Lendale White v. Marshawn Lynch - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lendale White v. Marshawn Lynch

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lendale White v. Marshawn Lynch

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:43 pm

Can someone explain to me why Marshawn Lynch is being drafted in Round 1 and Lendale White is being drafted in Rounds 5 and 6?

Let's look at their stats from last year...

White - 304 attempts, 1108 yards, 7 TD's, 114 receiving yards, 0 TD's
Lynch - 280 attempts, 1115 yards, 7 TD's, 184 receiving yards, 0 TD's

Not much as changed in either offense except the Titans lost OG Jacob Bell but replaced him with OG Jake Scott which is probably a wash.

I just don't get it. Is it because White took so long to finally get going? Do people feel his size will make him an injury risk? Keep in mind that White put those numbers up last year with horrible play at QB and with a torn ligament in his knee. Imagine what he could do if Vince Young stepped up and he was healthy all year?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Lynch is bad or that Lynch won't finish higher. I just don't think White's getting the due he deserves.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Lendale White v. Marshawn Lynch

Postby brett5673 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:52 pm

bagobonez wrote:Can someone explain to me why Marshawn Lynch is being drafted in Round 1 and Lendale White is being drafted in Rounds 5 and 6?

Let's look at their stats from last year...

White - 304 attempts, 1108 yards, 7 TD's, 114 receiving yards, 0 TD's
Lynch - 280 attempts, 1115 yards, 7 TD's, 184 receiving yards, 0 TD's

Not much as changed in either offense except the Titans lost OG Jacob Bell but replaced him with OG Jake Scott which is probably a wash.

I just don't get it. Is it because White took so long to finally get going? Do people feel his size will make him an injury risk? Keep in mind that White put those numbers up last year with horrible play at QB and with a torn ligament in his knee. Imagine what he could do if Vince Young stepped up and he was healthy all year?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Lynch is bad or that Lynch won't finish higher. I just don't think White's getting the due he deserves.

I think Lynchs ceiling is much higher, but you bring up a great point, if youre looking for value go for him. The problem is that Titans have a super shaky passing game, i know buffalos isnt much better, but that and his injuries make people a little wishy washy. I think Lynch could be like Addai last year. If you want value pick up White And chris Johnson in lower rounds instead of just Lynch much higher
Welcome to Minnesota, Lord Brett
brett5673
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:57 pm

I can think of a few things that people may like about Lynch over White.

Lynch missed 3 games last year so that affects his stat total. They both were injured but Lynch missing time hurts his final numbers more since he wasn't even in those games. Some threat that Chris Johnson could steal carries/time from Lendale, while Lynch is projected to be the workhorse for the Bills. Lynch was also on a pretty bad offense, both offenses should improve at least a little this year. Watching both of them play, Lynch just flat out runs harder

Though I also agree Lendale is being underrated...I feel he will be a good enough to be an everyweek RB2 yet he's ending up on most teams as a RB3.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brett5673 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:02 pm

one thing to point out about Chris Johnson stealing carries is Johnson and White are about as opposite of backs as they get. i can not imagine that Johnson would get one look near the Goal line. This is sorta the same with RB1 type guy Marion Barber. he might lose a little bit of stock due to Felix Jones, people feel hell steal carries. Get Real though. Barber is THE TOUGHEST runner in football. i can not imagine Felix Jones getting many looks in the red zone, so i feel Barber will have a great year as well
brett5673
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:01 pm

This thread does a pretty good job of pointing out that Lendale is fairly underrated. However, there are several large differences that should keep him far from Marshawn.

1. As was mentioned, Lynch's stats came in fewer games. This really negates a big part of the original point of comparing their stats. Lendale had better stats then Steven Jackson, why not make a case that Lendale should be a top 3 overall pick? Because Sjax missed time. As did Lynch.

2. Tennessee drafted a RB in the 1st round. This is pretty self-explanatory. Lynch is one of the few guys left in the NFL that are likely to get a huge majority of the carries.

3. Upside. Not only does Lynch have more of it as a pure runner in most people's opinion, but also there's the fact that Lynch is a VERY good receiver. He was not used as such last year, but what people don't realize is that Marshawn Lynch's college stats mirror Reggie Bush's almost EXACTLY. He was that good of a receiver. If he starts playing a big role in the passing game then that is a HUGE difference. I think it's pretty safe to say that Lendale has no chance of ever being a bigtime player in the passing game, and with the drafting of Chris Johnson he probably won't even be in the game in passing situations.

4. The entire Tennessee team overachieved last year. Seriously, they were 10-6....with who? This is a team that I see taking a huge step backwards next year, whereas most people feel Buffalo is on the rise.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:12 pm

I think Lynch definately deserves to be drafted before Lendale but not by as much as you would think. I just grabbed Lendale as my number 2 and feel very comfy with him in the 4th.

As for losing carries...it appears that most don't realize that Lendale was losing carries last year.

Lets look at the carries lost in each of the 16 games (not including Vince Youong's carries)
1 19
2 12
3 11
4 10
5 5 Brown got hurt
6 11
7 4
8 3
9 3
10 4
11 8
12 11
13 5
14 5
15 5
16 7

White: 303
Team: 543
Total: 240 lost (93 to Vince young)

I just don't see 200 lb Chris Johnson playing any more of a role than brown did last year. Great value in the 4th in my opinion.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby peterparker » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:22 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:Though I also agree Lendale is being underrated...I feel he will be a good enough to be an everyweek RB2 yet he's ending up on most teams as a RB3.

Yep, I picked him 10.10 last year and he finished as the #15 RB in my league. I have seen him go anywhere from the 5th round to the 9th in 10 team leagues; I would be more than happy to take him close to the 9th. He is a great RB2/3.

That said, statistics do lie, as others pointed out. Lynch, with his physicality, receiving skills, overall team situation, schedule, and lack of anyone to steal many carries, is in a much better situation. I would say Lynch is a top second tier RB with potential to improve whereas Lendale is low 2nd-high 3rd tier without much room for improvement; however, Lendale is still a good investment for an RB2/3.
peterparker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby treat24 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:34 pm

I may be jumping in late, haven't read the thread but it should be noted Lynch put up those stats missing like 3 games and playing almost ZERO 3rd downs. If he's on the field for all 3 downs this year and plays the whole year, he should put up much better numbers. Pair that with how good of a back I think Chris Johnson is and it's a very large difference. I completely agree that Lendale is being underrated at the moment. I don't think Lynch is being overrated however.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Azrael » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:53 pm

I thought I read Lynch was supposed to be taking 3rd downs as well.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby brett5673 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:55 pm

Yes Lynch is(and why not?) :-)
brett5673
Defensive Assistant