Clarity at Wide Reciever - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Clarity at Wide Reciever

Moderator: Football Moderators

Clarity at Wide Reciever

Postby B-eAsy510 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:51 pm

Im looking to clear up some of the WR situations for some teams. Any opinions on Jax , Oak , Sea . All of those teams have potential to have a top wideout but with injuries and what not there are openings for people to breakout. We know about Nate Burelson in Sea. but whos #2 there? Obanumu? What has he done for me lately? Jax has Northcutt and Oak has Javon Walker and Curry but do you really trust any of those guys. Anyhow Im just trying to clear some things up because I feel that someone will put up top end numbers on those teams and can be had later in drafts. Any opinions or other team situations where the WR position is unclear?
B-eAsy510
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Clarity at Wide Reciever

Postby thriftyrocker » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:56 pm

Seattle

Ben Obomanu - Completely mediocre player but only guy who has experience in the system. He will get a lot of the underneath stuff Engram used to live on and start in the slot.

Courtney Taylor - Much better athlete than Obomanu, but a little more raw. Some hamstring issues this summer, but should start as #2 beside Burleson and fill the DJ Hackett role.

Logan Payne - Will compete with Obomanu for the slot. Cracked ribs this summer but seemed to practice through it. Probably better than Obomanu but doesn't have the experience.

I think the first two are worth owning in deep leagues. Pick 'em in PPR leagues, lean towards Taylor in non-PPR. Definitely watch all 3.

Oakland

Ron Curry - Good cheap option in all formats, especially PPR. Limited upside, but should be consistently okay. Injury risk.

Drew Carter - Sleeper as big play threat. Showed some potential in Carolina.

I would add Curry or Carter in the last round if there wasn't anyone better. It's a less solid QB situation than Seattle, but the players are more established.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby LT Blue Colt » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:17 pm

I'm gonna keep an eye on Troy Williamson from Jacksonville. Sounds like he's liking the change of scenery, and is starting to show some of that speed and potential he has. After all he was a 7th overall draft pick in 2005. The whole draft thing doesn't really say much, sounds good though. But, he's got killer speed, and if I recall there was a guy by the name of Jimmy Smith who sure could run, and had a great time in Jacksonville. Just a thought. ;-D
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:11 am

LT Blue Colt wrote:I'm gonna keep an eye on Troy Williamson from Jacksonville. Sounds like he's liking the change of scenery, and is starting to show some of that speed and potential he has. After all he was a 7th overall draft pick in 2005. The whole draft thing doesn't really say much, sounds good though. But, he's got killer speed, and if I recall there was a guy by the name of Jimmy Smith who sure could run, and had a great time in Jacksonville. Just a thought. ;-D

Yeah, but unlike Troy Williamson I recall Smith as being a guy who would actually catch the ball when you threw it to him.
I wonder if Dennis Northcutt will finally realize his potential and step up, or if Jerry Porter will also live up to his talent once he returns from his hammy surgery.
Shame that Garrard is so promising, but his WRs are so shakey.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Jacksonville is a straight WR by committee. No one is worth owning from that team IMO. Why do you think they went out and picked up a ton of WRs the past couple of years?

They are not even looking for someone to be the guy. They are looking for mismatches in the redzone and guys who can get open in single coverage a few times a game. Fred Taylor and MJD will take care of the rest. Garrard is not expected to be the guy to carry the team, he just has to find the right matchup and not screw up.

The most telling stat from last season was Reggie Williams with like 30 catches and 10 TDs. That just tells you how much value any given Jaguar will have. Williams had 10 TDs last year and he's probably not even a top60 WR for most people.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Return to Football Talk