Running Back Handcuffs - 2008 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Running Back Handcuffs - 2008

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Running Back Handcuffs - 2008

Postby Amazinz » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:55 pm

Stelly wrote:So you drafted Bradshaw as the handcuff, not Ward? Seemed like Ward filled in for Jacobs last season, while Bradshaw's role stayed the same.

Wouldn't you rather have Ward?

That was earlier in the season before Bradshaw started to become "established". Jacobs is the clear win because he'll get the goal line carries (presumably) but it certainly looks like Bradshaw will be getting an equal share of the carries. Out of interest, the Giants have also been practicing with a set that includes both Jacobs and Bradshaw. Another issue is Ward's health. He's already had his knee checked this camp for a new issue and he's ended up on IR three of the four years he's been in the league.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:52 am

deluxe_247 wrote:ideal cuffs:

portis/ betts
mcgahee/ rice
jstew/ deangelo williams
fred taylor/ mjd
gore/foster
ADP/ taylor

the reason i target these cuffs is because i believe each of the cuffs can put up numbers worthy of a start on a fantasy roster.

I really don't see Taylor/MJD as a cuff situation considering both are legit RB2s.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby onnestabe » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:14 am

A couple of predictions about teams that I keep closer track of than the rest of the league:

Houston - You have to figure out the starter before you figure out the handcuff (not really a true handcuff here, anyway). I think Brown is the starter, and Green will figure into the mix somehow if he can get healthy (don't count on it). At the moment, it looks like Chris Taylor is the next in line for touches when Brown gets hurt, but he is battling Steve Slaton for that gig, who has looked good in preseason (not just running, but also in pass protection). In the drafts I am in, Taylor has been undrafted, and Slaton has been a late round guy. I am avoiding Green at all costs. He won't start the season off healthy, and will probably be available on the WW if he ever gets healthy enough to play a major role.

New Orleans - The plan is for Deuce and Bush to be in a timeshare to start the season, this everyone knows. I think the best backup RB to have in New Orleans is Aaron Stecker. He is a more than capable receiver out of the backfield, so he would be in line for third down reps if Bush gets hurt, and he is better running between the tackles and at the goal line than Bush, so he would get the premium touches if Deuce goes down. I like Pierre Thomas but he is still 4th on the depth chart behind Stecker. Now, this could all change depending on what Thomas shows as the season progresses. It's hard to get news regarding what Thomas isn't doing right because everyone in Saints Nation loves the kid and won't say much of anything bad about him. If it's a dynasty league, go for Thomas, if it's a redraft or shallow keeper, I would stay with Stecker and just keep an eye on the situation. Stecker has been largley undrafted as well, while Pierre Thomas' hype machine (of which I have been a part of in the past) has driven his value up to a late-rounder.

For both of these situations, I think that while all these backups are draftable in most leagues, I don't think there's more value there for the owners of the starting RBs that they are backing up, if that makes sense. These guys have value because they are good players and they play behind guys with injury histories, but it's so hard to predict who the handcuff is and how they will fiure into the offense that you run the risk of drafting the wrong guy to handcuff your starter. Kubiak will go with the hot hand, so you've got a job figuring out who that will be every week. If Deuce or Reggie go down, Payton could very easily change his play-calling to put it all on Brees, who is capable of throwing the ball every single play if asked to.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:11 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:ideal cuffs:

portis/ betts
mcgahee/ rice
jstew/ deangelo williams
fred taylor/ mjd
gore/foster
ADP/ taylor

the reason i target these cuffs is because i believe each of the cuffs can put up numbers worthy of a start on a fantasy roster.

I really don't see Taylor/MJD as a cuff situation considering both are legit RB2s.

depends on what you consider a legit #2 i guess. taylor is ranked in the middle of all the other cuffs i mentioned, and i have him ranked just after 30 in RBs comparatively. if i take mjd early, id feel a lot more comfortable grabbing fred a handful of rounds later because i feel like he would be a successful back (even moreso)if mjd went down. chester taylor could fall into the same category as he put up over 1000 yards last season also, which was worthy of #2 RB slots....and deangelo and jstew could be a RBBC. when i name someone a "cuff", it means to me that its a guy that i can get later that is a good security blanket for my earlier round pick, whether it be a RBBC or not, and a guy that can produce simliar or even better numbers to the earlier pick if given the fulltime gig.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ablack86 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:17 am

I have a lot of theory's on this...... IMO If you're going to pickup backups WHYNOT handcuff your players? What good does Kolby Smith do you if you already have 3 healthy NON LJ_backs??? Not alot... maybe some trade bait. If you do have LJ... well you now have 3 healthy backs again if he goes down. I also think there is nothing wrong with reaching early for your handcuffs, depending on who you are handcuffing of course. I think reaching to handcuff guys like AP and MB3 can be way to far of a stretch. But if your an LT owner and don't draft Hester or Sproles then you are an explicitive. Another thing that definitely should be considered when handcuffing and of course drafting a player in the first player is there current health status and there priors. Drafting a guy like Ronnie Brown pretty much forces you to handcuff him and handcuff him early. I think you will find the average draft position of Ricky Williams to be quite high.

When I draft I think long and hard about what it will cost me to handcuff a certain player. I will not pass up a large amount of value just because one player is easier to cuff, but if I'm looking at guys with equal value (Like a Portis / Addai) I will draft the player that will in the end be easier to handcuff. Instead of wasting a top 10 pick on Betts, I can draft another wideout or something else that makes my team better.

My 2cents.

I'd like to hear what other people think and how they approach this.
Ablack86
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:32 pm

Ablack86 wrote:I have a lot of theory's on this...... IMO If you're going to pickup backups WHYNOT handcuff your players? What good does Kolby Smith do you if you already have 3 healthy NON LJ_backs??? Not alot... maybe some trade bait. If you do have LJ... well you now have 3 healthy backs again if he goes down. I also think there is nothing wrong with reaching early for your handcuffs, depending on who you are handcuffing of course. I think reaching to handcuff guys like AP and MB3 can be way to far of a stretch. But if your an LT owner and don't draft Hester or Sproles then you are an explicitive. Another thing that definitely should be considered when handcuffing and of course drafting a player in the first player is there current health status and there priors. Drafting a guy like Ronnie Brown pretty much forces you to handcuff him and handcuff him early. I think you will find the average draft position of Ricky Williams to be quite high.
When I draft I think long and hard about what it will cost me to handcuff a certain player. I will not pass up a large amount of value just because one player is easier to cuff, but if I'm looking at guys with equal value (Like a Portis / Addai) I will draft the player that will in the end be easier to handcuff. Instead of wasting a top 10 pick on Betts, I can draft another wideout or something else that makes my team better.

My 2cents.

This is a very interesting point of view. The part in bold really made me think a little....

However, I would say that there are two parts to the fantasy football season. The first part is the part where I simply accrue value for the most part (up until week 9 or 10 or so...). When I'm "accruing value", I generally don't look to handcuff my best RB. If I "fall into" the handcuff, I'll take him, but I take the best player avaliable generally regardless to team need and the players I've already taken (for the most part; there are always exceptions of course). My theory here is that there are a good number of players who "break out" each year, and the first 7-8 weeks will show these players. The waiver wire will make the entire league's rosters look very different from the beginning of the season. Once I get to week 9 or 10 (a week or two before the trading deadline), I start looking to fill needs. When I'm "filling a need", I'll start looking to handcuff my top RB, as I start to follow a little bit in line with your strategy. The nice thing here is that, if your starter doesn't get injured by this point, you can go ahead and get the handcuff a lot cheaper than you could at the draft. If your starter does get hurt, then hopefully you are very active on the waiver wire and get lucky enough to snag the Ryan Grant or Earnest Graham of the year....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:53 pm

Ablack86 wrote:I have a lot of theory's on this...... IMO If you're going to pickup backups WHYNOT handcuff your players? What good does Kolby Smith do you if you already have 3 healthy NON LJ_backs??? Not alot... maybe some trade bait. If you do have LJ... well you now have 3 healthy backs again if he goes down. I also think there is nothing wrong with reaching early for your handcuffs, depending on who you are handcuffing of course. I think reaching to handcuff guys like AP and MB3 can be way to far of a stretch. But if your an LT owner and don't draft Hester or Sproles then you are an explicitive. Another thing that definitely should be considered when handcuffing and of course drafting a player in the first player is there current health status and there priors. Drafting a guy like Ronnie Brown pretty much forces you to handcuff him and handcuff him early. I think you will find the average draft position of Ricky Williams to be quite high.

My 2cents.

There seems to be some confusion here, at least as I read it. You suggest only cuffing your own RB, so that if your starter suffers an injury, you have the handcuff (Duh). However, then you call somebody an expletive if they fail to do so, under (and here's where I'm making the jump) the presumption that somebody else will draft your handcuff; such as in your Sproles/Hester example for LT.

Of course everything depends on league/roster depth, and how you utilize your bench, but it would seem to me that it may be more beneficial to grab a guy like Sproles, even if you don't have Tomlinson, over handcuffing your own player; provided Sproles projects to have more overall value. This is a strategy that I think could be used, if your first point about having enough healthy RB even with an injury, is satisfied. An example of this would be something like leaving Marshawn Lynch unhandcuffed and drafting a player like Felix Jones, even if you don't have MB3, instead.

Is this a crazy line of thinking? I'm only a so so fantasy football player in terms of strategy, despite being a huge NCAA/NFL fan and knowing the players well.
Last edited by bigh0rt on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Wenchtamer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:15 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Marshawn Lunch

tee hee
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:29 pm

Wenchtamer wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Marshawn Lunch

tee hee

No idea what you're talking about O:-)
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Ablack86 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:36 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

My 2cents.

There seems to be some confusion here, at least as I read it. You suggest only cuffing your own RB, so that if your starter suffers an injury, you have the handcuff (Duh). However, then you call somebody an expletive if they fail to do so, under (and here's where I'm making the jump) the presumption that somebody else will draft your handcuff; such as in your Sproles/Hester example for LT.

Of course everything depends on league/roster depth, and how you utilize your bench, but it would seem to me that it may be more beneficial to grab a guy like Sproles, even if you don't have Tomlinson, over handcuffing your own player; provided Sproles projects to have more overall value. This is a strategy that I think could be used, if your first point about having enough healthy RB even with an injury, is satisfied. An example of this would be something like leaving Marshawn Lunch unhandcuffed and drafting a player like Felix Jones, even if you don't have MB3, instead.

Is this a crazy line of thinking? I'm only a so so fantasy football player in terms of strategy, despite being a huge NCAA/NFL fan and knowing the players well.

Not crazy at all. Depending on how many bench spots a league has, you can do both as well. I drafted in a draft Saturday and was able to handcuff all of my backs AND grab Hester with my final pick. This is the reason I used that as an example. Why wouldn't the LT owner grab either Sproles or Hester....

Also if you only do what you have suggested, you are basically entering a crapshoot of which back will break a leg or which back will steal a job. When handcuffing your player, it makes this much more ABC. Your back goes down, you have a replacement.

I am by NO means saying do not grab other players handcuffs, but I am saying it will be far more valuable to reach for yours first.
Ablack86
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk