Running Back Handcuffs - 2008 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Running Back Handcuffs - 2008

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Running Back Handcuffs - 2008

Postby biju » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:53 am

jazzmanljg wrote:
biju wrote:
Kolby Smith: I'll believe Larry Johnson is fully healthy when I see him put in another full season. Until then, I'm going to think he's been run into the ground and could be nicked up for the rest of his career.

;-D

I don't disagree with the concern about Johnson, but all the buzz out of camp is about how impressed everyone is with J. Charles. I would guess that if Johnson does go down it will be about a 50/50 split between Smith and Charles which would make both of them questionable to roster.

This is totally plausible. But given that Charles is a rook and that Kolby outweighs him by 20 pounds and has the experience, I'm guessing Smith would get the goal line carries while Jamaal would be the change of pace back. Just a hunch, but I would gamble that way...

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wenchtamer » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:23 am

Two situations I consider must-cuff when drafting..

Jacobs/Bradshaw
Green/Brown

And in light of recent events I will add Jones/Washington to this list
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby ssarmstro » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:17 am

[quote="jazzmanljg"][quote="biju"]

[b]Kolby Smith[/b]: I'll believe Larry Johnson is fully healthy when I see him put in another full season. Until then, I'm going to think he's been run into the ground and could be nicked up for the rest of his career.

;-D[/quote]

I don't disagree with the concern about Johnson, but all the buzz out of camp is about how impressed everyone is with J. Charles. I would guess that if Johnson does go down it will be about a 50/50 split between Smith and Charles which would make both of them questionable to roster.[/quote]

I disagree I hear Jackie battle is 2nd in line if LJ were to go down.(Not DEPTH CHART) Charles would keep the same role as a change of pace.
ssarmstro
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby benb18a » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:53 am

Wenchtamer wrote:Two situations I consider must-cuff when drafting..

Jacobs/Bradshaw

x2. In fact, I drafted Bradshaw behind Jacobs in both leagues that I have Jacobs in. If and when he goes down, I'll still get some decent production, instead of having to put a backup from another team in there. It only makes sense to handcuff certain players.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby jazzmanljg » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:57 am

ssarmstro wrote:
jazzmanljg wrote:
biju wrote:
Kolby Smith: I'll believe Larry Johnson is fully healthy when I see him put in another full season. Until then, I'm going to think he's been run into the ground and could be nicked up for the rest of his career.

;-D

I don't disagree with the concern about Johnson, but all the buzz out of camp is about how impressed everyone is with J. Charles. I would guess that if Johnson does go down it will be about a 50/50 split between Smith and Charles which would make both of them questionable to roster.

I disagree I hear Jackie battle is 2nd in line if LJ were to go down.(Not DEPTH CHART) Charles would keep the same role as a change of pace.

My understanding is that Battle is only running in that position because Smith has been hurt. With them adding a fullback there is no way they roster more then 3 HB, and I would be shocked if they left Smith off the roster after how he performed when LJ was out last year. I thought Dontrelle Savage looked better then Battle vs Chicago. The only thing Battle has going for him is his size.
thanks to soty for the great sig!
jazzmanljg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby peterparker » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:26 pm

AD-CTaylor is the #1 handcuff priority, solely for insurance on a #1-2 draft pick. Obviously it is not 100% that AD will get injured but the chance is there and CT is able and waiting. I am surprised how often I have seen either an expert or mock draft where the person with AD does not take CT when all he requires is a 7th-8th round pick.

Stewart-Deangelo. Stewart is another guy people are drafting really high as an RB2 when he is not even the definite starter. I have been targeting Deangelo thinking he will be the starter the first few weeks due to Stewart's toe injury; Deangelo could then be trade bait for a worried Stewart owner.

Ronnie Brown-Ricky Williams. I think one will be injured and the other will do 1500+yds and 7-10TDs. Who knows which will be which, but a 9-10th round pick for Williams is easy to manage for a Brown owner. Similar to the Stewart-Deangelo situation above I think Williams will start strong as Brown struggles with confidence about his knee; Williams would then be good trade bait for the Brown owner.
peterparker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Stelly » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:51 pm

benb18a wrote:
Wenchtamer wrote:Two situations I consider must-cuff when drafting..

Jacobs/Bradshaw

x2. In fact, I drafted Bradshaw behind Jacobs in both leagues that I have Jacobs in. If and when he goes down, I'll still get some decent production, instead of having to put a backup from another team in there. It only makes sense to handcuff certain players.

So you drafted Bradshaw as the handcuff, not Ward? Seemed like Ward filled in for Jacobs last season, while Bradshaw's role stayed the same.

Wouldn't you rather have Ward?
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:00 pm

ideal cuffs:

portis/ betts
mcgahee/ rice
jstew/ deangelo williams
fred taylor/ mjd
gore/foster
ADP/ taylor

the reason i target these cuffs is because i believe each of the cuffs can put up numbers worthy of a start on a fantasy roster.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GoCardZ » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:44 pm

what do you guys think about pierre thomas if you have reginald bush?
GoCardZ
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Ek » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:24 pm

GoCardZ wrote:what do you guys think about pierre thomas if you have reginald bush?

Not unless there is more bad news about Deuce. With Deuce playing, you're essentially waiting for two injuries before PT is worth much. And even if he does get drafted, there's a decent chance he'll show up on waivers again if those two are in for the first 3-4 weeks.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk