Any thoughts from the preseason games so far...... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Any thoughts from the preseason games so far......

Moderator: Football Moderators

Any thoughts from the preseason games so far......

Postby fx495232 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:17 pm

Just wondering if anyone had any observations from the first games of the preseason.........
fx495232
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Any thoughts from the preseason games so far......

Postby Crackajg » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Oh, I got lots. Let's see...

Troy Smith threw two passes that made me giddy. I think he's going to be the starter this year and until the Ravens decide Joey Flacco is ready. Kyle Boller had a decent first game but threw an interception into what looked like triple coverage. Vintage Boller. He's done.

As much as I've made fun of the Falcons for spending a small fortune on him, Matt Ryan looked really good in his debut.

Chris Johnson is making a case for more reps with each passing week.

Jerrod Mayo will win defensive rookie of the year.

Deangelo Williams begs to differ on the whole 'he's not starting material' debate.
Crackajg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby PMoneyTKE » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:37 pm

Crackajg wrote:Jerrod Mayo will win defensive rookie of the year.

That's a pretty big statement after only one pre-season game, against back-ups from one of the worst offenses in the league... :-?
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Crackajg » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:44 pm

PMoneyTKE wrote:

That's a pretty big statement after only one pre-season game, against back-ups from one of the worst offenses in the league... :-?

I've been on the Mayo bandwagon long before that pre-season game.

http://www.sports-central.org/sports/20 ... d_mayo.php
Crackajg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:47 pm

Right now alot of these are exaggerations, because everyone has been waiting for so long for some football some people are judging guys from one week of play, so keep in mind, especially for rookies, that the jury's not even close to being out on those guys, but just a few thoughts from me off the top of my head:

Tim Hightower showed some glimpses - He is strong in his base, and showed some impressive explosion, Edge is getting up there so he is definately somebody I want to have in Dynasties and I would keep an eye out for him in standard leagues depending on how well Edge plays early on.

Chris Johnson is going to be a playmaker - Loved him all off-season, and his game translates well, he is going to give owners fits trying to decide whether to start him consistently this week because when you do he could have a 80 yd total game, or score 3 TD's with 200+ total yds...Fact is he is a serious playmaker with breakaway speed and great hands, you do the math.

Felix Jones is legit - I didn't want this guy to be on the Cowboys and hated the pick, but his game translates VERY well and he will be one heck of a player...He is incredibly smooth, fluid, agile, and moves in space excellent, Garrett will have fun moving him around and with all those weapons around him he is bound to come up huge...He doesn't have the breakaway speed CJ does but he certainly has the tools to be an excellent 'lighting' part of a backfield.

Stop sleeping on Roddy White - He's a beast, and I have heard nothing but positives about him since last year, on into OTA's, into TC, and this first game...He is damn near uncoverable, nevermind the fact that the line sucks, QB play is erratic and constantly changing, OC's changing, he's just a gamer looking at another year of 80/1200, look out the next few years when the rest of the offense comes around, close to breaking into WR1 category and I love his game.

Matt Ryan looked very poised - He has been looking good all TC also, granted its very early to judge, but give the rookie credit for looking good behind that line, he may not end up being a Manning caliber QB but he looks like he could be a Hasselback and be very solid for a long time.

Ricky is back - Its early to proclaim that, but you could see he had that extra pep in his step out there, if his conditioning is up to speed look out if he gets 20 carries to start the season, the way he was running last nite 1000 yds is certainly a possibility maybe more if Brown gets hurt, Parcells wants to run quite a bit this year and really likes Ricky.

DeSean Jackson may have an impact as a rookie - If Philly can get him into space from the slot, McNabb will find him, his size still concerns me having to go consistently over the middle, but Philly has enough weapons in that offense to where he could be dangerous.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:48 pm

Crackajg wrote:
PMoneyTKE wrote:

Personally I don't think he beats out Curtis Lofton who is going to be a tackling machine this year especially in that defense...He has a nose for the ball and is the perfect situation...Mayo won't be the full starter the way Lofton will.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby PMoneyTKE » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:50 pm

Crackajg wrote:
PMoneyTKE wrote:

Just figured since it was a thread of preseason thoughts that's what you were referring to.
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PMoneyTKE » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:52 pm

Good summary LS2.

I agree with most everything you said. I don't know that I agree about Desean Jackson though. He just looked so small out there, he almost seemed to get lost in the middle of the defense on some plays. :-o
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:57 pm

DROY = Keith Rivers. Nuff said.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Crackajg » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:01 pm

PMoneyTKE wrote:
Just figured since it was a thread of preseason thoughts that's what you were referring to.

No problem. I should have elaborated. ;-D
Crackajg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting