Best Draft Spot? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Best Draft Spot?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best Draft Spot?

Postby Bengalfang » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:16 pm

I searched for this but I didn't find anything.

What is considered the best draft spot in a 12 man league?

Typical Scoring:
1pt - 10 yds receiving or rushing
6pts - TD receiving or rushing
1 pt - 25 yds passing
4 pts - TD passing.
Bengalfang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best Draft Spot?

Postby coolgoose » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:34 am

Well its a tough one...but give that you have 4pts/TD means RB play the Biggest role !!

I would say 4-5 position wont be bad...u wud still get a top 5 RB...and will have a better spot in round 2 to get a player u want than the guys above you.

Though what are the roster spots in this league ? That also influences it all IMO.
CoolGoose
coolgoose
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)

Postby sobore » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:31 am

I always like the middle positions in any draft. It gives you the ability to grab a super elite player in the first round and plan based on the picks prior to yours. It also gives you a better opportunity in the second round.
sobore
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby joejlitz » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:38 am

I'm hoping for a top-4 pick in order to grab LT, ADP, Westbrook, or Addai. Other than that, I prefer picks around the turn (1, 2, 3, or 10, 11, 12). It is a lot easier to forecast what the other guys are going to pick when there are only 2, 3, or 4 picks before your next pick.
Last edited by joejlitz on Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby dream_017 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:01 am

Anyone can win from any position ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:46 pm

dream_017 wrote:Anyone can win from any position ;-D

;-D

I've always said that the best draft spot is the one you're in. Every draft is awesome in it's own way, and like dream said, anyone can win from any draft position. Noone would play otherwise. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby spodog » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:23 pm

dream_017 wrote:Anyone can win from any position ;-D

Yep. This is true.

See:
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=390921
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mariners100 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:22 pm

I personally like to go in the middle so you can always be in on the trends or runs in positions. I usually set what positions I am taking and normally I am the one that will stay away and break up the run of TEs in round 3 or 4, but its nice to know that you are only a few picks away. I have drafted #1 and last (#10) and I have won leagues in previous years but it tends to be sooooo boring to pick and pick right after and then wait....

Anyone can win at any point... it doesn't matter where you draft its making the best of of each and every pick. The last 2-3 picks won my championship last year. You should pay as much attention to the players that you take in the last 2 rounds that you do in the first 5.
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Ahzzy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:24 am

I find picking somewhere in the middle a bit easier in terms of strategy. When you're at the top or bottom, so many players leave the board before you get to pick again and you may end up having to reach for a few players because so much will be gone before its your turn again.

For example, this season in our 12 team league I picked dead last. I was fortunate that a few good RB had fallen to me so I went RB, RB (frank gore, marshawn lynch) with my first 2 picks. However, by the time it got back to me 22 more players had left the board and the top end of the WR pool was starting to run dry. Based on my cheatsheet Plaxico Burress, Brandon Marshall, Chad Johnson, and Anquan Boldin were the top ones left. Knowing that it would be yet another 22 picks before I went again and that the WR pool would be depleted, I knew I had to take atleast 1 of them now even if I thought it was too early for those players. So I went with Plaxico Burress and used my other pick to take the best player available which ended up being QB Drew Brees. Sure I took a lot of grief for taking them so early but drafting in that position sometimes its what you have to do.

*edit* - 6 pts per passing TD also influenced me to go for Brees with that #37 pick.
Ahzzy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby cakewalk5 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:12 pm

Personal Preference as to where the best draft spot is. In my preference, your roster slots would influence where I wish to pick. If you need 3 WR and 2 RB (no flex), then I would want to be in the bottom third picking in order to go for Moss/RB in the first two rounds.

If you won't know where you pick until the draft, the secret is to prepare a strategy for each general area (e.g., first 4 picks, middle 4 picks, last 4 picks in the first round). Generally you know from mock drafts where people are drafted for the first round.
cakewalk5
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum