Running Back Handcuffs - 2008 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Running Back Handcuffs - 2008

Moderator: Football Moderators

Running Back Handcuffs - 2008

Postby Stelly » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:52 pm

So, what RBs this year do you think have a "required" handcuff (and I'm not talking RBBC situations)?

I'm leary of handcuffs, because I'd like to think my RB3 will outperform most handcuffs. At the same time, there are situations where a handcuff is neccessity.

Aside from AD/C. Taylor, I'm not sure there are any vital handcuffs this year.

Some questionable 'cuffs:

McGahee/Rice
Grant/Jackson

Thoughts?
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Running Back Handcuffs - 2008

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:56 pm

Barber/Jones is a nice handcuff to have...Dallas is a strong offense already, Jones wouldn't have to play spectacularly to still put up stats if Barber ever went down.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:02 pm

I still think Portis/Betts is a necessary handcuff, just because we have seen Betts produce at a high level before.

Other ones off the top of my head:

Addai/Rhodes-Rhodes has already had success and that offense is explosive enough to create points for any runner.

Turner/Norwood-Turner looks to get the lion's share of the work, but Norwood has shown explosiveness in short work and would be in line for a decent number of touches should Turner go down.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:03 pm

i usually only handcuff when i feel that i would get equal (or close to equal) production if the starter goes down...otherwise i'll just draft other peoples handcuffs }:-)

Definate
AP/Chester as you mentioned is a definate
Portis/Betts - i would still go for this one

Good Choice
MBIII/Felix Jones - could be worth it, although Felix may go too high for a handcuff
Ronnie Brown/Rickey Williams - :-?
Rudi/Kenny Watson - maybe
Parker/Mendenhall - same as Dallas situation
Stewart/Deangleo - same as Dallas again
McGahee/Rice - bad knees?

Questionable
LT/??? - such a high investment but probably not a great option if LT does go down
Westy/??? - hard to tell who the clear cut handcuff is
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:15 pm

Put me in the camp of not believing in drafting handcuffs. I think you should always draft for production and only in deep leagues worry about taking your RBs backup.

Having said that, these are the guys who I would consider as late round handcuffs:

Jerious Norwood: I fully expect Michael Turner to be a top 10 guy this year. But Norwood will still get the touches to make him a good value late in the draft and if Turner has problems getting a full load he could break down at the end of the season during crunch time. Norwood will be a steal if this happens.

Tim Hightower: I don't think anybody that drafts Edge and *depends* on him to be a stable starter can do without drafting Hightower. I've read reports that expect him to share carries with Edge anyway. Be ahead of your league and grab this guy if you can.

Lorenzo Booker: I'm all but guarantying that he'd be the guy if Westbrook were to suffer a season ending injury. Sure, Buckhalter would be in the mix too, but I think the Eagles see Booker as the long term answer to an aging Westbrook.

Kevin Jones: I think most people see Forte as being the long term answer in Chicago. If Jones gets back to 100% health he's going to beat Forte out of a job without any question. And Lovie Smith isn't anywhere as loyal to his starters as people seem to think.

Fred Jackson: He did produce when Lynch was out last year and he can do it again.

Kolby Smith: I'll believe Larry Johnson is fully healthy when I see him put in another full season. Until then, I'm going to think he's been run into the ground and could be nicked up for the rest of his career.

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:24 pm

This thread might assist you a bit...

viewtopic.php?t=389839
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moose_ffc » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:49 pm

biju wrote:Lorenzo Booker: I'm all but guarantying that he'd be the guy if Westbrook were to suffer a season ending injury. Sure, Buckhalter would be in the mix too, but I think the Eagles see Booker as the long term answer to an aging Westbrook.

DING DING DING ... We have a winner!

I could not agree more about Booker.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jazzmanljg » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:27 pm

biju wrote:
Kolby Smith: I'll believe Larry Johnson is fully healthy when I see him put in another full season. Until then, I'm going to think he's been run into the ground and could be nicked up for the rest of his career.

;-D

I don't disagree with the concern about Johnson, but all the buzz out of camp is about how impressed everyone is with J. Charles. I would guess that if Johnson does go down it will be about a 50/50 split between Smith and Charles which would make both of them questionable to roster.
thanks to soty for the great sig!
jazzmanljg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:27 pm

AP/Chester Taylor
Portis/Betts (maybe not, but I could see it)
Barber/Jones
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:02 am

I don't really handcuff, I just grab the best available backup RBs (or the ones I think are most likely to see major time).

I think Mendenhall is a smart grab, with Parker coming off a leg injury. I probably look at D. Williams in Carolina, since Stewart is a rookie and hes had some success before. Norwood in ATL, Rice in Baltimore (mcgahee injury questions), whoever emerges as the #2 in seattle.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk