Anyone else in GT not actually play fantasy football? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Anyone else in GT not actually play fantasy football?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Anyone else in GT not actually play fantasy football?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:55 pm

I skipped fantasy football last year because simply, I didn't prepare for the previous year. I won a challenge league against the Light side but I found football to be disenchanting to play in general. It was nice to watch NFL games knowing I didn't have to do any box score checking but to be honest, I don't care that much about the NFL; it's just some other sport to watch any Fall/Winter weekend. Might be sacrilegious for me to say it but I don't see football as anything special. Sorry.

The interesting thing is for the third year in a row, I'm well behind my preparation. I'm pretty sure I'll screw up my drafts and do it au naturale but I look at fantasy football as more of a fun side thing to do. I'd still be a dedicated player but despite being so competitive, winning and losing fantasy football leagues doesn't really matter to me. Fantasy baseball is more like the art of war, which I really do love, and is by far my favorite fantasy sport.

Basketball is my favorite sport, second to soccer, but I don't play fantasy basketball. I did one year and it was OK but I prefer to watch it for the sake of watching it. I do play fantasy soccer but it's so secondary to following soccer itself as well as my two favorite clubs.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:I skipped fantasy football last year because simply, I didn't prepare for the previous year. I won a challenge league against the Light side but I found football to be disenchanting to play in general. It was nice to watch NFL games knowing I didn't have to do any box score checking but to be honest, I don't care that much about the NFL; it's just some other sport to watch any Fall/Winter weekend. Might be sacrilegious for me to say it but I don't see football as anything special. Sorry.

The interesting thing is for the third year in a row, I'm well behind my preparation. I'm pretty sure I'll screw up my drafts and do it au naturale but I look at fantasy football as more of a fun side thing to do. I'd still be a dedicated player but despite being so competitive, winning and losing fantasy football leagues doesn't really matter to me. Fantasy baseball is more like the art of war, which I really do love, and is by far my favorite fantasy sport.

That makes sense for me because that's exactly the way I feel about baseball and fantasy baseball. I have found it fun to look at stats and compete in my first league this year, but I don't watch baseball and during the playoffs I might watch a few games, but its just a filler during the offseason.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:04 am

i'm thinking about going to 0 or max of one league starting next year.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby treat24 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:07 am

moonhead wrote:i'm thinking about going to 0 or max of one league starting next year.

I already told my commissioners I'm not gonna be in the 2009 season. Two League Treat... I may grab an extra league and be Three League Treat... only because a may bring back TUFF.

TFL and TWSS forever baby :-)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:08 pm

treat24 wrote:TWSS forever baby :-)

True dat. B-)
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:37 pm

I could never cut out fantasy football - I did however drop both baseball and basketball this year, and I cut way back on hockey.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:33 pm

I'm only playing in one league this season and that's the one I've been in for 8 years. I lost interest last year. I didn't even pay attention till the last couple weeks and still won that league. That shouldn't happen. I love football. Watching it, playing it, everything to do with it. But it just isn't as exciting as it used to be for me. Maybe it was because last season was so crazy and I'll fall back into it. We'll see.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Kilroy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:52 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:Kilroy, quick hit the red button! :-o

Eh, the red button would be overkill. I'll just dispatch my goons to "speak" to him. }:-) :-B

I said I was gonna cut back this year, but unless "cutting back" means adding 3 or 4 more it didn't quite go as I'd planned. Next year I really am hoping to cut the number of leagues I'm in to a more manageable number, but I don't see myself quitting anytime soon, and even if I stopped playing I'd probably still be "around" here...just like the place too much to leave.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby treat24 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:47 am

moonhead wrote:i'm thinking about going to 0 or max of one league starting next year.

I'm starting to think the same. I might just drop down to my one money league.

Like Kilroy, I'd still be hanging around a lot even with zero cafe leagues.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby RiffRaff » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:25 am

treat24 wrote:

I'm starting to think the same. I might just drop down to my one money league.

Like Kilroy, I'd still be hanging around a lot even with zero cafe leagues.

I'm quitting the money league. Only Treat and the Wifey win anyway. :~(
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk