Favre's impact on Thomas Jones and other Jet's - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Favre's impact on Thomas Jones and other Jet's

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Favre's impact on Thomas Jones and other Jet's

Postby RiffRaff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:22 am

moochman wrote:Truely one of the great mysteries. Why would any coach hitch his wagon up to a sub-par QB? I guess it just shows how much ego can blind a coach.

I live less than a mile from camp and have attended many a practice. It is scary how bad he has looked to someone who has only played to a High School level. I'm not a pro scout by any means, but watching him routinely under throw, over throw, pass to the wrong shoulder, etc... without a defense is damning to the Triangle of Authority. :-° All of these problems are compounded when there is a defense, which isn't playing at full speed. :-o
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:27 am

Let's keep in mind that Favre is going to have a tough transition to a new scheme. He is a veteran, but he had a tough time with Mike McCarthy's scheme in the first year, and really blossomed last year. The Jets run a lot more plays under center from what I've seen than the packers, and they don't have the receiver depth to spread the field like the Pack. Coles and Cotchery are not quite on the level of Driver/Jennings, but they are still good. Favre has done a lot with a lot less than those two. But don't expect much more than dropped passes and great blocking from Bubba franks these days. Dustin Keller could be a good threat if he develops quickly, because Favre relies on his TE, especially when facing the Tampa 2. He is also a terrible player against the tampa 2 even when he finds the TE, so watch out for that vs. buffalo.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby treat24 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:37 am

BlueBandit24 wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:Chilly will not back down from starting TJack. His ball and chain is firmly attached. :-° I'm not in favor of Penny either, let someone else take him as their back up. Ferret will be our Backup, Booty will be the 3rd stringer. Brooks will be cut.

Agreed. They've hitched their wagon to Jackson, for better or worse, and will live and die with him. I don't think Penny is a good fit anyway and would rather roll with the Jackson/Frerotte/Booty.

I agree and disagree. I think Penny is a great fit to some aspects of our offense, bad for others. Rice and Berrian would not do well with him. We need them to stretch the field... Penny will not give us that. I also agree that we are set on Jackson for this year. Brooks should be cut... he was easily the worst on the field at camp. He does play a mean safety though. :-b

I think Coles and Cotch are a poor man's Driver and Jennings. I might take heat for that... but I watch every Pack game I can and those two are flat out ballers and made plays happen out of nothing. That also being said, I think I only watched like 2 Jets games last year.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby RiffRaff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:39 am

Favre is now destined to do what every "Great" QB has done when leaving late in their career.
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby killiansjmd » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:47 am

skibrett15 wrote:Let's keep in mind that Favre is going to have a tough transition to a new scheme. He is a veteran, but he had a tough time with Mike McCarthy's scheme in the first year, and really blossomed last year. The Jets run a lot more plays under center from what I've seen than the packers, and they don't have the receiver depth to spread the field like the Pack. Coles and Cotchery are not quite on the level of Driver/Jennings, but they are still good. Favre has done a lot with a lot less than those two. But don't expect much more than dropped passes and great blocking from Bubba franks these days. Dustin Keller could be a good threat if he develops quickly, because Favre relies on his TE, especially when facing the Tampa 2. He is also a terrible player against the tampa 2 even when he finds the TE, so watch out for that vs. buffalo.

Trust me, Coles and Cotchery are on the same level as Driver/Jennings. Pennington lack of arm strength was holding them back. They will be just as productive. Now we do have a drop off after that as James Jones is much better third option at Wr than the Jets have. Brad Smith and Chansi Stuckey are competing for the 3WR spot. Bubba Franks is not going to start at TE for the Jets. Chris Baker is the starting TE and is in camp and happy now in regards to his contract. Franks was added to give this team another option down in the red zone.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:22 am

killiansjmd wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:Let's keep in mind that Favre is going to have a tough transition to a new scheme. He is a veteran, but he had a tough time with Mike McCarthy's scheme in the first year, and really blossomed last year. The Jets run a lot more plays under center from what I've seen than the packers, and they don't have the receiver depth to spread the field like the Pack. Coles and Cotchery are not quite on the level of Driver/Jennings, but they are still good. Favre has done a lot with a lot less than those two. But don't expect much more than dropped passes and great blocking from Bubba franks these days. Dustin Keller could be a good threat if he develops quickly, because Favre relies on his TE, especially when facing the Tampa 2. He is also a terrible player against the tampa 2 even when he finds the TE, so watch out for that vs. buffalo.

Trust me, Coles and Cotchery are on the same level as Driver/Jennings. Pennington lack of arm strength was holding them back. They will be just as productive. Now we do have a drop off after that as James Jones is much better third option at Wr than the Jets have. Brad Smith and Chansi Stuckey are competing for the 3WR spot. Bubba Franks is not going to start at TE for the Jets. Chris Baker is the starting TE and is in camp and happy now in regards to his contract. Franks was added to give this team another option down in the red zone.

I agree. You should see an improvement in Cotchery this year in TDs because Favre can get him the ball down the field. Perhaps if Driver/Jennings had Pennington throwing to them you would see the impact the QB has on the production of the WRs. I am confident that Cotchery's TD production will improve. I think he can push double digit TDs. This guy will be a steal now, taken as a 4th and will produce like a 2.

I'm not sure it will improve TJ anymore than he was already going to improve. Perhaps it keeps 8 out of the box more often because teams will be more afraid of WRs getting behind them but I thought all along TJ would have a good year because of the improvement in the OL and adding Richardson.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:18 pm

Home > Inside the Dolphins > 2008 > August > 07 > Entry
Source: Dolphins inquire about Pennington
By Edgar Thompson | Thursday, August 7, 2008, 11:48 AM

With Brett Favre now a New York Jet, Chad Pennington is now available to the man who drafted him in 2000.

Bill Parcells and the Dolphins haven’t wasted any time reaching out to Pennington’s agent, Tom Condon, an NFL source said.

To make room for Favre and his $12-million contract, Pennington, 32, will officially be released at 4 p.m.

Given the Dolphins situation at quarterback during training camp, Pennington could land in South Florida.

Veteran Josh McCown has looked shaky, including a three-interception day on Tuesday, while second-year pro John Beck has leveled out a bit this week following a rough opening week of camp.

Rookie Chad Henne, who turned 23 last month, has been the best of the three for the past week.

But Parcells is known to prefer veteran quarterbacks, other than his first season in New England when he went with 23-year-old Drew Bledsoe, who was the No. 1 draft pick in 1993

con't...

rest of article: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/cont ... about.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby treat24 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:53 pm

treat24 wrote:I think Penny is a great fit to some aspects of our offense, bad for others. Rice and Berrian would not do well with him. We need them to stretch the field... Penny will not give us that.

Chad Pennington-QB- Jets Aug. 7 - 1:31 pm et

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune does not expect the Vikings to show interest in Chad Pennington.
Pennington, who will be cut this afternoon, might be a poor fit in an offense that starts two vertical threats at receiver because of his weak arm. The Dolphins, Packers, and possibly the Bears seem most likely to pursue him.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:56 pm

treat24 wrote:
treat24 wrote:I think Penny is a great fit to some aspects of our offense, bad for others. Rice and Berrian would not do well with him. We need them to stretch the field... Penny will not give us that.

Chad Pennington-QB- Jets Aug. 7 - 1:31 pm et

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune does not expect the Vikings to show interest in Chad Pennington.
Pennington, who will be cut this afternoon, might be a poor fit in an offense that starts two vertical threats at receiver because of his weak arm. The Dolphins, Packers, and possibly the Bears seem most likely to pursue him.

That would be perfect - the Bears have no deep threat, and they could spend the whole season dumping screens off to Hester hoping he'll break one and go the distance. They could have a QB with no arm to complement their lack of WR, RB and TE. Perfect fit!
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby squirly8 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:13 pm

knapplc wrote:That would be perfect - the Bears have no deep threat, and they could spend the whole season dumping screens off to Hester hoping he'll break one and go the distance. They could have a QB with no arm to complement their lack of WR, RB and TE. Perfect fit!
If so, say goodbye to Rex & Kyle !
QB- Tannehill, Weeden, Vick, Henne
RB- A Foster, A Morris, McGahee, Jackson, B Wells, P Thomas, J Rodgers
WR- Cobb, R White, Austin, D Baldwin (Sea)
TE- Witten, Bennett
K- Tucker
DEF- SF Ind

Dynasty/16 teams H2H PLAY; 1 QB, 2 RB'S, 3 WR'S, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D
squirly8
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk