Players You "Must Have" This Season... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Players You "Must Have" This Season...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Players You "Must Have" This Season...

Postby dgan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:05 pm

I know this doesn't really contribute to thread - it is a good topic - but I actually try to avoid that attitude these days. When I was younger, I'd play that game of 'how long can I wait and still get this guy?' Too often, my emotions would get the best of me and I would reach too far - or I would lose the player to someone else who was even higher on him than I was, totally bumming me out that I didn't get one of my 'target' players.

So, now what I do is simply move those guys up my draft board with their ADP (or similar value) listed next to them. That way I know that if it comes down to this next group of players on my board, this is the guy I want - but not to take him too early. I try to find that happy medium of getting value based on my projections and where I think most people have him. Really, you should do that with every player. Move the guys you like up your board but still take them at a value compared to your projections. Sometimes you get one, sometimes you don't. But at least that way you're not banking the success of your draft on whether or not you player x in the 8th round.

It guess it is just semantics, but my topic would have been "who do you have ranked higher than most?" And my answer to that question would be Donovan McNabb, Julius Jones, and Chris Chambers.

Oh, you wanted the short answer? :-B
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Players You "Must Have" This Season...

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:26 pm

Obviously I can't get every guy I want every draft, but I do enough drafts and here is a short list of players I 'must have' or do anything I can to get them.

Marion Barber III - This guy has been as consistent as they come in recent years, and has a recipe for success; he has a road grading O-line in front of him, a QB who can sling the ball and weapons around him to keep defenses honest, high scoring offense who will always be in the redzone and a redzone threat, durable and has been healthy his entire year...I have been reaching on him the past two years and I get laughed at every draft, then proceed to reject countless trade offers for Rb's drafted alot higher all year long, once again he is being drafted at the end of RD 1 while at the end of the season he will be a top 5 RB.

Jerricho Cotchery - Underrated is the word that comes to mind when I think of this guy, and he quietly put up a great season last year with 80/1100, and I think he has alot of potential left, I wouldn't of been surprised if he caught 100 balls and this was pre-Favre, so I really think thats a possibility this year...For where he is falling, I love his value, and in PPR leagues I want him on every single one of my teams.

Larry Fitzgerald - If I take a Wr early more then likely I want him, he has posted 100 receptions twice already so you have to love his value in a PPR league but he also has the potential for double digit TD's and 1300 yds each and every year, he also has a good injury slate and he is a hard worker who wants to get better, I don't think he has had his best season yet, and I think no matter who the QB is he will put up top notch numbers.

Chris Johnson - LOVE this guy, have ever since the moment I saw him play at ECU and all of his highlights, he looked like he would be a playmaker at the next level and I'm not surprised reports have been very high on him thus far...He is going to be a jack of all trades and adds a complete different element to that offense, especially since its a situation like Philly in that they will be drawing up alot of passes for Johnson being the primary game breaker, I fully expect him to be drafted higher then Reggie Bush in next years redraft, great value this year and somebody I think owners will be happy they landed.

A few other guys off the top of my head:

P. Crayton - Great ADP for a guy with 70/1000/7 potential
Earnest Graham - He's going late 4th rd, while other unknowns Grant and Turner are going early to mid 2nd, I expect all 3 to be relatively close at seasons end, Graham's value is excellent if you want to wait before taking your 2nd RB.
A. Gonzalez - Have him in dynasties, keepers and redrafts, he is great out of the slot or outside, very smart, runs great routes, match made in heaven for Manning.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Re: Players You

Postby RiffRaff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:39 pm

treat24 wrote:First off, great topic...

It depends on the league type... but in keepers and dynasties I can't avoid JStew. CJ4.24 (chris johnson for Tennesee) i have been reaching for when deeray doesn't snipe him from me. At QB I absolutely love Garrard. I have many more, but meh... I don't have time to post right now.

Actually I think you don't want to give too much away. :-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby spodog » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:05 pm

It depends on the league type... but in keepers and dynasties I can't avoid JStew. CJ4.24 (chris johnson for Tennesee) i have been reaching for when deeray doesn't snipe him from me. At QB I absolutely love Garrard. I have many more, but meh... I don't have time to post right now.

LOL. I don't have time to read this post or respond to it at the moment.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:12 pm

spodog wrote:

I actually read his post, complimented the thread, and listed 3 players of my own... which is 3 more than you or raff combined. What is your problem? Seems more like you are just spamming up the place, not reading posts, and making posts that don't contribute to this thread.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby RiffRaff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:21 pm

treat24 wrote:
spodog wrote:

I actually read his post, complimented the thread, and listed 3 players of my own... which is 3 more than you or raff combined. What is your problem? Seems more like you are just spamming up the place, not reading posts, and making posts that don't contribute to this thread.

You are on to me. :-D Pierre Thomas, Michael Bush and Colston. Don't tell Swipey that I said Colston though. :-b
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Postby treat24 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:30 pm

HAHA! I tricked you raff! Now I'm drafting all those guys in our upcoming live draft! Meachum looked pretty stellar in Colston's stead tonight... might be worth a late flyer if he can get some starts...

Sidney Rice... kid is amazingly talented... just needs a QB.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:38 pm

treat24 wrote:HAHA! I tricked you raff! Now I'm drafting all those guys in our upcoming live draft! Meachum looked pretty stellar in Colston's stead tonight... might be worth a late flyer if he can get some starts...

I think T-Jax takes that step forward this season
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RiffRaff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:48 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
treat24 wrote:HAHA! I tricked you raff! Now I'm drafting all those guys in our upcoming live draft! Meachum looked pretty stellar in Colston's stead tonight... might be worth a late flyer if he can get some starts...

Have you seen over 16 hours of Viking training camp? :-o

It's not pretty. :~(
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:34 am

RiffRaff wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Have you seen over 16 hours of Viking training camp? :-o

It's not pretty. :~(

Nope I haven't :-? , but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night ;-) :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk