RB, 4 W/T, 1 K, 1 DEF
FFisLife
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mattUTD20 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:39 pm

I might buy a Tshirt that somehow incorporates my league, team name and year.

I would want a shirt with the logo of whatever site I play on (Yahoo, ESPN, etc) on the chest right where a pocket would be on a button up shirt, nothing too big. Then on the back I would want the league name, team name, year and roster below that. I might even want one that has my draft roster and next to it my final team roster.

I'm sure Yahoo and ESPN could get little kids in Malaysia to do it a lot cheaper though so you would have to go to one of the less mainstream FF sites.

The problem with the comparisons to those other companies is they sell products to sports that exist in the physical world. And Ed Hardy is "cool" because tattoos are "cool" and "edgy" and they have edgy designs. Fantasy Football is not edgy.

The only way you could make this idea more mainstream is if you sold t-shirts with FF catchphrases or colloquiol sayings that other FF people would understand. Like a previous poster mentioned "Shanahanigans" or "Satanahan" and have a picture of Shanahan changed into the likeness of the devil.

But this is really a niche market here and is not something that is going to translate into a fashion phenomenon. I would focus on what people associate fantasy football to most (their teams) and try to run with that. After all, people don't go running around wearing NFL shirts, they wear team apparel. Yes the NFL is fun, Fantasy Football is fun, but I think you'll find people care most about their teams and are willing to pay to physically put on display their team pride.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:30 pm

It would seem that several here are of a similar frame of mind as myself - while I love fantasy football, I don't see myself ever wearing a FF shirt unless it was an incredible design -I much prefer wearing Steelers and Wolverines apparel to show support of the teams I root for.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Guru13 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:41 pm

beanoX3 wrote:I don't see people being mocked for wearing a t-shirt with something like "Shanahanigans killed my fantasy season". =

the honest to god truth of the matter is that I would wear that shirt atleast twice a week. :-b ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby FFisLife » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:34 pm

Interesting point mattUTD20...

mattUTD20 wrote:...After all, people don't go running around wearing NFL shirts, they wear team apparel. Yes the NFL is fun, Fantasy Football is fun, but I think you'll find people care most about their teams and are willing to pay to physically put on display their team pride.

This gave me an idea that I hadn't thought of before. I'll fill everyone in on it when I can iron it out in a clear way. Right now it's pretty rough but I think it has potential. :-?

In the mean time I'm still trying to figure out how to place a poll...
QB ---- Rodgers
RB ---- SJAX, Jones-Drew
K ------ Elam
Def ----Tenn

8 Team PPR League
FFisLife
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FFisLife » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:05 pm

I just figured out how to place a poll and have posted it. It should show up at the top of the page. Please submit your vote. Thanks!
QB ---- Rodgers
RB ---- SJAX, Jones-Drew
K ------ Elam
Def ----Tenn

8 Team PPR League
FFisLife
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:52 pm

I can't help but feel like you're ignoring the 'No' people and looking at the 'yes' and 'maybe' people just to hear what you want to hear. It doesn't matter to me, it's not my money, wait and see how your vote turns out. Personally, I think it's ridiculous that you're staking your financial solvency on a fantasty sports website poll.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk