Any thoughts from the preseason games so far...... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Any thoughts from the preseason games so far......

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Any thoughts from the preseason games so far......

Postby Crackajg » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:04 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
Personally I don't think he beats out Curtis Lofton who is going to be a tackling machine this year especially in that defense...He has a nose for the ball and is the perfect situation...Mayo won't be the full starter the way Lofton will.

That wouldn't surprise me.. guess we'll have to wait and see.
Crackajg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Popcynical » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:10 pm

Robert Meachem is alive.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:12 pm

Popcynical wrote:Robert Meachem is alive.

And looking like a 1st rd pick too...Got to be a good feeling for anybody who picked him up as a sleeper, he is in a great situation to suceed with his QB and the weapons around him...Hopefully he keeps it up.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:54 pm

Lamont Jordan has moved up my draft board.

That is about it so far. Not much new info from week 1 for me.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:56 pm

What I've learned from the preseason so far:

1. The Colts are dead in the water if Peyton Manning isn't healthy. Sure, he's almost certain to be 100%, but if anyone's seen the Colts first two preseason games, all three quarterbacks have shown just how important Peyton is to the Colts. I've always tried to give Jim Sorgi a little bit of a break because he's never really had the first team offense to work with. No mas. The Panthers game was a nightmare for Sorgi, who spotted Carolina 14 points from two of his turnovers. The guys behind Sorgi are Quinn Gray and The Pillsbury Throw Boy. Yikes.

2. If Manning is healthy, he may have the best group of pass-catchers he's ever seen working by his side. Harrison caught several passes early in the Panthers game and has practiced with the same speed and vigor seen in the old Marv. A full season of Harrison, Wayne & Gonzalez is sweet. However, it's the tight ends on the Colts that have really impressed me in the preseason. Clark is a given stud. Gijon Robinson and rookie Jacob Tamme look incredible, snagging everything thrown their way and getting great seperation in the open field. I don't think the Colts will miss the absence of Ben Utecht or Bryan Fletcher so long as Robinson and Tamme continue to play like they have.

3. Tim Hightower looks like he is the future of the Cardinals ground game. Obviously, it's very early. However, Hightower runs with authority, hits the hole fast and looks very tough to bring down. Edgerrin's turning 30 this year and will probably lose goalline carries to Hightower, who has fresh legs and a powerful trunk. Call it a sixth sense, but Hightower seems like the real deal.

4. The Raiders running game is going to be impressive. I don't know about you, but Michael Bush looked really good. Straight-ahead running with explosion is going to earn you more yards than bouncing around, and Michael certainly understands the concept of north-south running. Maybe the other Bush should take notice. The Raiders line was opening nice holes for both Bush and McFadden and will likely continue to be a run-first offense. Potential McFadden owners should take notice that the Raiders have a plethora of talent in their backfield and shouldn't expect the rookie to do too much with so many bodies getting carries.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:14 pm

TJack looks like he will actually make that step. I've been a disbeliever until watching the 1st quarter of the last game. We'll see though.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby B-eAsy510 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:32 pm

-Jason Campbell looks like he is comfortable in the new offense.
-Like the guy pointed out before , there will be a Rbbc in Oakland this year. ( All three RB's looked good and OaK will run a ton)
-Who the heck is David Clowney?
-All the Martz talk in SF and only a 2 field goals?
-Mendenhall looked solid and showed good vision and patience.
B-eAsy510
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mblax10 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Went to Bears-Chiefs Thursday. 2 teams with possibly the least fantasy interest, but here are some thoughts:

Matt Forte looked very good running and catching the ball out of the backfield.

Dwayne Bowe manhandled Charles Tillman the entire quarter they played.

Bears WR & QB situations are not any clearer. None of those guys except Hester should be rosterable except in very deep leagues. Bears #3 QB Caleb Hanie actually played much better that Orton or Grossman albeit against the 3rd team defense.

Hester only saw a few plays on offense. His one catch he ran a nice in route and did what he does to tack on some YAC.

Des Clark & Greg Olsen were both on the field almost every play the 1st team offense was on the field. A handful of 2 TE sets, Olsen also lined up at fullback or a slot WR a few plays. Considering the Ron Turner offense loves throwing to TE & FB and the lack of quality WR's or QB's Olsen & Clark should both get plenty of balls this year. Kellen Davis also looked very good and has had a great camp. Somebody to watch if there's an injury.

Finally, a non fantasy comment. The Chiefs punted away from Devin Hester the entire game. It's a pre-season game. What better way to see how good your punt coverage team is than to actually kick to the best returner in the league in a situation that dosen't matter.
mblax10
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby B-eAsy510 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:07 pm

mblax10 wrote:
Finally, a non fantasy comment. The Chiefs punted away from Devin Hester the entire game. It's a pre-season game. What better way to see how good your punt coverage team is than to actually kick to the best returner in the league in a situation that dosen't matter.

Good point. Pre-season doesn't matter much but at the same time when you have a young team like the Chief's have than wins can build confidence going into the sason so maybe that was the strategy.
B-eAsy510
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:24 am

mblax10 wrote:Des Clark & Greg Olsen were both on the field almost every play the 1st team offense was on the field. A handful of 2 TE sets, Olsen also lined up at fullback or a slot WR a few plays. Considering the Ron Turner offense loves throwing to TE & FB and the lack of quality WR's or QB's Olsen & Clark should both get plenty of balls this year. Kellen Davis also looked very good and has had a great camp. Somebody to watch if there's an injury.

Good info, as I have Olsen in nearly every single one of my leagues so I am interested in how they are used...I think Olsen outplays his ranking and ADP this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't reach 700 yds and 60 receptions, the fact that there aren't really any good WR options especially in the redzone the TE's will benefit mostly from those looks.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer