Chris Johnson... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chris Johnson...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chris Johnson...

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:04 pm

...is he gonna be the "Lightning" to LenDale's "Thunder"???

No. 1 Titans pick quickly makes his mark
Rookie Johnson sprints for 66-yard touchdown
By JIM WYATT • Staff Writer • August 10, 2008

It didn't take Chris Johnson long to create his "Welcome to the NFL" moment.

In what seemed like a split-second, the Titans rookie running back nearly went from one end of LP Field to the other on a 66-yard touchdown run. It was the highlight of Tennessee's 34-13 victory over the St. Louis Rams on Saturday night in the preseason opener for both teams.

"I didn't blink, I saw it,'' tight end Alge Crumpler said. "Everybody else looked like they were running for their lives and he was just so smooth. … I'm anxious to see the replay because it happened so fast.''

While most Titans fans came to LP Field looking to gauge the progress of quarterback Vince Young and last year's fifth-ranked defense, undoubtedly the majority left talking about Johnson.

He electrified the crowd, his coaches and his teammates in the second quarter when he took a handoff from Kerry Collins and raced untouched into the end zone. The run accounted for the bulk of Johnson's 77 yards on six carries and was part of a 340-yard rushing night for the Titans. He also caught a pass for 13 yards.

"I didn't know I'd have a run like that in the first game,'' Johnson said with a smile. "I just wanted to come in and have a good game, and let the organization know they didn't make a mistake with the first round pick.''

con't...

rest of article: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 00424/1027
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Chris Johnson...

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Johnson is a very good back. The only thing that he has against him is his size, but that is what people said about MJD. Johnson is extremely fast, has great hands, good vision, and makes great cuts.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby thriftyrocker » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:13 pm

40 times adjusted for weight: http://blog.nj.com/eagles/2008/04/runni ... trics.html

4. Jonathon Stewart 118.78
3. Rashard Mendenhall 118.98
2. Darren McFadden 120.05
1. Chris Johnson 121.91
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:11 pm

I think this guy has the ability to break open games. Balls to the wall speed. But at 205 you just can't take the everyday beating that it takes to be a 20+ carry back. He will definately be a great change of pace guy for years to come. Fantasy wise I think he ranks close to Felix Jones and the other 3rd down change of pace guys.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:50 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:I think this guy has the ability to break open games. Balls to the wall speed. But at 205 you just can't take the everyday beating that it takes to be a 20+ carry back. He will definately be a great change of pace guy for years to come. Fantasy wise I think he ranks close to Felix Jones and the other 3rd down change of pace guys.

I don't think they drafted him to be a 20 carry back, when you have Lendale White it be kind of pointless to expect him to get the ball that much...He will line up all over the place in a variety of ways, he will be a bigger home run hitter then Felix, but I have both guys ranked pretty closely in that tier with guys like Deangelo Williams, Ahmad Bradshaw, and others...CJ should be good value in every draft this year, I just have him rated higher then some of those other committee backs due to him being a threat to score every touch...You can tell Tennessee loves this guy, and if his performance continues the way it has the rest of this pre-season, he is going to out produce alot of backs being drafted ahead of him.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby peterparker » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:23 am

I think he will have performances similar to Lee Evans in the past few years, meaning he will rush for 40-50yrds 0td most of the time and have a few 100-150yds 1-2td weeks; obviously, his involvement in the passing game will also be a big factor in his stats. Lendale will get goal line carries so that will also limit his value. Commentators say he will be the "lightning" in the offense so it will be anyone's guess when he will strike. Unless he blows up and starts putting in consistent performances, e.g. AD's displacement of CTaylor last year, I would not risk starting him if you have a more consistent back.
peterparker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:49 pm

Does anyone else see Johnson as a 1000-1200 total yards (rush + receiving), 6-8 TD back? One would think that would poay as a weak RB#2 or a flex....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby VaderFin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:18 pm

I can easily see White going down with an injury and Johnson being one of the steals of the draft. This guy has ESPN Commercial for next year written all over him.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:58 pm

I'm still standing by my prediction that he will be drafted higher then Bush next year in redrafts...I haven't seen Bush utilize his explosion I don't think once the way CJ did in his first pre-season game, he doesn't waste time dancing around, he finds the seam and he is gone...I'm already killing myself on whether or not to start him as my RB2 this year, but if he continues through pre-season breaking off a long run once or twice a game then he's going to be a must start for me...I refuse to bench a guy who has potential for a huge game at any given time, and being that Tenn has no outside threats and they will be running the ball plenty, he's going to produce in that offense.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:16 pm

I don't see him as an exact Lee Evans. Why?

Lee Evans is a "one trick pony" he can catch the deep ball. He is hit or miss each week.

Chris Johnson is a running back which means I see him getting a MINIMUM of 4 carries a week, as well as some catches. AT THE VERY minimum. The fact that he has multiple ways to get into the offense and won't just be hit or miss because being a running back who can catch gives him better chances of not just being a big play one-hit wonder.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Next

Return to Football Talk