Rankings my top32 WRs with commentary(long) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rankings my top32 WRs with commentary(long)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Rankings my top32 WRs with commentary(long)

Postby theimitator » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:59 am

lebron23 wrote:
theimitator wrote:I feel he'll at the very least duplicate those numbers, if not improve on them in this, his 4th year. I'm targeting him as a solid WR2.

The problem with that train of thought is that technically it's the same team. Dunn/Norwood probably isn't that much worse than Turner/Norwood. We have never seen Turner as a starter and Matt Ryan has never started a regular season game, so you can't definitively say they improved in the off-season.

Regardless, I doubt Roddy White can improve on his numbers from last season.

Last year, Dunn put up 720/4 with a 3.7 avg. That's not exactly an impossible number to improve on. Even if Norwood treads water with the same 613/1, I think it's safe to argue for an upside in the ATL running game. Turner has gone from a backup to a starter and Dunn from a starter to a backup for a reason.

With White having another year in the system and the NFL, I think the odds are he'll stay even, if not improve, with last year's level of production.
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Hit the nail on the head with these rankings. I love em!

Nice job as always Kensat
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lebron23 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:29 am

theimitator wrote:
lebron23 wrote:
theimitator wrote:I feel he'll at the very least duplicate those numbers, if not improve on them in this, his 4th year. I'm targeting him as a solid WR2.

The problem with that train of thought is that technically it's the same team. Dunn/Norwood probably isn't that much worse than Turner/Norwood. We have never seen Turner as a starter and Matt Ryan has never started a regular season game, so you can't definitively say they improved in the off-season.

Last year, Dunn put up 720/4 with a 3.7 avg. That's not exactly an impossible number to improve on. Even if Norwood treads water with the same 613/1, I think it's safe to argue for an upside in the ATL running game. Turner has gone from a backup to a starter and Dunn from a starter to a backup for a reason.

With White having another year in the system and the NFL, I think the odds are he'll stay even, if not improve, with last year's level of production.

Roddy White was very lucky to get the numbers he did, and it's a miracle he did it with Harrington at QB. My point was that the team didn't actually improve as much as was stated previously. Turner is an improvement in theory, but starting a rookie QB probably takes enough steps back to keep this offense maybe one step ahead of where they were last season. Roddy will need another miracle production season with Ryan at QB.
lebron23
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:28 pm

lebron23 wrote:
theimitator wrote:
lebron23 wrote:

Roddy White was very lucky to get the numbers he did, and it's a miracle he did it with Harrington at QB. My point was that the team didn't actually improve as much as was stated previously. Turner is an improvement in theory, but starting a rookie QB probably takes enough steps back to keep this offense maybe one step ahead of where they were last season. Roddy will need another miracle production season with Ryan at QB.

From what I've read, Petrino was truly a scumbag last year. I think they could have brought in almost anyone as a new head coach and the team mentality would have changed overnight. Could have a profound effect on how Atlanta fares this season. I mean if Atlanta's QB plays just OK, they can be an average team this year, and even then, you don't have to have even an average team to put up solid fantasy numbers at WR.

I think Roddy White can be the clear cut #1 WR there, and this is no longer the Michael Vick's Falcons. Joey Harrington won't see the field. Alge Crumpler is gone. An inexperienced Laurent Robinson looks like the most likely bet to win the #2 WR role there, but with Michael Jenkins it will probably be a committee. Turner is an improvement over Dunn, and Norwood is an excellent COP. I'm personally not buying a winning season for Atlanta this year, but I have to make the argument that they are good enough for Roddy White to be decent. He could easily become the goto guy and haul in 80-90 passes again this year.

It's very possible that Roddy White could be the next Chad Johnson. I'm not betting on it, but you could spend your 5th round pick far worse pretty easily IMO. I do not like Roddy White much earlier than that though, there are other WRs who are surer bets with similar upside.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:33 pm

Kensat30 wrote:From what I've read, Petrino was truly a scumbag last year. I think they could have brought in almost anyone as a new head coach and the team mentality would have changed overnight. Could have a profound effect on how Atlanta fares this season. I mean if Atlanta's QB plays just OK, they can be an average team this year, and even then, you don't have to have even an average team to put up solid fantasy numbers at WR.

I think Roddy White can be the clear cut #1 WR there, and this is no longer the Michael Vick's Falcons. Joey Harrington won't see the field. Alge Crumpler is gone. An inexperienced Laurent Robinson looks like the most likely bet to win the #2 WR role there, but with Michael Jenkins it will probably be a committee. Turner is an improvement over Dunn, and Norwood is an excellent COP. I'm personally not buying a winning season for Atlanta this year, but I have to make the argument that they are good enough for Roddy White to be decent. He could easily become the goto guy and haul in 80-90 passes again this year.

It's very possible that Roddy White could be the next Chad Johnson. I'm not betting on it, but you could spend your 5th round pick far worse pretty easily IMO. I do not like Roddy White much earlier than that though, there are other WRs who are surer bets with similar upside.

What is the word with Jenkins? I thought he showed some flashes, but must not be building on them?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby fierro33 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:27 am

great post....im going to comment on this just so it will be in my "view my posts" haha
fierro33
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:15 pm

moochman wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:From what I've read, Petrino was truly a scumbag last year. I think they could have brought in almost anyone as a new head coach and the team mentality would have changed overnight. Could have a profound effect on how Atlanta fares this season. I mean if Atlanta's QB plays just OK, they can be an average team this year, and even then, you don't have to have even an average team to put up solid fantasy numbers at WR.

What is the word with Jenkins? I thought he showed some flashes, but must not be building on them?

My take on Jenkins is that he has been the defacto starter for the past two years. And really, he has produced pretty much like a weak #2 WR should. Laurent Robinson apparently has a ton of talent, but hasn't been given a lot of opportunity due to the inexperience factor. But now with the new coaching staff and changes in the old guard personnel I think they will give him an opportunity. Since Jenkins is a weak #2, a talented young guy SHOULD displace him. Either way, I think Roddy White has shown enough talent and production to warrant a locked in 3 down "any situation" role on the Falcons. The more competition from the WR slot across from him, the better for his production.

I don't think Redman/Ryan will be able to get comfortable locking onto Robinson/Jenkins as opposed to Roddy White if they are only on the field for half the plays.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby MotorCityKitties » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:55 pm

What are your thoughts on Bryant Johnson? He SHOULD be the #1 in SF in a Martz offense, but it looks like O'sullivan has something going with Josh Morgan.
MotorCityKitties
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FatFoot » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:41 pm

Great read. Thanks for putting in the effort.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:22 pm

Excellent read. Good stuff. ;-D
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk