Players You "Must Have" This Season... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Players You "Must Have" This Season...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Players You "Must Have" This Season...

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:13 am

i'm not going to overpay to get these guys, but here are some guys i like and hope to land

QB
Ben Roethlisberger - although i am starting to sour on his lack of yardage
Jason Campbell - as my #2 QB...i think he has a shot to put up some numbers just outside the top 10

RB
outside of the top 5 or 6 guys (LT, AP, S-Jax, Addai, Westy, Portis) no one really excites me to a "must have".
Thomas Jones intrigues me but with Favre i think he'll go too high now

WR
Marques Colston - could post top 5 numbers while going a little later than other "top 5" guys. knee has me a little worried
Calvin Johnson - falling for the local hype, but he was hampered by a back injury most of last year
Dwayne Bowe
Arnaz Battle - should be able to be had late, i expect 2006 Mike Furrey/2007 Shaun McDonald type numbers

TE
Chris Cooley - i have a soft spot for him after he won me a title last year
Dustin Keller - possibly overhyped though

K
i will draft one...i always like Shayne Graham for some reason

DEF
Minnesota
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby footballsimp » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:37 am

QB: Hass and Delhomme

RB: Gore, Rudi Johnson (nobody really excites me except for Thomas Jones and everyone mentioned him)

WR: Holt(he is falling in drafts), Harrison, Bryant Johnson

TE: one of the top 4, i see a big decline outside Witten, Gates, Winslow and Gonzo.

K: Whoever is left in the last round.

Def: Whoever is left in the next to last round
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Chicago 2 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:22 pm

Besides the obvious names....

QB:

David Garrard
Jay Cutler
Matt Hasselbeck

RB:

Julius Jones
Brandon Jacobs

WR:

Jericho Cotchery
Calvin Johnson

TE:

Tony Scheffler
Jeremy Shockey
Kevin Boss

K:

Rob Bironas
Mason Crosby

Def:

Tampa Bay
Dallas
Seattle

I always take kickers last two rounds, nothing excites me there this year.

I'm still looking for a sleeper defense, I really like Tampa Bay, they have improved and Dallas has too.

I'd love to grab Hasselbeck, hes going in thte 6-7th rd and is being taken in rds well below his value. Garrard and Cutler both I think will have big years. I definitely will risk taking Favre and or Rodgers as my backup, both have nice weapons on offense and should do well.
Chicago 2
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Re: Players You

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:49 pm

RiffRaff wrote:Don't tell Swipey that I said Colston though. :-b

He knows about your mancrush.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:37 pm

QB - Delhomme - if you are confident his arm is health he will probably turn in a career year, whether he's my backup or some how ends up having to be my starter, I want this guy on my team

RB- no one jumps out at me as "gotta have", of course we love LT and AP, but with so many guys in split/transition/iffy situations I'd advise jumping on 2 full time backs early and then finding the value half of a part time situation with some upside later on (R. Williams, C. Johnson, D. Williams...even Mendenhall and F. Jones will get you some points). But I really think Ricky is going to play a fair share and for going some 5-6 rounds later, he's a great value. I also like those "4th round guys" like Graham, T. Jones, Jacobs. S. Young and Lendale white are starters with value as well at about 2 rounds later. I'm speaking from the perspective of a 10 team league.

WR - Moss - no 23 TDs he won't score but he'll still score more than anyone else. I can grab him in the latter half of the first and find a comparable RB 1 in round 2 to anyone taken after me in Rd 1 and before me in Rd 2

TE - If a top flight TE doesn't fall to me where I want to take him I just wait on Scheffler. He'll be a solid producer with top 5 potential.

K - who cares, you never know who is going to be great

Def - SD and Minny stand out to me like most people both are good D's that play in weak divisions. I'll take one of these in the 9th or 10 possibly. Other than that I target Dallas in the teen rounds.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Pats4four » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:24 pm

Some of the players being mentioned here are players anyone would wish to have like Moss, Gore, Witten etc. but to me, the idea of this thread is to talk about guys outside the top 4 rounds that you can realistically get. I always think that leagues can me won in the middle rounds (5-8) with some intelligent picks and this is what I feel the thread is talking about...

Anyway, the players that I like are:

Cutler; he showed some potential last season and started to look good and get into a rhythm with the receivers. Marshall being suspended hurts his value a bit but he still a guy I'd like to have, especially if I'm taking a QB in the latter rounds.

Delhomme; solid WRs and he was producing top 5 numbers before the injury, no reason to expect a vast difference.

TJ; I was high on him last year as a top RB 3 and he flopped. This year he has a better O-Line and he could well be one of those mediocre to solid RBs who produce great numbers behind a good O-line.

Burleson; a rather recent addition to the list but with injuries to Branch and Engram, Nate becomes the number 1 option in Seattle and Hass is a good enough QB to find him and if your league gives points for return yards he could be huge.

Scheffler; great chemistry with Cutler and the suspension of Marshall only adds to his value.
Pats4four
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby XHendrix » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:49 pm

QB- Donovan Mcnabb He's going way too low with his potential, and I look at his lack of running as a good thing because thats how he always got hurt.

RB- Marshawn Lynch(PPR) his reception skill in college was compared to Reggie Bush in College, and now he'll be in on all third downs.

WR-Braylon Edwards being compared to the likes of Randy Moss and T.O.

TE- Vernon Davis Has huge huge upside if Martz decides to use him.

K- IDK I usually just close my eyes and pick a random kicker

Def- Jacksonville now has pass russers on their D-line
XHendrix
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby MrTwo94 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:05 pm

The only player that I absolutely must have is Andre Johnson. He is going to be the #1 WR this year. I'll take him anywhere I have to in the second round. If I am the #1 pick I will be sad bc that means I might not get him.

I don't have to have anyone else but I agree with a lot of the people here that Thomas Jones is being undervalued from his poor TD production. They made two additions to the OL this year so he should benefit and even if they didn't, he'd score more than 2 TDs this year. While I'm not a fan, Lendale White's value is undeniable.

Kevin Curtis and Nate Burleson make me want to neglect the WR position after I get AJ. I think they will both be solid this year and are coming at a bargain prices.

Bulger will rebound this year with his new OC and healthy line. Cutler will be huge. As a QB2 I like Delhomme, Rodgers, and Leinert. I have to have some sort of combo from the above 5 or I'll consider it a bad draft. Brees will be huge but costs too much and I feel Culter and Bulger won't be far behind.

Sheffler and McMichael are the TEs to target this year. They come so cheap and offer so much upside. Al Saunders knows how to use a TE and McMichael is a top talent even though he receives no hype. He has performed in the top 5 on poor teams. I'm sure he can do it again with Bulger and Saunders. If he ends up as TE8, sue me, you probably picked him with your 15th or 16th pick. Not bad considering where Cooley and other comparable TEs are going.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:25 am

I'm glad to see everyone on Cotchery. Last year, in the first year of my dynasty I took him a little too early (flashbacks to him owning UM in college I think) then refused to trade him and Heath for Moss (preseason). Now Im feeling pretty good about that pair for this year.

I've owned Holt in nearly every draft for years. A couple younger guys with upside always go before him, then flame out while he consistently runs as a top 15 WR, with very few bad weeks. Ive paired him with Welker this year hoping that I will consistently get 25-30 points out of them this year.

I'm a big fan of Jason Campbell this year. In my first redraft (4pt passing TD) I grabbed him and Garcia, both rather late, and am very happy with the pair.

Other guys I like more then most....

B. Jacobs and LenDale - Two guys everyone seems down on, but are still going to wind up in the 15-20 range for RBs, not bad where they are being drafted.

D. Mason - Going at the end of the WR runs, hes going to be the #1 for whoever is the QB there, and Boller, as bad as he is at keeping the ball, can still produce at least one 100 receiver a week. With Heap being an injury question, McGahee having knee surgery, Clayton looking like a bust and Darling in KC Mason has one more good year left in him.

Brandon Jackson- Going undrafted, or very late, and I like him at that value. As one of the few people who drafted Grant last year its not like I dont believe in him, I just think he is due to take a lot of punishment, so I think Jackson is a quality handcuff

Justin Gage - Someone has to be the #1 WR in Tenn. Im not looking for huge numbers, but he should approach 1000 yrd with 6-8 TDs just because someone has to, and hes the best of the bunch. If Young matures into a decent passer (BIG IF) Gage should benefit...

Again, most of these guys are end-of-draft options, since we all know the top sleepers.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deacon » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:24 am

XHendrix wrote:QB- Donovan Mcnabb He's going way too low with his potential, and I look at his lack of running as a good thing because thats how he always got hurt.

RB- Marshawn Lynch(PPR) his reception skill in college was compared to Reggie Bush in College, and now he'll be in on all third downs.

WR-Braylon Edwards being compared to the likes of Randy Moss and T.O.

TE- Vernon Davis Has huge huge upside if Martz decides to use him.

K- IDK I usually just close my eyes and pick a random kicker

Def- Jacksonville now has pass russers on their D-line

Very good list, very similar to players I am targeting. For TE I am also looking to wait and pick up LJ Smith. When he is healthy McNabb looks to him often...I'm really suprised at how low Dallas' D is falling, they will be pretty good this year.
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk