Anyone thinking Leinhart might be the steal of the year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone thinking Leinhart might be the steal of the year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Anyone thinking Leinhart might be the steal of the year?

Postby mystykoekaki » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:05 pm

Polar Bear wrote:No I don't buy Leinart. I would draft Warner before him.

;) ... ;-D
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby themanbeast9 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:47 am

Nope. Same thing happened to me last year. Everyone was saying that their offense was better than ever and how Leinart was looking so great in camp. Turns out I drafted him in the 8th round and Warner did better than him. I lokk at him as a ADEQUATE player every year.
themanbeast9
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:06 am

themanbeast9 wrote:Nope. Same thing happened to me last year. Everyone was saying that their offense was better than ever and how Leinart was looking so great in camp. Turns out I drafted him in the 8th round and Warner did better than him. I lokk at him as a ADEQUATE player every year.

Same story here, heard the same things last year, drafted him as a late rd sleeper who I could rotate in my lineup, and we know how that played out...Before you consider somebody the 'steal of the year' he is going to have to win the job outright, and until that happens I won't come close to drafting him.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:04 am

Well if by steal you mean a guy you can draft late that might give you mediocre stats then sure. I see Leinhart as another in the line of Ex-Trojan players who underperform their draft day projections.
But, I never thought that highly of him and that taints my opinions forevermore.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:44 pm

Just one local scribes opinion but...

Warner decision could have implications
by Kent Somers - Aug. 15, 2008 02:22 PM
The Arizona Republic

Ken Whisenhunt's decision to start Kurt Warner against Kansas City Saturday night might be an indication that Warner is closer to gaining the starting job than many have thought.

Matt Leinart remains the starter, and there was a notion that his competition with Warner was Whisenhunt's way of motivating the young QB. That might still be the case, but it seems odd that the coach would go to such great lengths to keep Leinart motivated. After all, Leinart hasn't played much since suffering an injury in the fifth game last year and could use all the snaps he could get.

The decision to start Warner probably shouldn't have been such a big surprise. This week, Warner ran the first team for two straight days. Whisenhunt downplayed that, but it was the first time it had happened in camp.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardina ... arner.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby onnestabe » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:44 pm

It's hard to say what will happen with Leinart. I think that he has a lot going for him if he gets the starting gig, though, and I am not shying from drafting him as my backup QB. The fact is, unless you are in a league that starts 2 QBs or has 30 man rosters, there will be someone available on the WW to use as a backup if Leinart doesn't win the starting job, and if your starting QB's bye week is later in the season, you will have time to look at what QB is coming out of nowhere like DA did last year (won't necessarily turn into a stud, but there will be one that plays well enough for fantasy backup and spot start duty.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby FatFoot » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:40 pm

Favre.com wrote:The offense is beyond stacked, and Leinhart has looked good at camp. Though he has been named the starter, I doubt they are "officially" handing the reigns over to Matt and as soon as he struggles Warner should be back in. Thoughts on what he can do this year?

I thought he'd be the steal of the year LAST YEAR. That didn't work out so well for me.

So... no. I don't.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby spodog » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:52 am

ok, so after watching some of the footage of him play Saturday night, I'm rescinding this support for him. He looked slow, confused and clod footed. Apparently, the guy knows he is in a catfight with Warner to hold the starting job and he still looked pretty bad.

I think I 'd have to agree with the comment that Warner should be drafted before him.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:31 am

spodog wrote:

ok, so after watching some of the footage of him play Saturday night, I'm rescinding this support for him. He looked slow, confused and clod footed. Apparently, the guy knows he is in a catfight with Warner to hold the starting job and he still looked pretty bad.

I think I 'd have to agree with the comment that Warner should be drafted before him.

Slow, confused and clod footed is exactly the impression I got from him his senior "ballroom dancing" year at USC. Blows bigtime that he will hold those wonderful WRs back until he and the Cards part ties.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:41 pm

I think what happened in New York, can't be ignored in Arizona.

Warner was the far superior option in New York, but they elected to start Eli Manning early and committed to their high pick. It may have cost them the plaoyffs that very first year, but a few years later they win the Super Bowl.

Arizona is a pretty stupid franchise though, so it's much more up in the air than it should be. If you read between the lines, you can surely see Kurt Warner starting at some point this year if Leinart starts playing poorly or experiences even a minor injury.

If anything, Warner and not Leinart could end up being the steal of the year off the waiver wire (again).
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk