Players You "Must Have" This Season... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Players You "Must Have" This Season...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Players You "Must Have" This Season...

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:19 pm

Every season, i go into drafts with a list of players that i must have, and if i need to reach in order to acquire them, i will. This season, for me, according to their ADPs, i have a list of players, i am willing to reach to obtain. Its a small list, but here it is, along with the reasoning:

Marvin Harrison: i just dont think hes lost that much! yes, age caught up to him last season, but i believe hes going early 2nd rd to start next season like he always has. the guys a workout/health fanatic and i believe hell still be every day Marvin, and considering hes going in like the 4th-5th rd, hes a steal in my eyes.

Thomas Jones: im pissed the Jets got Favre! well kinda... i had TJ on my radar early in all my mocks and i was able to get him in the 4th-5th rd range, but now ive seen him go in the 3rd! the Jets oline is gonna be pretty good this season, and i foresaw TJ having a big season as a solid RB2, if not RB1 numbers by seasons end. while hes still on my list, i am finding it harder n harder to reach for him bc of Favre now crashing my sleeper party

DeAngelo Williams: i feel like im the only one who really sees this kid taking the bull by the horns here. yes, the drafting of jonathan stewart made it clear that the Panthers dont exactly have all that much faith in DWill, but i do! im not reaching 2 rds or anything for him, but if i feel like theres a 50/50 shot of him being gone before he comes back, ill take him every time.

Selvin Young: everybody is literally terrified of the Shanahan curse of broncos RBs it seems like, and while his track record is well documented, im willing to, for one last time, defy the odds and draft a Bronco RB with confidence. i liked Selvins talents last season more than Henry, but Travis was inked to a big time contract so Selvin was burried behind him. now with noone infront of him, and virtually noone behind him (injury to Torain helps), i think he puts up monster numbers!

A few honorable mention guys for me: Vernon Davis, Jericho Cotchery, Steve Smith, LenDale White

Feel free to voice your opinions and criticize these decisions of mine!

Any body else feel free to share their list of "Must Haves" for this season! ;-D
12 Team .5 PPR Money League
1st Place 8-4 (1456.70 Pts)

QB Schaub
WR RWayne
WR Driver
RB DWill
RB RGrant
TE VDavis
W/R Mendenhall
K Tynes
DEF WW
BENCH TJHoush,DMC,Winslow,DAvery,Arizonas D (for Playoffs)
NYMetsIn2k4
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Players You

Postby eagles21 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:25 pm

Cotchery, Heath Miller, and Maurice Morris are some of the guys I have been targeting in most of my drafts.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RiffRaff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:27 pm

eagles21 wrote:Cotchery, Heath Miller, and Maurice Morris are some of the guys I have been targeting in most of my drafts.

early and often. :-o
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby treat24 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:31 pm

First off, great topic...

It depends on the league type... but in keepers and dynasties I can't avoid JStew. CJ4.24 (chris johnson for Tennesee) i have been reaching for when deeray doesn't snipe him from me. At QB I absolutely love Garrard. I have many more, but meh... I don't have time to post right now.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:45 pm

treat24 wrote:First off, great topic...

It depends on the league type... but in keepers and dynasties I can't avoid JStew. CJ4.24 (chris johnson for Tennesee) i have been reaching for when deeray doesn't snipe him from me. At QB I absolutely love Garrard. I have many more, but meh... I don't have time to post right now.

deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:17 pm

treat24 wrote:First off, great topic...

ive actually been looking for a QB to snag in the later rds. i mean, as much as i love Brees this season, and i also feel like Palmer could give solid value, i dont like drafting a QB that early, as the margin is never great from top to bottom. So u say Garrard is the man this yr huh? i like that, but im curious as to why... ive been looking at Cutler and Delhomme a bit myself, but theyre sorta on everyones radars at some point in time.

when you do have the time to post, id definetely like to hear your insight on Garrard this season, and also on those "many more" players that u didnt have time to post, thanks! ;-D
12 Team .5 PPR Money League
1st Place 8-4 (1456.70 Pts)

QB Schaub
WR RWayne
WR Driver
RB DWill
RB RGrant
TE VDavis
W/R Mendenhall
K Tynes
DEF WW
BENCH TJHoush,DMC,Winslow,DAvery,Arizonas D (for Playoffs)
NYMetsIn2k4
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Players You "Must Have" This Season...

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:58 pm

I love rivers in SD this year, he has all the weapons to be a steal where you can get him. Eli manning I think has a more consistent year now that he knows he belongs and schaub has the weapons to be a starter for your team. QB is really deep imho.

I also like marshawn lynch a lot this year as he is the offense in buffalo with nothing there to swipe carries from him. I also am high on turner, and selvin this year.

I also think guys like holt, harrison and hines ward can be potential steals at WR. Chambers is another favorite of mine at WR. And shockey at TE, though TE is very deep.
VY fan for life
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 14)

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:14 pm

In my auction keeper league, I'm targeting the Marshall and S Smith. I can get their replacements for 2 games for nothing. I think they're will be a lot of value WRs out there this year.

RBs: Maroney, Ronnie Brown, T Jones. I think these 3 guys can be had fairly cheap with all of the good press for the rookie RBs.

I'm goin' after Witten.

I think Hassellbeck and Cutler will be good value picks.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:34 pm

Great idea for a thread. I like some of the players you've already named, especially Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt. The two are consumate professionals who work extremely hard to perfect their craft. Certainly both are a bit long in the tooth, but should be able to return to form in their respective high-powered offenses. Everything out of Colts camp (and I've watched every day of camp), screams comeback player of the year candidate. The guy looks every bit as sharp as he has in the past and shows no signs of decline. In the great words of Mark Twain:

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

This is not a Colts fan talking, but rather a football fan. Marvin will return to form and post very healthy numbers as a starting fantasy wideout.

Santonio Holmes would have to be on my list of "must haves" at wideout. The spread offense being run in Pittsburgh screams for an emerging star like Holmes to step up his game to the elite level. Did I mention Holmes is in his third season, the breakout campaign for most wideouts? The guy will have a tremendous year. Mark it down. :-)

At TE, I love how people continue to discount Tony Gonzalez because he plays for a team with a weak QB carousel. Does he have upside? No. Does he continue to dominate regardless of age or the talent surrounding him? Yes. Gonzo hauled in nearly 100 catches and posted some of the best numbers ever for a TE in terms of yardage (1,172). How he continues to fall in some of the leagues I've watched is beyond me.

At RB, I love the talk about Thomas Jones, even before Favre arrived. TJ posted solid football numbers considering he played with a very green offensive line that never jelled until late in the year. Adding all-World o-lineman Alan Faneca will help bolster the left side of the trench while fullback Tony Richardson will help open holes for Jones. There's no other goalline presence in New York to steal carries from Jones, so I'll be looking to take him as my #2 or #3 back, gladly.

Laurence Maroney. No back finished the 2007 season quite like Maroney, who posted four 100-yard rushing efforts in his last six games (including postseason) for the Pats. People will be focusing hard on trying to stop Tom Brady and the Patriots blitzkrieg. All those efforts should five Maroney plenty of rushing yards, so long as his attitude doesn't land him in the doghouse. Personally, I think he's going to turn the corner.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Jagator73 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:56 pm

The top of my list is going to sound like Favre hype but I already had them targeted before the trade:

Cotchery
T. Jones
J. Jones
Scheffler (or)
Crumpler
Delhomme

the bottom 4 are late round steals IMO.
Jagator73
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next