TV Troubleshooting - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

TV Troubleshooting

Moderator: Football Moderators

TV Troubleshooting

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:04 pm

I recently got an Insignia Flat Panel 19" TV/DVD Combo for my apartment, as a gift. I set it up and used it for the first time yesterday. I was blown away by the picture quality and really like the convenience of the built in DVD player.

It worked great yesterday but today I've run into some major problems. When I turn the TV on, to either regular television or a DVD, an image shows for a second or two then the screen goes black. The sound stills works fine but there's no picture. The user guide offers no help whatsoever. I've tried adjusting the connections, changing outlets, different DVD's, and pretty much anything else I could think of.

I don't know if there's something simply that I'm missing or if it's something wrong with the set and I should be returning it. But the fact that I'm having problems on only its second day of use isn't very encouraging.

Any ideas?
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: TV Troubleshooting

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:09 pm

Do they have a support line you can call? I'd give that a try. Also, search around the Internet for reviews on the TV, see if anyone else has had similar problems.

Also, have you noticed an 'excessive' heat coming from the vents? And if you turn it off for a while (say, to let it cool down) does the picture come back up and then go black? If you turn it off and then right back on, is there a picture or just a dark screen?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:18 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Do they have a support line you can call? I'd give that a try. Also, search around the Internet for reviews on the TV, see if anyone else has had similar problems.

Also, have you noticed an 'excessive' heat coming from the vents? And if you turn it off for a while (say, to let it cool down) does the picture come back up and then go black? If you turn it off and then right back on, is there a picture or just a dark screen?

I tried it in the morning, then left my apartment for a few hours and then tried it again when I came back. It seems to do the same thing every time I turn it on, a picture will show for a couple of seconds be then it just goes black.

Yesterday, I noticed that it comes with a screen saver that activates when you pause a DVD for more than a minute or two. The screen saver plays on a blue screen with the letters "DVD" floating around it. I also noticed that the screen saver will only play for a few minutes then the screen goes black until you press play to resume the DVD.

It seems like the screen saver may be stuck on right now and, from the user guide, I know that there is a way to disable it, but since I only have an image for a few seconds I don't have enough time to use the menus to turn it off.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:32 pm

It sounds like returning it is the way to go... don't become an inadvertant QA tester for them. The problem you're describing sounds like either 1) heat or 2) less likely, power supply. There are alot of possibilities, but it's tough to troubleshoot them without being there.

They have to have a tech support center, call them, see if they can do anything.

In those few seconds where the screen is available, can you swith from DVD to your (cable, satellite, antenna) input? it'd be a helpful diagnosis if you could, to see if maybe it's the DVD player messing up, or all inputs.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:50 pm

scottaa1 wrote:It sounds like returning it is the way to go... don't become an inadvertant QA tester for them. The problem you're describing sounds like either 1) heat or 2) less likely, power supply. There are alot of possibilities, but it's tough to troubleshoot them without being there.

They have to have a tech support center, call them, see if they can do anything.

In those few seconds where the screen is available, can you swith from DVD to your (cable, satellite, antenna) input? it'd be a helpful diagnosis if you could, to see if maybe it's the DVD player messing up, or all inputs.

I had a friend come over tonight to help me with it. She noticed that there is a picture even after it fads to a dark screen. It was just so dark and faded that I didn't even notice it before. With both of us squinting at the TV, from a couple of inches away, and with the help of the user guide we were able to navigate the menus enough to adjust the settings. Even after disabling the screen saver and turning the brightness way up, the picture quality didn't improve at all. All that can be made out is the faint outline of shapes.

I'll take your advice and give the tech support center a call to see if they have any ideas, but right now I'm not too optimistic that a solution will be found.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dream_017 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:07 am

The Cafe has a Tech Forum that may be helpful :-? ;-D O:-)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby moonhead » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:16 am

dream_017 wrote:The Cafe has a Tech Forum that may be helpful :-? ;-D O:-)

that site is blocked for me at work. isn't that strange? i can get to all the other cafes but the one with the tech forum. :t
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby dream_017 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:28 am

moonhead wrote:

that site is blocked for me at work. isn't that strange? i can get to all the other cafes but the one with the tech forum. :t

Why is it blocked? Does it say who/what is blocking it (such as WebWasher)? It was blocked for a while for me becuase it was listed as a certain type of site domain name O:-) but Menyak had it fixed and now works fine ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby moonhead » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:37 am

dream_017 wrote:
moonhead wrote:

Why is it blocked? Does it say who/what is blocking it (such as WebWasher)? It was blocked for a while for me becuase it was listed as a certain type of site domain name O:-) but Menyak had it fixed and now works fine ;-D

fails a rating check. i have a feeling it may have something to do with the word fantasy and nothing about sports in the title.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:18 am

moonhead wrote:
dream_017 wrote:
moonhead wrote:that site is blocked for me at work. isn't that strange? i can get to all the other cafes but the one with the tech forum. :t

fails a rating check. i have a feeling it may have something to do with the word fantasy and nothing about sports in the title.

maybe they can change to name to FantasySportsCafe or FantasyNotPr0nCafe?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk