Could use a little advice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Could use a little advice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Could use a little advice

Postby Polar Bear » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Does anyone have someone at work that feels as if it is there job to interrupt your day and tell you about everything going on with their life?

I have a woman like that at my office and she has been driving me crazy the past couple weeks. She had been gone on maternity leave for the past couple months so I had forgotten what it was like to have her around the office. It has made it much more difficult to get things done and this woman just doesn't get it. I have told her that I am working, yet she continues to interrupt.

Today, just 15 minutes ago she walks in and informs me that her 2 year old child's father called her a brat. I told her that I was busy and couldn't talk and she said okay and walked away and then was back 2 minutes later telling me that her newborn son blinked or whatever the hell a newborn does that is news worthy. I just ignored her and didn't even speak or acknowledge her existence. You would think that jerk move would be enough for her to get the point, but she rattled on for another minute until I just told her to leave.

I can't understand a person that needs this type of attention or is so arrogant as to think that people really sit on the edgeof their seat waiting to hear this information.

Anyone ever had to deal with this sort of thing? If so, what is the best way to go about it. I have done everything I know to do. I have spoken with her one on one about this and it worked for about 2 days. If something doesn't happen the only thing I know to do is to purposely offend her so that she will stop coming in. I really don't want to do that, but I really could careless at this point.

Oh I should probably add that I am not the only one in the office that experiences this.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Could use a little advice

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:15 pm

Don't offend, remember you are a "man" in this situation and things can get reversed real quick on you and you will have a tougher time reversing it back.

Play the silent treatment for a couple of days straight and see what that does. Not totally silent though, always acknowledge her and inform her you are busy.

Most importantly, keep a log of each days events so you have recourse if she actually tries something. :-?
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:20 pm

We have a secretary that does this and it's extremely annoying. What I've done is actually create dialogue. I greatly differ in lifestyle choices with her so when she asks what I think of this or that and it's not what she wants to hear (which is what this woman is looking for I presume) then it's not as fun to talk to me anymore. She avoids me now for the most part. She wants you to empathize with her. As soon as you hear something that you can disagree with you should jump on it. She'll begin to leave you alone as soon as she realizes you're not the empathizing ear she wanted you to be.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:22 pm

is her name heather? nah, heather was too unattractive to have gotten pregnant... but it sure sounds like the same person I used to work with. After growing tired enough of it, I would just let her talk to my back without responding. since I never gave her any sympathy she eventually went elsewhere looking for it. You may want to privately speak with your boss or an HR representative about it, so if it does blow up, it'll be on record that you've brought it up to them already. Also doesn't hurt to keep records of things so that you can display a history of it if it does blow up. Good luck.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:05 pm

You know, we have a guy around here who's in this line of work. Not the employee relations thing, the mindless chatter thing...oh, I mean the other way around. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:16 pm

In a very loud voice, just yell...

SHUT THE (****) UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-D
just kidding
PS... (****) means 'heck'... really! ;-)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby VaderFin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Here is your solution and it won't get you in trouble. Talk about sports the moment she walks in and don't stop. Hit her with endless Brett Favre, Notre Dame, Duke Hoops blather and she will start to avoid you like the plague. ;-D
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby quack quack » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:00 pm

I have a guy like this on my team at school and we learned to just not acknowledge him. After a while the little comments get less and less ;-D
quack quack
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:03 pm

VaderFin wrote:Here is your solution and it won't get you in trouble. Talk about sports the moment she walks in and don't stop. Hit her with endless Brett Favre, Notre Dame, Duke Hoops blather and she will start to avoid you like the plague. ;-D

Brilliant !! ;-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:49 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Here is your solution and it won't get you in trouble. Talk about sports the moment she walks in and don't stop. Hit her with endless Brett Favre, Notre Dame, Duke Hoops blather and she will start to avoid you like the plague. ;-D

Brilliant !! ;-D

except when she does know a thing or two. well then, maybe that's a good thing too. :-?
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Next

Return to General Talk