Miami QB's (update: Pennington signed) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Miami QB's (update: Pennington signed)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Miami QB's

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:54 pm

Source: Dolphins inquire about Pennington
By Edgar Thompson | Thursday, August 7, 2008, 11:48 AM

With Brett Favre now a New York Jet, Chad Pennington is now available to the man who drafted him in 2000.

Bill Parcells and the Dolphins haven’t wasted any time reaching out to Pennington’s agent, Tom Condon, an NFL source said.

To make room for Favre and his $12-million contract, Pennington, 32, will officially be released at 4 p.m.

Given the Dolphins situation at quarterback during training camp, Pennington could land in South Florida.

Veteran Josh McCown has looked shaky, including a three-interception day on Tuesday, while second-year pro John Beck has leveled out a bit this week following a rough opening week of camp.

Rookie Chad Henne, who turned 23 last month, has been the best of the three for the past week.

But Parcells is known to prefer veteran quarterbacks, other than his first season in New England when he went with 23-year-old Drew Bledsoe, who was the No. 1 draft pick in 1993.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/cont ... about.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:08 pm

So far in camp Henne has looked the best of the 3 QBs. Beck has looked horrible and I wouldn't be surprised if his spot on the team is in jeopardy. He is going to have to step it up big time in the preseason games. The current regime didn't draft him and will have no prob getting rid of him. The Fins have around 20 million in cap room so they could easily afford to pay Pennington.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:46 pm

Dolphins have signed Pennington...

Pennington agrees to deal with Dolphins

The Dolphins have agreed to a multi-year contract with quarterback Chad Pennington, according to two NFL sources.

Pennington is expected to fly to South Florida Saturday or early Sunday, meaning he might be present when the team plays the Tampa Bay Bucs in its preseason opener at Dolphin Stadium. That assumes Pennington passes his physical.

Terms of the deal are not immediately available, although Foxsports.com, which first reported the story, says it is a two-year deal. The Dolphins are neither confirming or denying the report. But this much is certain: It is hard to see a Dolphins team with Pennington, Josh McCown and John Beck on the roster.

One of those latter two will be gone soon. It is possible the Dolphins will try to trade either McCown or Beck once the coaching staff is convinced Pennington is better. That may not take very long.

This move, by the way, is frought with contradiction.

The team spent the entire offseason ignoring starting-caliber talent in free agency simply because some of the players were over 30 years old. The idea was to sign players that would still be around when the team came out of the talent darkness it is currently in.

con't...

rest of article: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... -agre.html
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Miami QB's (update: Pennington signed)

Postby VaderFin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:48 pm

What a crazy off season for the Fins. Noodle arm in Miami. He's a short term upgrade over what we have but still.....hopefully Henne is the future and Beck hopefully gets traded for.....something.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:55 pm

VaderFin wrote:What a crazy off season for the Fins. Noodle arm in Miami. He's a short term upgrade over what we have but still.....hopefully Henne is the future and Beck hopefully gets traded for.....something.

I don't think the Arena league would be interested in Beck.

Pennington is an upgrade. I think you guys at least quadruple your 07 wins.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:34 am

I guess Pennington can make the fans happy so they think the Dolphins are trying to win games...but they are probably better off just rolling with Henne or whoever looks the best in preseason. Pennington is not their future answer and they are a rebuilding team, so might as well see what they have at QB and develop what they can.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:49 am

This can't make Ginn owners too happy. Could help the Phins{ until Henne is ready. Tuna will be very happy to try short passing to augment what should be a good power run game.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Brianst » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:04 am

moochman wrote:This can't make Ginn owners too happy. Could help the Phins{ until Henne is ready. Tuna will be very happy to try short passing to augment what should be a good power run game.
Exactly, no long bombs to Ginn. Their TE might be worth something now, I just have to check to see who that is. :-?
Brianst
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:10 pm

Chad Pennington's passing gets rave reviews
McCown, Beck well-paid observers on ex-Jet's 1st day
By Harvey Fialkov | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
August 12, 2008

DAVIE - Suddenly, footballs were hitting receivers in their hands instead of bouncing off the field turf of the indoor practice bubble as they have been all training camp.

The difference? It was quarterback Chad Pennington's first day of practice with the Dolphins.

"Obviously, with Chad here, he just brings that veteran leadership," receiver Derek Hagan said. "He definitely knows what he's talking about, definitely takes command of the huddle. We've been waiting for that, looking for that and we got that with Chad."

As coach Tony Sparano predicted, Pennington took the dominant share of the snaps (28) with the starters Monday, while rookie Chad Henne (21) worked with the backups. Meanwhile, Josh McCown (three snaps) and John Beck (two) were turned into highly paid spectators.

"I tried to remain calm on the outside, [but] it's like a tornado on the inside," said Pennington, who completed 13 of 21, including deft lobs into the end zone, with one interception he was steamed about.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/foot ... 9737.story

and...

Pennington will start for Dolphins, but Henne is the future
Ethan J. Skolnick | Sports columnist
August 10, 2008
MIAMI GARDENS

Chad Pennington rapped a playsheet against his aqua practice shorts, while roaming the sidelines to rap with his new teammates.

Josh McCown shared a laugh. Jay Feely lent an ear. Boomer Grigsby extended a hand.

Wearing a fitted cap, an earpiece and a fresh Dolphins jersey with his familiar No. 10, Pennington passed nothing but the time in Saturday night's preseason opening 17-6 loss to Tampa Bay.

In four weeks, he'll be passing against his old teammates.

Yes, Pennington will start Sept. 7 against the Jets and, barring a health setback, deep into 2008. He won the job the second he signed, on the strength of prior accomplishments, which include four seasonal completion percentages higher than any in Dolphins history. He'll be plenty prepared, too. The Rhodes Scholarship finalist spent his flight thumbing through materials from 2000, the rookie season he spent working under current Dolphins offensive coordinator Dan Henning.

"This is a place that I needed to be, wanted to be," Pennington said.

So he will be under center at the season's start.

The better question, obscured by Pennington's official arrival, is whether we finally saw the start of something special at the quarterback position Saturday night, something that can give the Dolphins a chance to sustain success during the century's second decade.

The Chad to watch wasn't the veteran on the sidelines, learning and tutoring.

It was the impressive rookie on the field.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/foot ... 295.column
stomperrob

Postby VaderFin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:23 pm

Brianst wrote:
moochman wrote:This can't make Ginn owners too happy. Could help the Phins{ until Henne is ready. Tuna will be very happy to try short passing to augment what should be a good power run game.
Exactly, no long bombs to Ginn. Their TE might be worth something now, I just have to check to see who that is. :-?

Anthony Fasano will be the starter with David Martin getting some receiving time. Nothing to get excited about.

As for Pennington....despite his noodle arm and my long time hatred of him, I'm glad he's a Fin. First, he won't be out there beating the Fins every year like he's done. Second, he's better then what we have right now. No, he's not the long term future and while I hope Henne might be it's going to hugely help Henne's development if he doesn't have to be out there. Sit the whole year, watch and learn I say. Beck? No thanks, he looked horrible last year and looks horrible so far this year. A waste of a 2nd rounder but you gotta move on and not play a guy just cause you spent a pick on him. McCown? See his past play to know no thanks there. I'd love to see the Fins trade Beck for a late rounder, make Henne the third QB to watch and learn and only play McCown if Pennington gets hurt.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Football Talk