Could use a little advice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Could use a little advice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Could use a little advice

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:58 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Here is your solution and it won't get you in trouble. Talk about sports the moment she walks in and don't stop. Hit her with endless Brett Favre, Notre Dame, Duke Hoops blather and she will start to avoid you like the plague. ;-D

Brilliant !! ;-D

except when she does know a thing or two. well then, maybe that's a good thing too. :-?

At least he'd be talking sports instead of sniffles. ;-) (although with Favre, it could be both)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guru13 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:23 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:
Brilliant !! ;-D

except when she does know a thing or two. well then, maybe that's a good thing too. :-?

At least he'd be talking sports instead of sniffles. ;-) (although with Favre, it could be both)

oooooooohhhhhh...(snare) - (bass) - (cymbal)
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Polar Bear » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:31 pm

VaderFin wrote:Here is your solution and it won't get you in trouble. Talk about sports the moment she walks in and don't stop. Hit her with endless Brett Favre, Notre Dame, Duke Hoops blather and she will start to avoid you like the plague. ;-D

thanks for all the advice.

This actually worked...at least so far. I am still testing it out. It has only been two days.

She walked in and told me about her baby squirting poop all over his diaper and I launched into an aggressive rant about how overrated Frank Gore is in fantasy football. She looked at me confused and the conversation was over in less than a minute. Later that day she ventured back into my office to tell me something pointless and I continued the Frank Gore speech. Today I went with Steve Young vs. Aaron Rodgers: Following a legend.

She still hasn't stopped walking into my office, but I am beating her to the punch about telling her something pointless that she doesn't care about. The conversations have been much shorter. I am hoping that over the course of 2 weeks she will get sick of me ranting about sports and just avoid my office or stick with a Hi.

Seriously if it was just once a day I probably wouldn't care, but 3 or 4 times a day wears on me.

Thanks for the tip Vaderfin.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:51 pm

That's hilarious PB. :-b

You'll have to begin keeping que cards so you don't recycle topics and give yourself up.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:50 am

Polar Bear wrote:Thanks for the tip Vaderfin.

That's great! Vaderfin is a genious. ;-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Guru13 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:08 am

Polar Bear wrote:

an aggressive rant about how overrated Frank Gore is in fantasy football.

hey now, if you're gonna rant endlessly about Sports atleast get your information straight. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Polar Bear » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:That's hilarious PB. :-b

You'll have to begin keeping que cards so you don't recycle topics and give yourself up.

That's not a bad idea either. Everyone here is a genius. I should have came here last year when I was having problems with her.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:29 am

Polar Bear wrote:Everyone here is a genius.

Nah, just us here in GT. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:06 pm

Sports works, but it stops working. I work at a place with 30 women, like five guys. You have to mix it up. Sports, standing up saying, "sorry, I really have to go" and go to the bathroom, grabbing papers, and bluntly saying "that sounds interesting, but I really need to do x, y, z.

I also have a woman who seems to be immune to that, so one time I just said "oh what a lovely story about your kids. Actually, the most interesting thing happened to ME the other day." Then make sure it is a dry story with no point. That takes care of it usually. If not the first time, definitely after that. People like that don't like listening.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Polar Bear » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:56 pm

eaglesrule wrote:Sports works, but it stops working. I work at a place with 30 women, like five guys. You have to mix it up. Sports, standing up saying, "sorry, I really have to go" and go to the bathroom, grabbing papers, and bluntly saying "that sounds interesting, but I really need to do x, y, z.

I also have a woman who seems to be immune to that, so one time I just said "oh what a lovely story about your kids. Actually, the most interesting thing happened to ME the other day." Then make sure it is a dry story with no point. That takes care of it usually. If not the first time, definitely after that. People like that don't like listening.

The problem with this girl is that she can talk about almost anything, except for sports. Everything ALWAYS comes back to her in some way. But sports, seems to be her kryptonite. When I read the advice it hit me that I had never heard her speak about sports, in fact I can remember in one of her marathon speeches that she said she hated sports.

Today she walked into my room and began to spew nonsense about how tired she was. She caught me on the phone. I told her I was busy and she just stood there...waiting. But I was ready once I hung up and tore off into the Paul Byrd to the Red Sox trade. I almost talked about Michael Phelps but I was worried that the Olympics would be too general and she would be interested. So I went with the Paul Byrd trade and how I hope the Sox just give up cash and not a prospect. She was out of my office in 3 minutes. Later that day she came back in and I talked about Gio Gonzalez start against the Rays last night.

This is what I have learned, you have got to keep it obscure. The Bret Favre topic kind of created some feedback which worried me because she thought he was sweet when he shaved his head. But obscure sports topics really get her out of my face quickly.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk