Anyone thinking Leinhart might be the steal of the year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone thinking Leinhart might be the steal of the year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone thinking Leinhart might be the steal of the year?

Postby Favre.com » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:31 pm

The offense is beyond stacked, and Leinhart has looked good at camp. Though he has been named the starter, I doubt they are "officially" handing the reigns over to Matt and as soon as he struggles Warner should be back in. Thoughts on what he can do this year?
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone thinking Leinhart might be the steal of the year?

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:39 pm

For his upside and where I have seen him go, yes he can be a steal this season. I just saw him drafted in the 16th round of a cafe league as a flier.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:39 pm

spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:12 pm

The offense is stacked, and I expected him to be good when he was drafted by the Cards.

However, I could not possibly have been less impressed with him since he came into the league. He's so afraid of making a mistake that a pair of great WRs are wasted on him, because he'll never throw downfield.

The guy threw 2 touchdowns in 5 games last year on the same team that a 36 year old Kurt Warner threw 21 touchdowns in 8 games on. If that's not an indication of his talent (or lack thereof), I don't know what is.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Azrael » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:56 pm

I listened to an interview with him on NFL Sirius today when they were at the training camp. He sounds like he has a much better understanding of the offense this year. He was talking about how last year he didn't understand the no huddle very well and Warner would come in and run that when they went NH. This year he feels like he's in command of that part of the offense. He said he doesn't panic when his first 2 reads aren't open like he did last year and he's more comfortable with checking down instead of looking to scramble. Sounded like the guy was at least aware of where his faults were and was working to improve them. Warner said that if he didn't get the starting gig he would be open to being traded to some place where he would be a starter.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby peterparker » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:46 am

Possibly, if he plays the whole year and the offense is as productive as 07 he would have 4000yds and 30TDs.
peterparker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Polar Bear » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:41 am

No I don't buy Leinart. I would draft Warner before him.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:46 pm

So many people are writing this kid off after 17 games. Just think about that. In terms of the NFL that is nothing. It seems like most QB in the NFL need upward of 50 games to start maturing as a player. So I think he's a good sleeper because he still is incredibly talented. On the con side, assuming he stays healthy this will only be his 2nd full season so expectations have to be kept in check.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:52 pm

Palmer did pretty well his 2nd full year starting (3rd year in the league). With the weapons Leinart has, I'd give him a decent shot at being a good sleeper. I'll have a better opinion once I see him get a little more action in the pre-season in weeks 2 and 3. I'm pretty sure they will name him the starter. But I'm hoping they don't do something like last year where Warner was the NH and GL QB.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:21 pm

Azrael wrote:Palmer did pretty well his 2nd full year starting (3rd year in the league). With the weapons Leinart has, I'd give him a decent shot at being a good sleeper. I'll have a better opinion once I see him get a little more action in the pre-season in weeks 2 and 3. I'm pretty sure they will name him the starter. But I'm hoping they don't do something like last year where Warner was the NH and GL QB.

There was an article today that said Leinart will stay in red zone because he understands audibles now.
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk