Chris Johnson... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chris Johnson...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Chris Johnson...

Postby peterparker » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:39 pm

I didn't say he is similar to Lee Evans skill wise, just that he could put up similar streaky stats. He had one good run in a preseason game. Every rookie RB is getting hyped as the next AD; obviously they all can't finish 1200-10. He is a good draft target, especially for those with Lendale, I just wouldn't start him week one.
peterparker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Humpback » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:22 pm

I see him frustrating a lot of NFL teams this year with his explosiveness, but a lot of FF owners as well. Similar to MJD, except for the major difference that he won't be the goal line RB. He'll break a few long TDs, but will you start him those weeks, or the weeks where he has 40 yds. and no TD's?
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:50 pm

peterparker wrote:I didn't say he is similar to Lee Evans skill wise, just that he could put up similar streaky stats. He had one good run in a preseason game. Every rookie RB is getting hyped as the next AD; obviously they all can't finish 1200-10. He is a good draft target, especially for those with Lendale, I just wouldn't start him week one.

I understand he isn't similar skill-wise...Lee Evans is a one-dimensial wide receiver, Chris Johnson is a multi-dimensional run-catch and do it with quickness combo.

I don't think he will be streaky. Maybe streaky by some definitions, but not the same streaky we see in Lee Evans. Lee Evans had 5 games in 2007 where he had less than 20 yards. I don't see that in Chris Johnson. He is going to find a way to get yards each week, I see minimum of 40 yards-combined each week, with some weeks he will get more because he will break a big play or two. I think that gives him a nice bit of consistency, that Lee Evans doesn't provide with his complete bust weeks.

Also, take into account where each are drafted respectfully. Chances are if you draft Lee Evans you are going to have him in your starting line-up each week (KFFL has him as the 23rd WR off the board which puts him as WR 2/3 area which makes him a starter in almost all leagues). Where Chris Johnson's ADP is 46th off the board, chances are he won't be starting for your team and you won't be burned by anything less the special out of him while he gets settled in the NFL and established a role.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby lebron23 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:34 am

If you mean streaky in terms of TD production, then yes he will be very streaky. White will be a goalline vulture no matter what, but Johnson's speed will spring him for a few TDs.

As a comparison, think about Mario Barber and Julius Jones last year. Now make Barber much worse and give Julius more carries near the end of the year and you have LenDale White and Chris Johnson in 2008. It will be by committee, but Chris Johnson will affect LenDale's fantasy production more than produce respectable fantasy numbers of his own.
lebron23
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Polar Bear » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:29 am

Truth is I think LenDale White is the sleeper on that team. He was a productive fantasy back last year and there is no reason to think he won't be this year. Johnson is no more than a handcuff to me.

If White gets hurt and Johnson sees most of the carries, then I think Johnson could be productive.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:01 pm

Chris Johnson has been climbing back up my draft board. I honestly didn't think Tennessee would give him any really shot this year, and they still might not, but it's hard to ignore results (in a preseason game).

Now instead of a best case scenario, I think it is LIKELY that Chris Johnson will get used a Reggie Bush like role. Lendale White starts out on the field, but Reggie Bush is used liberally and in passing situations. And now Chris Johnson has the upside that if Lendale screws up, he can take the job and run with it. I think the coaching staff has already made that decision. and if that happens, man lookout. Guy looks like Clinton Portis in Denver but with an extra gear.

Tennessee's defense is going to allow a LOT of carries go to Tennessee RBs this year.

Lendale White = Deuce McAllister 2006
Chris Johnson = Reggie Bush 2006

Both of these guys have value.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Polar Bear » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:35 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Chris Johnson has been climbing back up my draft board. I honestly didn't think Tennessee would give him any really shot this year, and they still might not, but it's hard to ignore results (in a preseason game).

Now instead of a best case scenario, I think it is LIKELY that Chris Johnson will get used a Reggie Bush like role. Lendale White starts out on the field, but Reggie Bush is used liberally and in passing situations. And now Chris Johnson has the upside that if Lendale screws up, he can take the job and run with it. I think the coaching staff has already made that decision. and if that happens, man lookout. Guy looks like Clinton Portis in Denver but with an extra gear.

Tennessee's defense is going to allow a LOT of carries go to Tennessee RBs this year.

One huge problem with the Reggie Bush analogy.

Vince Young is not even close to Drew Brees.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:49 pm

You don't need Drew Brees if you have the Tennessee defense.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby theimitator » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:15 pm

Polar Bear wrote:Vince Young is not even close to Drew Brees.

Yeah, have you ever seen Drew Brees run? :-b
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:42 pm

Polar Bear wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Chris Johnson has been climbing back up my draft board. I honestly didn't think Tennessee would give him any really shot this year, and they still might not, but it's hard to ignore results (in a preseason game).

One huge problem with the Reggie Bush analogy.

Vince Young is not even close to Drew Brees.

What does the QB have to do with that analogy, its a dead on comparison...I expect the time share for the Rb's to be the same, if you don't think CJ is going to have a huge impact your fooling yourself, read the press clippings, watch the coaches reaction on the sideline of the pre season game after his run, listen to how Fisher talks about the RB situation, CJ has a good shot at pulling in at least 50 balls and 1000+ total yds, he will be spotty with TD's because White is the goal line back but that means nothing when he's breaking off 60 yd runs, he will be a great play this season in all formats, and I can already see the frustration with owners who sat him when he exploded for 200 total yds and 3 TD's, were looking at Westbrook before he fine tuned his game to be the excellent inside runner he is today.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer