Favre's impact on Thomas Jones and other Jet's - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Favre's impact on Thomas Jones and other Jet's

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Favre's impact on Thomas Jones and other Jet's

Postby squirly8 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:55 am

QB- Tannehill, Weeden, Vick, Henne
RB- A Foster, A Morris, McGahee, Jackson, B Wells, P Thomas, J Rodgers
WR- Cobb, R White, Austin, D Baldwin (Sea)
TE- Witten, Bennett
K- Tucker
DEF- SF Ind

Dynasty/16 teams H2H PLAY; 1 QB, 2 RB'S, 3 WR'S, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D
squirly8
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AnddWon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:22 pm

Yes, I think Tarvaris is going to surprise some people this year.
AnddWon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby treat24 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:28 pm

AnddWon wrote:Yes, I think Tarvaris is going to surprise some people this year.

he looked very impressive last night.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby DemonDeacon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:12 pm

if favre gets down to business and learns the play book and forms some type of chemistry then i think Cotchery gets the biggest upgrade there in NY. He plays a lot more like other WRs that Favre did great things with. I think TJones also does well with out 8 in the box and with a beefed up OL. I like Jones for 1000+ and 7-10TDs. Solid #2 Numbers and i like Cotchery for about the same. Again solid #2 Numbers
Eastmont League 10-3 (2nd Seed)
Wenatchee League 9-4 (2nd Seed)
Urine Trouble League 6-7 (6th seed boooya!!!)
DemonDeacon
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:35 pm

Both Cotchery and TJ used to be great value, this has ruined it though. I'm sure their ADP will jump up with Favre coming onboard, and I don't expect their numbers to improve much because of him.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Azrael » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:17 pm

Jones barely makes it halfway through the 4th in a 10 teamer now. Cotchery usually goes at the beginning of the 7th.

For some reason Earnest Graham is going earlier as well, though I can't see a catalyst for this.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:18 pm

Targets such as rookie tight end Dustin Keller have been talking about how Favre's presence has changed the nature of the offense, even when it comes to being aware of the ball. When the play calls for one receiver, Favre can go to plan B without even looking.

"If you're not looking, you may get hit in the head," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said.

"There's no such thing as a decoy route, not as long as you have Brett back there," Franks said. "It's like I tell the guys: Even when you're covered, you're not really covered. If you have two hands and two arms, you're not really covered 'cause he's going to hit one of them. If you can see him, he can see you."

Favre didn't see Kerry Rhodes, however, and the lanky safety popped up and snatched one of Favre's passes, a 40-yarder intended for David Clowney, out of the sky with one hand. It was the first 11-on-11 interception for Favre in his four practices with the Jets.

That's the downside of improvisation. But yesterday's practice featured more penalty laps than touchdown passes, a day after Favre's penalty run with center Nick Mangold found its way onto YouTube.

But even with the errors taken into account, the Jets see the Favre effect as something beyond mere stats.

"Brett breathes great emotions going into the locker room," Frank said. "That lifts up the whole team. You can see how much energy there was today. The fans got involved, which makes practice a lot easier. I think that will help with the guys learning to know him, just from his energy and his practice methods."

Notes: Laveranues Coles declined interview requests for the fourth straight day since Favre became a Jet. Jets coach Eric Mangini said it was taking him time to adjust because of his friendship with Chad Pennington. "Laveranues and Chad were good friends," Mangini said. "Each situation takes different people different amounts of time to work through.

more: http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 8/SPORTS01
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Running room should open up for New York Jets' RB Thomas Jones
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
Star-Ledger Staff

...con't

Jones, a ninth-year pro, gets a second chance to make a first impression with the Jets with the arrival of quarterback Brett Favre. Jones rushed for 1,119 yards last season, but it wasn't pretty. He averaged just 3.6 yards per carry and was often caught in the backfield running behind a weak offensive line. He scored just one touchdown.

The Jets ranked 19th in the NFL in rushing (106.3 yards per game), but their 3.8-yard average per attempt ranked 27th.

The presence of Favre -- and a much-improved offensive line -- should make life much easier for Jones. Now, opponents won't be able to put seven or eight defenders in the box because they have to respect Favre's deep-ball capability.

As a result, Jones -- and Leon Washington -- should find more running lanes and be able to get into the secondary.

"I'm not really sure how defenses are going to play," Jones said. "They know (Favre's) caliber of play. They may back up, they may not.

"Obviously, as a running back you want to go in there with six guys in the box. That's one less guy that you have to deal with before you get in the secondary. But I'm prepared to deal with every situation. Hopefully, it'll be something positive."

con't...

rest of article: http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf ... xml&coll=1
Last edited by stomperrob on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Favre Works on Coles Connection
By JUDY BATTISTA
Published: August 13, 2008

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. — A week into his new marriage with the Jets, Brett Favre still has moments of doubt. He so dislikes the drudgery of football — the practices, the film study — that it drove him to retirement five months ago. When he arrived for work Wednesday morning, his arm weary from the heavy dose of work since he was traded last Wednesday night, it drove him to distraction again.

“I wondered this morning what in the heck am I doing,” Favre said after his fifth practice. “The answer to the question is: I love to play. I hate to study. At times I hate to practice, but I love to play. Up to this point, I’m willing to do whatever it takes to do that. It’s harder. I felt 38 today.”

Favre quickly pointed out that his arm was not sore or painful — narrowly averting panic from the Jets — from all the snaps he has taken since Saturday. He planned to talk to Coach Eric Mangini about limiting his throws — Mangini had not heard about that until reporters told him minutes later — and he did not know how long he would play against the Redskins on Saturday. Favre said it might be the most important preseason game he would play.

Favre said he was so anxious to play, though, that he would have taken a few snaps in Cleveland last week, less than 24 hours after he was traded, if the Jets had allowed it. He took fewer reps during Wednesday’s afternoon practice, which was the longest of training camp, at 2 hours 18 minutes.

Favre’s comfort level grew on Wednesday, when he took Laveranues Coles aside for a chat. Coles is still so upset by the team’s treatment of his friend Chad Pennington that he has declined all interview requests.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/sport ... ref=slogin
stomperrob

Previous

Return to Football Talk