Your method of proposing trades - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Your method of proposing trades

Moderator: Football Moderators

Your method of proposing trades

Postby glackk » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:49 pm

I recently (early last night) proposed a trade involving giving up Jerricho Cotchery. The instant news broke about Favre going to NYJ, the other manager accepted the trade. Talk about bad timing on my part. It's not a terrible trade, but I definitely didn't get my money's worth for giving up Cotchery. :-P

One might say that I should have been aware that Favre would possibly go to the Jets and wait to make the trade proposal. True.

In general, however, how do you propose trades? Do you try to talk to other managers and come to an agreement before making the formal trade proposal in the system? In the public leagues I'm in, I find that this is nearly impossible to do.

Trying to learn from my mistakes here. Any opinions are appreciated.
Thanks! :-)
glackk
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Your method of proposing trades

Postby coolgoose » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:37 am

I just make an offer and bite my nails off until I get a response :-D

Well am a rookie so I am interested to hear some xpert opinions on this as well :) Though I guess 1 way is to drop a league email saying that u r open for trade for a certain position...
CoolGoose
coolgoose
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)

Postby dream_017 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:05 am

I only play in leagues where I know the other owners, so I usually take through it before a formal proposal. However, I have made offers prior to intial contact, but I make sure to monitor the players involved and I don't leave the trade available for very long and never over a weekend of games (possibility of injury).
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

Postby joejlitz » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:31 pm

I like to email the owners in my Yahoo league, since I don't know half of them. I hate putting a trade up and 3-4 days go by without an acceptance/declination. I think communication is the best way to ensure you know what the other guys wants and is willing to give up. It can also prevent insulting offers, since many people try to low ball with their first offer.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:02 pm

All of my leagues involve people that I know, but I don't have any "home" leagues. So I contact the owner by PM or email. I rarely make an offer before talking a little 1st. First, I'll usually ask if the player or players that I'm interested in are even on the block....and I might mention who I have on the block. If the owner shows interest, they might propose a trade in their response. If not, I'll propose something in my 2nd response and just go from there. I play with owners who know what they're doing (for the most part ;-7 :-b ;-) ), so I always try to propose what I think is a fair trade to both owners.

All trade talks are different. I made a few trades in one of my dynasty leagues this offseason. One went like this: I wanted to move up 2 spots in the 1st round of our rookie draft. I PMed the owner and asked if he was interested...and proposed a swap of 1st rounders + I give my 4th rounder. He responded by accepting that trade proposal. The other 2 trades that I made in that league were a lot more involved. Going back & forth with PM's & proposals for a couple of weeks.

I hope that helps a little. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby spodog » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:13 pm

glackk wrote:I recently (early last night) proposed a trade involving giving up Jerricho Cotchery. The instant news broke about Favre going to NYJ, the other manager accepted the trade. Talk about bad timing on my part. It's not a terrible trade, but I definitely didn't get my money's worth for giving up Cotchery. :-P

One might say that I should have been aware that Favre would possibly go to the Jets and wait to make the trade proposal. True.

In general, however, how do you propose trades? Do you try to talk to other managers and come to an agreement before making the formal trade proposal in the system? In the public leagues I'm in, I find that this is nearly impossible to do.

Trying to learn from my mistakes here. Any opinions are appreciated.
Thanks! :-)

Use this odd device to negotiate a trade, and you may end up in that situation less:

spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Beginner's Forum