Wireless Routers? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Wireless Routers?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Wireless Routers?

Postby logan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:14 am

eagles21 wrote:I think I know what the problem is now, although I'm not really sure how to fix it. My modem is connected to my computer with a USB cable. When I unplug it, my internet connection goes away. The ethernet cable that is connected from my modem to the computer is not transferring the internet connection. How do I transfer the connection from the USB to the ethernet cable?

do you have an Ethernet port on your desktop?if so you go from the modem to the router to the comp with all Ethernet cables and eliminate the usb cable.if not i would suggest getting a pci Ethernet card if you don't already have one from your isp and hook it up that way.they are pretty cheap and are pretty much all the same.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eagles21 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:57 am

logan wrote:
eagles21 wrote:I think I know what the problem is now, although I'm not really sure how to fix it. My modem is connected to my computer with a USB cable. When I unplug it, my internet connection goes away. The ethernet cable that is connected from my modem to the computer is not transferring the internet connection. How do I transfer the connection from the USB to the ethernet cable?

do you have an Ethernet port on your desktop?if so you go from the modem to the router to the comp with all Ethernet cables and eliminate the usb cable.if not i would suggest getting a pci Ethernet card if you don't already have one from your isp and hook it up that way.they are pretty cheap and are pretty much all the same.

I have ethernet cables going from the router to the modem, and then from the modem to the computer. The problem is that when I unplug the USB cable (which is going from my modem to the computer), my Local Area Connection disappears completely when I open up the Network Connections window and I can't on the internet, despite there being an ethernet cable connecting my modem and my computer.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby logan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:11 am

eagles21 wrote:
logan wrote:

I have ethernet cables going from the router to the modem, and then from the modem to the computer. The problem is that when I unplug the USB cable (which is going from my modem to the computer), my Local Area Connection disappears completely when I open up the Network Connections window and I can't on the internet, despite there being an ethernet cable connecting my modem and my computer.

hmm that shouldn't happen. the usb cable should have nothing to do with it. the modem should be PnP without a usb cable period by using just the ethernet cable directly from the modem to the comp.was the modem provided by the isp or did you buy an aftermarket one? if it's an aftermarket one you may need to call your isp and give them the mac address on the modem so it will work.

it is possible that the ethernet port on the comp is either bad or disabled.my original dell wouldn't work so i installed a pci card for the ethernet port instead of using the on board version.you can usually turn on/of the ethernet port in your bios at start up but that would depend on how much access you have in the bios itself.

what kind of comp is it?
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eagles21 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:21 am

logan wrote:hmm that shouldn't happen. the usb cable should have nothing to do with it. the modem should be PnP without a usb cable period by using just the ethernet cable directly from the modem to the comp.was the modem provided by the isp or did you buy an aftermarket one? if it's an aftermarket one you may need to call your isp and give them the mac address on the modem so it will work.

it is possible that the ethernet port on the comp is either bad or disabled.my original dell wouldn't work so i installed a pci card for the ethernet port instead of using the on board version.you can usually turn on/of the ethernet port in your bios at start up but that would depend on how much access you have in the bios itself.

what kind of comp is it?

The modem was provided by the isp (comcast) when they came out to install it. It is an Arris Touchstone Telephony Modem. My computer is a Dell Dimension 8300 Intel with Windows XP.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby logan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:04 pm

ok lets see what going on in the network section of windows.do this while connected through your usb cable so we can see what connection it is using.

go to control panel/network connections and see how many options you have. you should have most likely two. one for the usb that should be receiving and one for your onboard ethernet port.right click on the non active connection and see if it says enable or disable as the first option.if it says enable then click on that and it will atleast let us no that the port is being enabled by windows itself.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eagles21 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:12 pm

logan wrote:ok lets see what going on in the network section of windows.do this while connected through your usb cable so we can see what connection it is using.

go to control panel/network connections and see how many options you have. you should have most likely two. one for the usb that should be receiving and one for your onboard ethernet port.right click on the non active connection and see if it says enable or disable as the first option.if it says enable then click on that and it will atleast let us no that the port is being enabled by windows itself.

I do have 2 (Local Area Connection and Local Area Connection 3). LAC 3 is the modem and the LAC is the "Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection". They were both connected when I went in, but disconnecting the LAC does nothing to my internet. It said disable since it was connected already.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moonhead » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:48 pm

dude, call the comcast helpdesk. that's what they get paid for.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby logan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:19 pm

yeah as much as i dread contacting any support getting the modem to connect through the ethernet port and cable is going to be the first priority and they may be the only ones that can help you get it up. they aren't to terrible as most of the times i've called them i've gotten decent service and usually fixed my problems. i really don't understand why if they installed it themselves they put it in as usb in the first place.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Balanced Man » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:03 am

Return it and get the apple. :-b
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:43 am

The Balanced Man wrote:Return it and get the apple. :-b

WORD!
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk